Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2dark2 CV19
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:41 am 

Man, your eye for stuff to turn into dios is the best around. The Lite Bright peg and spent cartridge, that's genius.

Your creatures are disturbed and terrifying. I love them.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:58 am 

Thanks sgcaper!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:42 pm 

I have been painting a lot, but have fallen behind on pics. or jumping ahead on projects....

I decided to make a few more xeno blood containers. I dug out some 22 shorts and kilt a tree my wife was going to cut down. the litebrite pegs I picked up yrs ago and have used a bunch of times (too big for grands litebrite) and storing them in the rotary tool boxes isn't new either. I think the addition of the brass does set them apart and give a great look in the case and out. I also picked out some stickers.
im not thrilled with the "caution" sticker. the black stand and purple table are cheap flashlight heads.

I bought these skulls to go in my vials, but they were just a tad big. here in a second type of rotary tool box. monkey skulls for the lab.

I've had this little desk box for a couple years. the boxes nested inside were from my work and was what "pearl stringing" wire came in. that was something I didn't work with but nabbed the boxes before they got pitched.
I got a bunch of cheaply made rubber insects from a big lot. most of them are easter basket fodder but I got the idea to use some for "alien" eggs.
and a tech looking bug
I was wondering if black light would make them glow, yup :)
i'm not sure if they will stay in the slide boxes or get shuffled around to make room for other specimens.

after spray painting the specimens shown earlier I decided to grab the "skulls" from my planned dragon hunter trophy wall that got sprayed months ago. so I could paint them at the same time. here is a pic of those pieces.
t-b l-r
spike tail, orb
naga, bull alien, sky serpent, razor toothed dragon, shield beast
bog beast, shrek, predalien, firespitter dragon
all temporary names thus far.

jumping ahead. after I saw kramer70's great stone work I decided to take the plunge. I had some pink foam I had cut for another project over a year or two ago. late last night I measured 1/2" increments top to bottom in 4 lines across the board, then I free handed stones moving around at random. I just used a bic pen with varying pressure. it pressed in easily and tore some too. after I had all the blocks I went back around deeply tracing some. then I used my fingernail and the pen lid gauging and lightly scratching. lastly I used the pen to pop holes of varying depth and the blunt end to pop circles. I ended up with this.
and filtered to get a better view of the lines
this wall won't hold half of my skulls, but I have another piece this size. weather I make another this style will depend on if this works out.

that's it for now. I have lots of specimens and skull mounts ready for pics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:23 pm 

Looks great . Good color choice . I have always been intimidated by doing this , however I’m sure you can attest to how simple it really is

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:31 pm 

thanks. i have seen it done a bunch, actually doing it was a lot of work. i hope the paint goes how i envision it.

do you mean the color choice of the pink foam? it's getting painted for sure :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:06 pm 

Man more great work. I so want lite brite pieces and .22 shells. Those are awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 pm 
JC Podcaster

sgcaper wrote:
Man more great work. I so want lite brite pieces and .22 shells. Those are awesome!

Me too. That is a brilliant use of found items!

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Follow me on Twitter: @The_Spectre_DK

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:53 pm 

Awesome work

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:34 pm 

thanks spec and sgcaper! it's funny such a whim turns out to be so liked! the little boxes are getting scarce in my stash, but I have a good bit of litebrite pegs. when I either find or buy some more 22 short i'll make some more up. I have a bunch of 22lr so worst case I could cut some down.

I really appreciate the feedback josh.kestner!

just a drybrush on this awesome ap scorpion. a giant alien specimen.

this turned out one of my favorite critters. I never heard of a neomorph alien ,but when I saw the figures I instantly wanted them. this is the toddler.
I love the details of the crab claws trick my mind into seeing faces! I see small eyes and the big mold mark as a primitive ear drum.
and that duckish smile, so cute....

I dubbed these snailiens. they are giant venomous spined invertebrates who are toxic if ingested to most lifeforms. that alone makes them worthy of study in my lab, but they also have a unique defense against predators before only seen on the now lost planet earth. much like the eye spots on insect and aquaria catalogued from earth they have evolved with a pattern to mimic the xenomorph. in the dark void of space it is effective extreme caution should be taken with these scavengers.
they seem to like human skin more than the "meat" and can strip a corpse in very little time.
these are both made of exactly the same parts so I tried to mold different poses and paint them in a similar yet distinct way. trying to paint skulls that are not skulls was a challenge. I covered the skull areas with thick uv glue to try and add more depth.

this is a hybrid of a slither parasite and a space crab. an exoskeleton and bone crushing digits combined with the blind and ravenous slither species these should never be allowed to exist outside the lab.

vampire virus specimens. the virus attacks the circulatory and nervous systems of a wide range of hosts. it only exists in darkness or artificial light. as exposure to uv rays instantly kills the virus, but if infected for more than a few hrs also kills the host. these are "tube" creatures except for the starfish looking devils tongue which is from a skylander figure. containers are from the dollar tree craft section.

the female carrier near bursting with millions of infected spores.
ovum orbis satanis "the egg balls of satan"

the "male" carrier of the vampire virus dubbed the devils tongue. can impregnate any living organism with the virus just by rubbing against exposed flesh (licking).
stamina satanis

earth 2 fetal aquaria infected w/ vampv

unknown deep space larva ( technicians dubbed martian pickle) infected w/ vampv

I had a lot of pics of this guy that were blurry. hopefully it was just me being tired last night. I will try a different set and see if I can get better detailed shots. for now here are the best. ripley the xeno dog.
he loves to play catch!

I emptied over 350 pics from my trash this round! I still have many pics to take/retake coming of the dog alien, winged alien, and all those skulls.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:38 pm 

Nightmarish stuff man!

Oneforceleader, Rambo, ronin, Silent Master, Suburbanator
toy-nutz, Tsunami, Wowboy, pugsley, spin doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:52 pm 

thanks bucky!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:20 pm 

More wicked-looking stuff! You really have a great eye for parts!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:35 pm 

thanks sgcaper! a lot of the critters were just swapping parts around until i got something. the slug spiny bit is the seahorse body left from using the tails on the queen spawn. the crab claws are from the same dollar tree bag of sea life as the sea horses, and you got one of the crabs that i made that giant facehugger beasty during the cobra la gp :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:48 pm 

You've got me really wanting to make some display cases and trophy cases for my evil Adventure Team explorer faction, The Killington Expedition.

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:38 pm 

you should! for me the smallest pieces give the biggest rewards! mostly because i finish them (usually!) while still really excited by them.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])