Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Black Major
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:14 pm 

The Red Shadows' field commander.

How do the knees look? I added them from a Cobra Commander figure to replace static Lobot knees.

Attachments:
blackmajorback.jpg
blackmajorback.jpg [ 182.81 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
blackmajorside.jpg
blackmajorside.jpg [ 218.78 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
blackmajorfront.jpg
blackmajorfront.jpg [ 173.87 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]
 Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Black Major
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:16 pm 

more images

Attachments:
blackmajorafc.jpg
blackmajorafc.jpg [ 185 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]
blackmajorafcpalitoy.jpg
blackmajorafcpalitoy.jpg [ 227.68 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]
blackmajorpalitoy.jpg
blackmajorpalitoy.jpg [ 122.37 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:17 pm 

more images

Attachments:
blackmajorwip.jpg
blackmajorwip.jpg [ 172.07 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]
blackmajorironblood.jpg
blackmajorironblood.jpg [ 180.43 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]
blackmajorhead.jpg
blackmajorhead.jpg [ 236.1 KiB | Viewed 658 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:24 pm 
DarkJedi'd

Can he stand upright?

I get what you're doing, I'm not sold on it if he can can only pose in dance positions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 pm 

Sadly, like Van Halen, he's destined to dance the night away.

I could chop off the feet, hollow out a ball socket and plug in some new style ankles/feet. But then I'd have to resculpt the bottom of the pants. I used the Lobot legs because of the pants. Lobot wears his pants... normally. Not tucked into or bloused around high boots like most Star Wars figures.

The figure also looks good in "front step kick" and "sitting down" poses. But, yes, it's entirely possible that I didn't realize that the closest the figure could do to standing straight would be a "Pocket Super Heroes" stance until I started on the knee swap. But know that I know I can add the knee articulation I'll do it more.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:21 pm 

some of the better articulated Indiana jones shoes or even waist down would fix it right up. I say it's all up to you, if he is riding in a vehichle or sitting at a war table for display then it's not an issue. it was a lot of work not to fully utilize the joints though.

great figure any way you go :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:40 pm 

Thanks! I appreciate your honesty, guys.

Now that I've had a few days to kick it around, I'm displeased with the legs. The knee transplants turned out great, but the squatting stance doesn't fig the character. As a more important character, Black Major should be able to at least stand totally upright. If this were, say, a vehicle driver or dedicated specialized weapons soldier of some variety, the pose would be much more tolerable.

At the moment, though, the work is still too fresh in my mind to let me tear it apart to rebuild. Probably a year down the road, I'll chop this figure apart at the waist and part in some new legs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:06 am 
DarkJedi'd

past nastification wrote:
Thanks! I appreciate your honesty, guys.

Now that I've had a few days to kick it around, I'm displeased with the legs. The knee transplants turned out great, but the squatting stance doesn't fig the character. As a more important character, Black Major should be able to at least stand totally upright. If this were, say, a vehicle driver or dedicated specialized weapons soldier of some variety, the pose would be much more tolerable.

At the moment, though, the work is still too fresh in my mind to let me tear it apart to rebuild. Probably a year down the road, I'll chop this figure apart at the waist and part in some new legs.

Please understand that we appreciate the ability you have to take parts and bash them together to make something really cool. I am not sure how many of your customs I like I have book marked for reference.

Now that you have decided to try something different, is there a way to simply find another head/helmet in your fodder and turn this figure into a different and new Red Shadows member? Seems like a waste to have it so far along. Turn it into a character that the squatting stance would work for.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:30 pm 

I've already found a waist/legs combo that will work. The beauty of the gunbelt is that it will hide additional work done beneath it, so to speak. I'm sure the existing legs can be parted out to a vehicle driver or more appropriate figure down the road. I'll have to let this one sit for a while before I do the .5 version.

I didn't take the critiques as anything but valid points. There are many, many times when my customs get little or no feedback, which is very frustrating- but expected since I work with so many non-25A format customs. I like working with junk parts. It's a curse. So, ANY feedback is always welcome. NO feedback is when I just assume I'm made a pile of steaming crap.

This was an experiment in adding articulation to a figure. From that perspective, it worked. But I picked the wrong character to try it on. From that perspective, it failed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:46 am 
DarkJedi'd

past nastification wrote:
I didn't take the critiques as anything but valid points. There are many, many times when my customs get little or no feedback, which is very frustrating- but expected since I work with so many non-25A format customs. I like working with junk parts. It's a curse. So, ANY feedback is always welcome. NO feedback is when I just assume I'm made a pile of steaming crap.

Hmmm, I always kinda felt that if there are a lot of views and few comments, that there really isn't any critiquing to do and that effort is a go.

The beauty of what you do is that you can take those parts and somehow put them together in a way to make a new character.

I just looked over my master list of customs I like (a spreadsheet of all the ones I've tagged with "dj") and there are 85+ customs of yours included on it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:53 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

PN, I love the stuff that you do. Your ability/willingness to mix parts is a lot of fun.

I kept going back and forth on Major’s legs, and his pose works but is limited. It’s a great start!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:08 pm 

Thanks, much appreciated.

The figure will get the leg upgrade somewhere down the line...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])