Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Shuttle Commander: Payload
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:55 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

I started working on this figure a couple months back after seeing a 3D file for a Chris Hadfield bust and thinking his head would make for a nice update to Payload, while also being an homage to the real astronaut, much like Hasbro used to do back in the day. I modified the bust to be just the head, along with a socket for a Joe neck, then printed on a resin printer (so the results are a bit better than what would come from a filament printer). I went with yellow and black for the snoopy cap because I liked the coloring of V2 Payload better than V1.

I also wanted Payload to be able to walk around in jumpsuit/flight suit mode without all the 'space' stuff on him, so he'd be at home in a terrestrial diorama, aboard-craft diorama, or in space with the gear on. So I incorporated the chest stuff onto the helmet and made the helmet a swappable head instead of something that fits over his normal head. Because of this, and because I liked the color combo, I went with an opaque visor on the helmet. I printed in an orange resin, so I left the visor orange while painting the helmet yellow and black. This is also a good blending of V1 and V2, I think. I used a Matt Trakker body for the figure, with the printed Hadfield head.

The EVA I built myself going off pics of the original EVA. It still needs some tweaks, but it will work for dio use for now. I made the control arms adjustable length but they messed up a bit in printing, so I need to redesign them for strength and reprint. I placed the back peg based on the dimensions of the original EVA, but the body I used for Payload has the hole set higher than on some figures. Because of this, there are two spots for the peg -- the one that would be more like the original EVA or one right above it that is used for this figure. I didn't want the peg breaking off in the figure, so instead of designing the peg on the EVA, I made it a 3mm hole on the EVA, then used a piece of 3mm rod to make the peg. This also allows for using different lengths of peg, depending on need.

After I had made this figure, I saw the club's announcement they were doing Payload for the final FSS. Then I saw the color scheme they went with and it was enough like what I had done that I was afraid people would think I had copied. Because of this, I wasn't going to post this. Eventually, I decided I wanted to share it anyway, so here it is:

Ready for space walk:

From the back:

Inside/terrestrial mode (the head looks like it sits a bit high, but that's more the camera angle than actuality. In person, it sits about right):

Another view:

Back view:

Thanks for looking!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Shuttle Commander: Payload
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

I love the thought you put into it. I'm way envious of the resin printer. But that definitely captures the likeness.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:56 pm 

Thanks. I still have some dialing in to do but I'm pleased with how it turned out. Next is going to be Neil Armstrong as Countdown. I'd gotten out of doing 4" customizing, but I have gaps in my collection that need filled.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:39 pm 

Sorry for the back to back posts, but just realized the pictures don't actually show the helmet much, so here are a few shots of the helmet and the EVA:
The helmet is a model of a modern astronaut's helmet, modified with the chest piece attached to it.

On the EVA, the control arms are hinged for movement. I designed it to be a pretty close replica of the original that came with the Defiant and the Crusader, looking at reference pics of it to pick the tech detail to add to it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:18 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])