Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: First attempt at casting and sculpting.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 pm 

Here is the results of my first attempt at casting and sculpting. They are not perfect but I think the turned out pretty good. Still having some trouble with the neck posts forming correctly, but I'm making progress.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: First attempt at casting and sculpting.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:48 pm 

i'd say that's awesome! at a first go especially! you have talent for sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:38 am 

Thanks Dark, I try. I need to get some better stuff to work with. I'm gonna try to make molds for a few of the ones I sculpted on this week and see how they turn out

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:36 am 

Looks great.

Just curious, why cast the ugly Grunt/Zap/Grand Slam head? It seems like the Flash/Hawk/Steeler/Short-Fuze head, which almost looks like a young Robert Patrick as the T-1000, would be more versatile...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:38 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Your casts are looking good. The sculpting could use some work; I've found that the deep grooves that you used, though maybe more lifelike, seem a little off with the soft sculpting of the original Joes. It works much better on the Marvel figure that you posted.

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:36 pm 

past nastification wrote:
Looks great.

Just curious, why cast the ugly Grunt/Zap/Grand Slam head? It seems like the Flash/Hawk/Steeler/Short-Fuze head, which almost looks like a young Robert Patrick as the T-1000, would be more versatile...

Grunt was my first Joe. It has always been one of my favorite figures. I was never really like the flash heads, I prefer the Ace head which I’m planning on casting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:37 pm 

chad_ghost wrote:
Your casts are looking good. The sculpting could use some work; I've found that the deep grooves that you used, though maybe more lifelike, seem a little off with the soft sculpting of the original Joes. It works much better on the Marvel figure that you posted.

Thanks, that’s the first time I have ever sculpted. It’s a learning process.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:41 pm 
Plug
Plug

Wow, those are way better then either of my first attempts. My first casts had a seam right down the middle of the face. The next had a huge air bubble in the middle of it. My first sculpting looked like chewed bubble gun wrapped around a head.

The take away I've learned from sculpting is you don't have just one go at it. You can sculpt, let it dry, refine it with sand paper or xacto, sculpt over it, rinse and repeat. I always feel like I'm under the gun trying to figure out whether to cut the blue or red wire when working with two part sculpting material, but I'm starting to find I'm happier with the end results of doing smaller bits and building up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:27 pm 

pluv wrote:
Wow, those are way better then either of my first attempts. My first casts had a seam right down the middle of the face. The next had a huge air bubble in the middle of it. My first sculpting looked like chewed bubble gun wrapped around a head.

The take away I've learned from sculpting is you don't have just one go at it. You can sculpt, let it dry, refine it with sand paper or xacto, sculpt over it, rinse and repeat. I always feel like I'm under the gun trying to figure out whether to cut the blue or red wire when working with two part sculpting material, but I'm starting to find I'm happier with the end results of doing smaller bits and building up.

I’m happy with how the two Mohawks turned out, the beard on Grunt is t what I was wanting but it wasn’t bad. The other Grunt looks almost like a bad hair piece. I figure with more practice and better materials I will get better

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])