Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Cobra 1982 by HissHissFangFang
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:03 am 

First presented in 2017, this set is a custom/kitbash companion/rival set for G.I. Joe "Original 13" of 1982, done in 25th and 30th Anniversary style. This set has gone through numerous iterations over the years, but settled down to its current incarnation in 2017. I originally wanted these to stay true 25th construction, but the price/availability of Dollar General figures in 2013 (and those terrible 25th Trooper arms and hands) changed all that.

This started as one of four 13-figure 25th Anniversary sets I originally wanted to complete and display when the line got rolling back in 2007-2009. This Cobra group was set up to display next to my G.I. O13//OG13 set and takes a lot of cues and inspiration from those figures to fill out the group.

Picture below is from 2017. I think only the Cobra Guard(s) have been tweaked since.
Front: Trooper, Comm Officer, Dr. Venom, Commander, Baroness, Field Officer, Trooper.
Back: Guard, Air Trooper, Machine Gunner, RPG Trooper, Flame Trooper, Guard.

gCobra_25th_86-82_2017-0704d by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

Early iterations of this group had the HISS driver as well as other figures like the Cobra Diver, but I felt those guys weren’t 1982 enough, so they go booted out. Another iteration had many more duplicates to better reflect how this set would have been assembled by us kids back in 1982 (if we had the money) and also stay true to the Hasbro and Collector’s Club pattern of including duplicates to fill out large sets. But I had some figure ideas I really wanted executed as shown, and Hasbro figures like the Cobra Air Trooper really fit well here. Still, even when creating a new figure, I wanted to maintain a figure build and color uniformity to all--similar to the first 1982 Joes as a set (that’s what I absolutely love about the Joe O13). Plus the final set still includes duplicates of the Trooper, Guard, and Heavy Weapons Trooper.

Below taken last December, mirroring my current Joe O13 display. But my actual Cobra O13 display currently is part of a larger Cobra Shelf Display, comprised of six 13-figure sets. More on those in other threads.

gCobra_25th_86-82_2018-1209ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-00_2018-1209af by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

Uploads to the gallery from this set will be flagged in this thread. Also, please post any comments or questions for those figures in this thread. Thanks for looking!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Cobra 1982 by HissHissFangFang
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:17 am 

I really like the dynamic posed og13 v. pic. also I like the absence of stands. i like how your og13 are not all in the same shade of green, and your cobra set (except baroness and CC) are. despot extremist are much more fussy about dress codes :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:17 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
I really like the dynamic posed og13 v. pic. also I like the absence of stands. i like how your og13 are not all in the same shade of green, and your cobra set (except baroness and CC) are. despot extremist are much more fussy about dress codes :)

Thanks. All the things you mentioned were priorities to me, which hopefully also illustrates how much my group design feeds the individual. The dynamic pose is one I was set on using since 2009, when I finally completed my Hasbro Issued 25th figures. Trying to perfect that group pose is the sole reason I got into customizing in the first place!

The absence of stands was one thing I wanted to do for this group pose since 2009 as well. Finally developed a system using small earth magnets sized for footpegs, and metal plates//magnetic vent cover strips. There's a thread I started over at the H'Tank that kinda documents that journey that I can sort of migrate over here if there's interest. At last year's Assembly Required, I was trying to see if RaginSpoon could somehow modify his modular display system to allow for a magnetic support system. But is was really difficult to open up the plates to see what could be done.

Shades of green on the Joes...more on that when I start that thread. For the Cobra Blueshirts, I wanted them to all look the same via squint test, but different on close inspection.

Finally got one of the figures added to the gallery (first lesson regarding lag time between submission and display):
gCobra_25th_82-CobraGuard_2019-0714ad by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:03 am 

I know drbindy has used the magnet foot peg. he sent me a couple, but I don't think I put them in feet. I've done heads, wings, maybe a few other magnet based attachments. using the magnets, you still had to get those natural poses. I think one benefit of the figure standing on it's own is a more natural pose. sometimes it's not possible when either the figure or surface has issue. I actually thought you used the steps to sure up the figures and they were just standing under their own weight! I have some magnet sheets I want to use on a wrestling ring :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 am 

The magnets help keep the pose and spacing without ever tipping over, allowing some slight sense of motion:
20190622_122852 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr
Poor Stalker, had to keep this pose for almost a week, where the figure ankle joint was starting to fatigue:

My first year of photos was filled with frustration of figures constantly tipping over during shoots. Backpacks made it worse.

Also, can free you up from having both feet flat on surface:
2018-08-03_07-19-42 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

And then, other stuff, other possibilities yet to be discovered:
Image20180803_201913 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:55 am 

Cobra Officer is up. Package art inspired photo was done Dec 2018, along with the other two 1982 Cobra figures. Since I don't think I will be uploading my entries for the Trooper and helmeted Commander to the gallery (not enough customized work to warrant), I present them here and now. I mirror flipped the Officer to work better for the composite pic.

gCobra_25th_82-xOfficer1_2018-1229a by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-xCommander1_2018-1229a by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-xTrooper1_2018-1229a by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-3p1_2018-1229ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:21 am 

Amazing work.

And now I need to add magnets to all my figures’ feet. Thanks a lot [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 pm 

very nice!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:44 pm 

A few more are up in the gallery...

Cobra Communications Officer (w/ Cobra Officer):
gCobra_25th_82-2p4_2017-0708ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

Baroness & Doctor Venom:
gCobra_25th_82-2p5_2017-0708ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

Hooded Cobra Commander:
gCobra_25th_82-CobraCommander_2019-0722db by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

This Hooded Cobra Commander is not actually part of my Cobra O13 set. He's part of another "C13" set of my faves from 1983-1986. There won't be a separate thread for this C13 set--instead figures therein will be lumped in with other threads. But below is that assembled group, in normal photo style and in "side of a van" rendered style (with an earlier version of this custom):

gCobra_25th_Shelf-2HighCommand_2017-1122a by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_Shelf-2HighCommand_2017-1120c by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:54 pm 

More pics of the Hooded Cobra Commander, taken in recent months are below.

gCobra_25th_82-CobraCommander_2019-0722ec by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-CobraCommander_2019-0722fb by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

Working on this version alongside the Cobra Guard spawned an idea for a concept repack of those ToyRus Senior Ranking Officer three-packs, except done in 30th style and inspired by the Marvel Comic Colors:

gCobra_25th_82-3p1_2019-0723cb by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-3p1_2019-0731ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-3p1_2019-0731bi by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

2019-08-14_12-07-45 by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

gCobra_25th_82-3p1_2019-0723db by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:45 pm 

really beautiful photo work! the packaged virtual set is superb!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:02 pm 

Really amazing work. Love the gold

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:41 pm 

Cobra Air Trooper and Cobra Flame Trooper are up. Both were inspired by OG13 Joes Grand Slam and Flash, respectively. The Air Trooper also is intended to inherit the Viper Glider in 1983, replacing that trooper repaint in my reimagined toy lineup.

gCobra_25th_82-2p3_2017-0708ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:56 am 

Two more figures added to the galleries--actually added almost 2 weeks ago, but forgot to upload this thread.

These two figures are really identical builds, with different weapons and corresponding backpacks. I've been tempted over the years to diversify these two more, but the greater desire to keep unifomity of the nameless faceless troops always wins out.

gCobra_25th_82-2p2_2017-0708ab by HissHissFangFang, on Flickr

https://www.joecustoms.com/customs/cust ... 1&id=18748

https://www.joecustoms.com/customs/cust ... 1&id=18747

I've got one more coming for this set, as I've just recently updated by light blue Combat Helmet Commander.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:08 pm 

I really like the helmet/goggle/head combo of these. it brings a lot of realism into the figure. really nicely done especially the photo work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:58 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])