Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Custom Hiya Toys Superman
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:46 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

There are some decent reviews of this toy in the Hiya thread in the toy section. This is my response to the notes flaws.

First, overall design. I don’t love armored Superman. But I also don’t love spandex and red underwear Superman. I saw potential here for a solid mix of the best of both. Simplest solution was to cut off the shoulder pads. It goes a long way I think. Trying to decide whether to leave the blue armor pieces holding the cape down, as-is, or whether to paint them red. The benefit of a clean production Superman logo and outfit over the crappy customs I’ve been trying is pretty huge.

Second, the head is just not Superman to me. It’s less Superman than Cavill, and he barely qualifies for me. So I went to the DC movie line Reeves head. It might look a little strange on the modernish suit, but it’s growing on me. I worked at making sure the neck ball fit the same way as in the production head. As a result he has solid forward facing articulation for flying.

Third, articulation. Speaking of that movie line fig, in addition to being too clean and plastic-y, it had weird articulation. And lots of spandex. And a weird crotch, and... so anyway, the Hiya Supes has the best starting point articulation if any 4” scale Superman I’ve seen. Some of the Infinite Heroes figs we’re close, but are way too tiny.

Starting point is solid, but needed work. Chief mentioned the hand articulation (and small fist) being bad. I don’t mind the joint to be honest. But the small fist was weird. For me all I did was take an MU fist and splice it onto the socket part of the HIYA hand. Same attic, better proportion

Bigger problem for me was that the arms stuck out too wide at his sides. So I shaved bicep and armpit plastic on both sides then paint matched.

I’m much happier with him now. Only downside is seeing the current one makes me shake my head at my sorry ass previous version (which will now be getting the Bizarro treatment). ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Custom Hiya Toys Superman
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:55 am 

that's super …….man :)

you should take on the obese duo pluv posted about :) I looked in my fodder but nothing really jumped out. I have the starwars heavy pasty whiteguy, but nothing for a rotund WW. I think your style would be an awesome super gritty fluffy duo.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Nice mods.

I'd been wondering what to do about that Superman. I also dislike the shoulder pads. And the neck seems a tad long out of the box (looks like you addressed that here).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:16 pm 

The head works. Nice figure.

Cavill would've been better suited to take over the role of Wolverine, as long as Marvel decides to keep him tall in feature films.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:58 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])