Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baron Ironblood
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:11 pm 

He's not a "proto-villain" as he appears in a lot of media before his eventual resurgence in infamy in IDW's G.I. Joe and Transformers comics. In the original Battle Action Force comics, he was supposedly of Swiss descent, raised and educated in Britain, graduated from college, joined the army, went rogue and became the fanatical leader of the Red Shadows. "Blood for the Baron!". He eventually, betrayed his own organization and started a new one: Cobra. He became the Action Force Cobra Commander. Didn't like that. The IDW take saw the original Joe Colton take on the mantle of the Baron for a short time. I didn't like this either.

Anyway, I decided that this new Baron Ironblood was a former disciple who took on the mantle. He believed the world needed a Baron Ironblood and he will continue what the previous one didn't have the heart to finish.

He was made by using the 2017 Ninja Force & Transformers Cobra Commander body; unidentified head which happened to be compatible with G.I. Joe bodies; single sticker decal for the skull and crossbones logo; helmet made from that thin black plastic that is used to cover the edges of boxes. It was interesting creating the helmet actually. The template used for the helmet comes from the original toy's helmet schematics.

Original:

Last edited by 8bitboy on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Baron Ironblood
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:16 am 

another cool bad dude :) when i first looked i thought "man he found the perfect size sharpie lid for the helmet!" . i don't know what all is going on with it, but it's impressive for scratch built. the "joint?" in back is really interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:20 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
another cool bad dude :) when i first looked i thought "man he found the perfect size sharpie lid for the helmet!" . i don't know what all is going on with it, but it's impressive for scratch built. the "joint?" in back is really interesting.

Thanks! There's a YouTube channel I stumbled onto called Toy Polloi that provided a free PDF with the template for the helmet. The template is intended as a means of replacing the often lost, original helmet of the 80's Action Force figure. However, with photoshop and experimenting, it can be modified to fit modern Joe toys! Heck, it can be modified to fit any size figure like 12 inch.

Once I had the size down, I cut a sheet of that thin, black plastic and I cut out the shape of the template with a pair of scissors. That's the reason it has the "joint" at the back.

There were several failed attempts though...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:55 pm 

thats very cool. those failed ones (could be battle damage!) are something i totally understand. it normally takes me atleast 3 times to get anything right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:34 pm 

I always cringed at Palitoy having its arm twisted into morphing Baron Ironblood into Cobra Commander just to line up with the GI Joe figures/molds. From a writing perspective, it just made no sense. Someone as megomaniacal as Baron Ironblood wouldn't create a new identity as CC. He'd just keep on rollin' along as himself.

I vaguely remember hearing about Colton posing as Baron Ironblood. Also stupid.

The best continuity, for my tastes, would be that Baron Ironblood and CC are two totally different extremists. Baron Ironblood bounces around in Europe mostly, and CC does the same in America. If anything, they begrudgingly stay out of each other's way, knowing that it would be a bad idea to pick a fight with someone equally ruthless.

Your concept of a new Baron Ironblood, who even continues in the original's uniform, is a great one. Good figure, too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])