Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wolfrum
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 pm 

Wolfrum
Magma Spearman

All parts: Magma Man (Remco)

Spear: Crystal Warrior Battle Set (Remco)
Prisma-Crystal: Magma Man (Remco)

Moltar had a number of followers who became Magma Men. But rather than simply army-build the Magma Man figure, I wanted to give each one a unique name and colouration. Wolfrum here is a repaint of the Magma Man figure, and detail added to his eyes and chest prism. He is inspired by a magma warrior carrying a spear in the first issue of the comics.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Lavour
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 pm 

Lavour
Magma Consort

All body parts except hair: Ayy Vida (Star Wars)
Hair: Baroness (modified)
Whip: Magma Man (Remco, modified)

Lavour was a very prominent character in the Crystar comics through the entirety of its run. But since it was an 80’s toyline, the perception (accurate or not) was presumably that a female figure would not sell well. I found a Star Wars figure with the appropriate articulation (neck, shoulders, hips and legs), and replaced its headdress with the Baroness’ hair, trimmed down at the sides a bit to fit better. The mottled effect on the skin was made by dabbing hot glue at random on the body, letting it cool, then painting with a base coat before the final colour. The prism thing on the chest was cut off the side of the weird dark green weapon thing that came with the Crystal Warrior Battle Set.

Post subject: Sulfira
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:32 pm 

Sulfira
Magma Woman

Head: Princess Leia (Star Wars)
Arms, legs, body: Ayy Vida (Star Wars)

In a couple of issues of the comics, we see at least one magma woman mixed in with all the magma men. I found a Star Wars figure with the appropriate articulation (neck, shoulders, hips and legs), and replaced its head with one from Princess Leia. The artist really did us a favour by giving her Leia buns, which made finding an appropriate head very easy. The mottled effect on the skin was made by dabbing hot glue at random on the body, letting it cool, then painting with a base coat before the final colour. The prism thing on the chest was cut off the side of the weird dark green weapon thing that came with the Crystal Warrior Battle Set. Like the Magma Men customs, I gave this character a unique name since Moltar had a limited number of followers.

Post subject: Re: Custom Crystar figures - now with more Magma Men!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:27 am 

the ladies are really cool! or hot!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:51 pm 

I can't tell you how happy these customs make me. I love the Crystar line, and I also spent plenty of time staring at Crystar's companions and trying to figure out exactly which unnamed figure represented which one. These all look great, and I love that you've mixed in some appropriately-articulated figures to fill out the line. Please keep them coming!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:36 pm 

sgartz wrote:
Please keep them coming!

Glad to hear you like them as much as I do. I have a few more to post of the original series, and then I hope to be able to post some more original creations later on.

Post subject: Feldspar
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:32 pm 

Feldspar
Regent

All parts and accessories: Feldspar (Remco)

The Saga of Crystar: Crystal Warrior was a short-lived toyline produced by Remco in 1982. It was unique because the idea for the line originated with Marvel Comics - they wanted to develop a toyline that they would then promote with a comic book that they would produce. Sadly, the line was not successful, and the comic run came to an end after 11 issues. But this line holds a special place in my heart. I had a number of the toys as a kid, and they were completely awesome. So as I built a collection of the figures, I wanted to do customs with them, along the lines of what would have happened had Remco made better toys and the line had seen some success.

This custom of Feldspar, the allegedly-neutral regent, is simply a paint upgrade of the original. The original figure had very little in the way of paint applications, so the entire lower half was repainted. The legs and groin area were painted to match, since the original paint on the lower torso and the plastic of the legs didn’t quite match.

Post subject: Ogeode
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:32 pm 

Ogeode
Wizard of Order

All parts and accessories: Ogeode (Remco)

The Saga of Crystar: Crystal Warrior was a short-lived toyline produced by Remco in 1982. It was unique because the idea for the line originated with Marvel Comics - they wanted to develop a toyline that they would then promote with a comic book that they would produce. Sadly, the line was not successful, and the comic run came to an end after 11 issues. But this line holds a special place in my heart. I had a number of the toys as a kid, and they were completely awesome. So as I built a collection of the figures, I wanted to do customs with them, along the lines of what would have happened had Remco made better toys and the line had seen some success.

Ogeode the good(ish) wizard receives a paint upgrade, since the paint applications on the original figures are very sparse. In addition to his beard and eyes, I painted the symbol on his chest (which he shares with his nefarious counterpart Zardeth) blue and red, since it looks like it’s supposed to represent both the crystal (order) and magma (chaos) sides of the conflict. The eyes were left without pupils intentionally, since that’s how the character was portrayed in the comics - how mysterious!

Post subject: Zardeth
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:33 pm 

Zardeth
Wizard of Chaos

All parts and accessories: Zardeth (Remco)

Zardeth the evil wizard receives a paint upgrade, since the paint applications on the original figures are very sparse. In addition to his facial hair, headdress and eye, I painted the symbol on his chest (which he shares with his counterpart Ogeode) blue and red, since it looks like it’s supposed to represent both the crystal (order) and magma (chaos) sides of the conflict. The eyes were left without pupils intentionally, since that’s how the character was portrayed in the comics - how mysterious! I painted the chest grey to give the appearance of some sort of shirt under his robes, since that’s how he appeared in the first issue of the comic.

Post subject: Zardeth v2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:33 pm 

Zardeth
Evil Seer

All parts and accessories: Spell of the Evil Wizard set (Remco)

Zardeth is one of only two characters to have been released as two different versions, the other being his counterpart Ogeode. He receives a paint upgrade, since the paint applications on the original figures are very sparse. In addition to his facial hair, headdress and eye, I painted the symbol on his chest (which he shares with Ogeode) blue and red, since it looks like it’s supposed to represent both the crystal (order) and magma (chaos) sides of the conflict. The eyes were left without pupils intentionally, since that’s how the character was portrayed in the comics - how inscrutable!

Post subject: Re: Custom Crystar figures - the wizards finish up the set
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:22 pm 

Amazing work on each of these.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:39 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Helluva project. Nicely done

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:38 am 

Wow, wow, and more wow.

You've shown that it's about sculpt and paint far more than articulation. Awesome set, and I wasn't aware of the comics-only figures you made. Fantastic work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:26 am 

really great showing, great pics, and info. I wasn't aware of this line at all and this was a hell of an introduction!

group pic?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am 
JC Podcaster

Fantastic work! I loved both the comic and toyline, too bad they were both short-lived :(

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Follow me on Twitter: @The_Spectre_DK

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:02 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])