Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Forgotten in the Toybox
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:58 am 

I was six years old when the ARAH version of GI Joe was released in 1982. From that point on, I was a GI Joe fan above all else. As much as I loved Transformers and was interested in nearly every other toyline of the 80s, it was always GI Joe at the top. But the Joes were not my first 3-3/4” action figures. Before these Joes existed, I played with a variety of other toys of that scale, but they fell by the wayside when Snake-Eyes came on the scene. This project is intended to pay respect to these old toys, to restore some beat-up action figures and give them nice paint jobs, to let them know that they're still deserving of love too.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Calibos - Clash of the Titans
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:58 am 

Calibos
Forgotten in the Toybox

Calibos is painted to match his movie appearance more closely, and to add additional detail. I removed all of the paint from his left foot – the sculpt actually has him wearing a sandal with straps going up his leg, but it was painted as if it were just a boot. Lazy paint apps often Vince Colletta a sculptor's hard work, painting over details that someone made sure to include there.

All parts: Calibos (Clash of the Titans line, Mattel)

Post subject: Lone Ranger - Legend of the Lone Ranger
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 am 

Lone Ranger
Forgotten in the Toybox

Like a number of figures in this project, the detail in the sculpt of this figure is actually quite good. You can tell whoever sculpted it took some pride in their work, and did a good job. The paint just adds some extra detail and brings the figure closer in appearance to the film on which the toyline was based.

All parts: Lone Ranger (The Legends of the Lone Ranger line, Gabriel)

Post subject: Mork from Ork
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 am 

Mork from Ork
Forgotten in the Toybox

My parents would often give my brother and I a small toy at the beginning of a summer trip, and this is a toy I distinctly remember playing with during a summer vacation at my grandmother's house (paternal grandmother in this case.) I found a beater figure on eBay, on which the silver paint had gotten really weird and gummy and which took quite a bit of work to clean off. I re-did the silver with Molotow liquid chrome, and additional details were painted as well. I posted him before, but now he's part of a set.

All parts: Mork from Ork (Mork & Mindy line, Mattel)

Post subject: Perseus - Clash of the Titans
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:00 pm 

Perseus
Forgotten in the Toybox

Like Calibos from the same line, this Perseus figure from Clash of the Titans doesn't seem like much, but if you really look at it you can tell the sculptor took pride in their work. It's actually a pretty good likeness of Harry Hamlin, and the paint job just adds some more colour and detail.

All parts: Perseus (Clash of the Titans line, Mattel)

Post subject: Spider-Man - Pocket Super Heroes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 pm 

Spider-Man
Forgotten in the Toybox

This Spider-Man figure needed a full paint job since the red plastic used for the torso is strangely semi-translucent. You may wonder whether painting all the web lines on Spidey was a tedious as it seems. Yes. Yes, it is.

All parts: Spider-Man (Pocket Super Heroes line, Mego)

Post subject: Tonto - Legend of the Lone Ranger
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:01 pm 

Tonto
Forgotten in the Toybox

Like a number of figures in this project, the detail in the sculpt of this figure is actually quite good. You can tell whoever sculpted it took some pride in their work, and did a good job. The paint just adds some extra detail and brings the figure closer in appearance to the film on which the toyline was based.

All parts: Tonto (The Legends of the Lone Ranger line, Gabriel)

Post subject: Re: Forgotten in the Toybox
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:20 pm 

I really like the tanto and perseus. Drbindy used the perseus head on a hacks custom, and it held up really well. It is great details.

I'm not sure if I'd rather see these classics with well played with patina or nice and shiny. They look good, need a group shot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:21 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
They look good, need a group shot.

I have two more on the way eventually, when they're finished I'll go a group shot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:48 am 

You did a great job restoring those figures. They were well sculpted and stood up to rough play. My neighbor had the Lone Ranger and Clash of the Titans figures, but that Spider-Man was mine. They all went on grand adventures in the sandbox before their eventual demise. Thanks for bringing them back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:18 am 

Flash wrote:
You did a great job restoring those figures. They were well sculpted and stood up to rough play. My neighbor had the Lone Ranger and Clash of the Titans figures, but that Spider-Man was mine. They all went on grand adventures in the sandbox before their eventual demise. Thanks for bringing them back.

Thanks man. Same sort of thing for me - some of the figures above I had as a kid, but others I played with at friends' or cousins' houses. That Spider-Man is the earliest 3-3/4" figure I remember having.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])