Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:29 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kaala-Mok - Jm7o's BossFight Custom Class & Covid19 Entry
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

Hey folks, been a while since I've put something up in this thread - took a "LASER BLAST" pandemic I guess...

Here is my Kaala-Mok (designed & named by Erik Araña) that I have after finishing Boss Fight's 4 week (one night per week) Custom Class

All participants received the same parts, split amongst 4 bags, with one bag opened and customized each week. The 4th bag was split into 4A, 4B and 4C, and although the mystery was everyone would get something different, they were all the Crustacean mini kit, with matching color arms (red/blue/black)

The class was less about 'customizing' and more about 'painting' - the only real customizing was choosing and mixing our colors, and the majority of the class time was spent on painting techniques, design and color considerations, and basic figure construction and manufacturing.

Here's my results:
Attachment:
Kaala-Mok_01.jpg
Kaala-Mok_01.jpg [ 593.35 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]

Attachment:
Kaala-Mok_02.jpg
Kaala-Mok_02.jpg [ 407.12 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]

Attachment:
Kaala-Mok_03.jpg
Kaala-Mok_03.jpg [ 448.34 KiB | Viewed 1767 times ]

Attachment:
Kaala-Mok_04.jpg
Kaala-Mok_04.jpg [ 3.1 MIB | Viewed 1767 times ]

Note: I picked the small head to use before I learned that was supposed to be a 'female' head ... ooops. I just wanted to use it, since I had already used a version of the other head : OverKrill

Thoughts?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Kaala-Mok - Jm7o's BossFight Custom Class & Covid19 Entr
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:33 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Male vs female seems a silly distinction in that kind of beastie. I like that it’s different.

Excellent dry brush work

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 12:59 pm 

It looks great! Did you learn any new techniques from the class and do you think they will do more?

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:05 pm 

I mean, it's really good...

But the name OverKrill kinda steals the show.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:52 pm 

drbindy wrote:
Male vs female seems a silly distinction in that kind of beastie. I like that it’s different.

Excellent dry brush work

thanks, bindy!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:01 pm 

alleyviperelite wrote:
It looks great! Did you learn any new techniques from the class and do you think they will do more?

ehhh...?

I learned that Erich Ridlon puts a few strips of blue painter tape down on his desk and uses that for a palate when painting. then, when he's done, he just lifts all the tape up. no mess.

I learned that having 20+ brushes going at one time is unneeded - both Erich & Erik were using 2-3 at most. I also learned that their brushes were MUCH MORE expensive than the fingernail detailing brushes that I use.

I learned that getting a magnifying headlamp was a good idea.

The BFS crew seemed to have a good time with it. The participants were all into it, and asked good questions. There was a wide range of participants, from first-timers to experts like pluv.

Finally, they did say that they ARE going to do it again, and apparently soon. I will make sure to post details here at JC for anyone interested.

It was a little 'spendy' for a true JC customizer, BUT : having direct access to pro toy designers + virtually hanging out with like-minded individuals for 1.5ish hours a week hasn't been the worst thing about this lock-down. It was nice to dip my brush back in.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:02 pm 

DanOfTheDead wrote:
I mean, it's really good...

But the name OverKrill kinda steals the show.

Thanks!

//that was Kilcarr's idea. :tictoc:

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:28 pm 

it looks good. i like your first one much better. you should of chopped the donor figure up :) during class! i guess that's why i spent so much time in the office. seriously were you allowed to add/subtract from the base figure and add new bits or ?

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:44 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
it looks good. i like your first one much better. you should of chopped the donor figure up :) during class! i guess that's why i spent so much time in the office. seriously were you allowed to add/subtract from the base figure and add new bits or ?

lol. "skzzzk... 2Dark! Report to the office now, mister!"

I would guess we could do anything we wanted - add/subtract/etc.,

except, one of the constraints (if that's the right word) for this project is that: we didn't know what we were making. If you followed the 'rules' as laid out, you didn't have a clear idea of the end result of the figure - I found this a little frustrating in the sense that I mixed up some custom paint for class 1 that I wish I still had on class 2, but it had dried out by then. The mini-kits weren't revealed until the 4th bag, so I guess deviating too far in the build along the way might've made for a real headscratcher at the end. Also, TBH, the class moved along so fast, there wasn't time for structural customizing. About the only thing that might've been feasible would have been armor/weapons/accessories - unless a person were to work on the figure in-between weekly classes (I didn't)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 2:58 pm 

ah i see. weird but interesting way to do it. i guess it kept everyone pretty equal no matter the skill level.

i couldn't not touch it between classes . i know office right :)

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:14 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
i couldn't not touch it between classes .

.you.fresh.bastard.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:33 pm 

This looks fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:49 pm 

joemichaels70 wrote:
alleyviperelite wrote:

ehhh...?

I learned that Erich Ridlon puts a few strips of blue painter tape down on his desk and uses that for a palate when painting. then, when he's done, he just lifts all the tape up. no mess.

I learned that having 20+ brushes going at one time is unneeded - both Erich & Erik were using 2-3 at most. I also learned that their brushes were MUCH MORE expensive than the fingernail detailing brushes that I use.

I learned that getting a magnifying headlamp was a good idea.

The BFS crew seemed to have a good time with it. The participants were all into it, and asked good questions. There was a wide range of participants, from first-timers to experts like pluv.

Finally, they did say that they ARE going to do it again, and apparently soon. I will make sure to post details here at JC for anyone interested.

It was a little 'spendy' for a true JC customizer, BUT : having direct access to pro toy designers + virtually hanging out with like-minded individuals for 1.5ish hours a week hasn't been the worst thing about this lock-down. It was nice to dip my brush back in.

I've found I can only care for 3-5 brushes at a time. I keep a couple wide brushes for base coats and usually let them soak in between uses since they get so loaded up. I have a couple medium brushes that see most of the work that get cleaned after every use, but mainly because I use them for so many colors. Then a fine point for ultra tiny details that gets cleaned immediately after use and stored with the protective plastic straw.

And your last point is the only reason I didn't cancel my Joefest trip when it got rescheduled for Labor Day weekend. I'm really looking forward to the Marauder Mayhem dinner and kind of giddy to meet real designers.

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:11 am 

I know that some of the parts were meant to be fur, but when I saw them in this figure I immediately thought seaweed. This looks awesome

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:50 pm 

I’m not crazy about the parts they had up for this class, but what you’ve done here looks really really cool. I applaud your skill, your wit and your charm.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:29 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])