Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: snake eyes bloodline
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:41 pm 

i had started a all black clad combat ninja with a motorcycle and drones for my contest entry, but it just wasn't doing it for me. so a good ways in i just started over. i almost made a fantasy barbarian SE like one of the entries! i had a lotr wolf borgbeast? thing and a sword picked out.

then i started thinking about my phantom i made for the boss fight contest and how i could bring SE into that timeline. since that was focused on the bloodline aspect i realized i could take that same route, but instead of the next generation like my phantom i went back to the first. i enjoyed the short story i came up with and bringing in a storm shadow type nemesis and roadblocks ancestor was fun. the red white and blue theme throughout the figure and his horses war paint also tie directly into his story. i added in accessories and borrowed some style from the movie "charlie one eye" because i had just seen the movie and i liked the weird characters. i have seen the head i used also used for spirit and dart. i have always thought SE sounded like an indian name.

so many hours spent on this one. it was hard to choose just 5 pics. here i'll try to hit the highlights of how i got there.

his horse was a project within the project for me.
as you can see i had a big jc logo at first

SE came together pretty quick, but a lot of work went into his accessories. weapons and soft goods. i hate soft goods!

his wolf/dog needed a lot of ugly to get him where i wanted. the pics explaining the bear trap didn't make my final 5. SE found the mangy beast with it's leg in the trap. he hates traps because it is disrespecting the animal so he carries the trap until he can return it to it's owner!

it took 4-5 tries to get most of the accessories the way i wanted.

i can go into detail of how i made my arrows if anyone is interested. it took a couple batches and some nudging from sgcaper, but i think it was worth it.

i made the rocks ,groundcover ,and also painted a polar bear into a grizz.

a big thanks to the specter for being my go to for all questions and comment on this one as i went along this dusty road!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: snake eyes bloodline
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:07 am 

Marvelous! Woooowww! This is such an inventive take on Snake Eyes! Dude! His barefeet! Where did you get those? Are they articulated? The wolf was quite gnared! My biggest take away are the accessories. The bow and arrows. How, HOW? So good! The war paint is amazing as well as the general masked look. You did pretty well with the softgoods all things considered.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:35 am 

thanks 8bitboy!

bare feet are boss fight blank and have their articulated peg. i hogged out the pants leg to get the most articulation. there are magnets in his foot holes and under the horse tack, but i still had to tie him up for the jumping shot.

bow is a single "bobby pin" reshaped. stretchy string from a kids beaded bracelet. arrows are long strait pins w/masking tape fletchings.

parts and full write up here http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/custo ... &c=entry11

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:40 am 

i have to dig back a ways, but i have a lot more pics. i know i took at least 1k getting all my final shots.

charlie one eye. the chicken i started with on the right, just paint middle, and final altered left.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:21 am 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Damn dude. You elevated yourself into a new tier of customizers with this project.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:33 pm 

thanks drbindy it truly means a lot! i think your influence is clear with this one from the gritty real feel to the actual magnets in the feet you gave me :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:58 pm 

i went back through all my folders of pics for this one and grabbed some i really liked. i think i would have entered 100 pics if there was no limit. i'm sure there are better ones here than the 5 i entered but i was trying to show everything at least once in just 5, and it was difficult.

some heavily filtered art pics
i hated this background was so reflective it ruined the pics.

fun in the dark

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:07 pm 

this was my favorite pic, but i trimmed the feathers all wonky so i didn't use it. i entered a very similar pic with the new feathers.

finding the wolfdog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:04 am 

This custom truly rocks. The additional images bring it to life! Question. If the BFS Blank Body feet are too loose in the sockets, can I use heatshrink to thicken the heads a bit? Will the heat sink survive rotations of the joint after turning?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:28 pm 

i do it all the time :) i suggest shrinking a larger diameter piece off the peg to get it to size. the bf pegs are very small. don't use a lighter on heatshrink and small bits at all until you practice a lot!
in general heat shrink is tough after being shrunk, more like a plastic sheath than rubber. i am sure it will degrade over time with lots of moving, but if it does it is easily replaced. the instances i have pulled apart customs i fit with heat shrink i have seen it look fine, like when i inserted it, and all torn up. i think it is the surface of the hole itself. i'm bad abour using a ball bur at high speed to burn out a hole. that leaves an un smooth sometimes ragged surface, but it grips nice.

and thank you so much for the kind words! i really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:47 pm 

my first "bloodline" was a bit before your time, you should check it out :)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=47392&hilit=phantom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 pm 

You've outdone yourself, sir.

Amazing on every level. Conceptual, sculpting, painting. Everything about these is top notch.

I'm not sure exactly what work you did on Timber to make it looks scruffier, but it's perfect.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:41 pm 

thanks past nastification! first some contouring with a dremel, and some fire. then i used wire cutters and clipped chunks off and left some on to give him the raised fur look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:05 am 

Bump cause I went digging to make sure I had arrow pics ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:59 am 

An excellent executed creative concept!!! Native american Snake Eyes... Arashikage horse... and that bow... how did you made the bow?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:11 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])