Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 8bitboy's Projects Thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:54 am 

I love that base figure. I have one that I moved around a bunch. I'm digging her so far. You can check out my snake eyes contest thread for heatshrink quiver and steel pin arrows.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:50 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
I love that base figure. I have one that I moved around a bunch. I'm digging her so far. You can check out my snake eyes contest thread for heatshrink quiver and steel pin arrows.

You bet! I have a ton of heat shrink. The pins on the other hand, I'll have to pick up at some point. Can't wait actually. There's also an attachment for the belt I have to find.

Quick Update:

Had a few hours to kill (finally) and managed to make some progress. Cut off the MTF feet, drilled holes in top and bottom of each and inserted nail ends to each. Now she'll have both ankle rocker and foot swivel action. Groovy.

Now here she is all geared up so far. Some of the gear was also modified.

More to come.

*Edit: Also trimmed the plastic from her chest to better resemble the figure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:16 pm 

Nice! You should keep those shin guards optional. Her lines are much better without them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:31 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
Nice! You should keep those shin guards optional. Her lines are much better without them.

I see what you mean. I do want to get her shin guard details as close as I can... putty?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:51 pm 

I didn't realise it was a certain look you were going for. If the figure has guards those look ok. The fortnite guards bokl and seperate on some figures. They are a lot slimmer.

I think the guards you have are ok. I just like the thinner profile look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:03 pm 

That’s looking awesome.

For shin guards you could try making them from a for sale sign like they sell at Home Depot. A buddy of mine uses that stuff all the time for armor and it works awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:16 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
I didn't realise it was a certain look you were going for. If the figure has guards those look ok. The fortnite guards bokl and seperate on some figures. They are a lot slimmer.

I think the guards you have are ok. I just like the thinner profile look.

This is the look I'm going for. I am also going to change some of the colours. Will look into the Fortnite shinguards too.

sgcaper wrote:
That’s looking awesome.

For shin guards you could try making them from a for sale sign like they sell at Home Depot. A buddy of mine uses that stuff all the time for armor and it works awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in China. So might be a little different here. Will look into that also. I could trim the guards I already have though. We shall see.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:10 pm 

those look more like hard boots than the guards from the front. several of the marvel figures have boot detail like that, but i don't know if any that slender. look at the blue boots on right, they are almost identical sculpting. way too big though.

some fortnite guards come off with boiling water, but others dont. here you can see almost the same looking. the one on left comes off , and the one on right doesnt.Image

maybe even some stormtrooper legs for that form fitting armored look?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:52 pm 

check out these batman legs.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Legends ... SwDnldsAPw
the dark blue and silver versions both look close.Image

also in there is ironman that is kind of close

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:23 pm 

one more. seems a very few wolverines have very close boots.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Univers ... 3965586816?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:41 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
one more. seems a very few wolverines have very close boots.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Univers ... 3965586816?

That's a lot of options. I have to choose only one. Hmmm. Going to comb through them all and go at it with prices in mind.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:13 pm 

Huge Update!

So it's been a while since I've updated my customs. The Scarlett custom is incomplete due to debating what colours to paint her. I'll be all over her very soon. In the meantime, I ventured back into the Time Enemies project. It did end earlier this year but I found that there are more! These extra ones came courtesy of the other licencees that took up the G.I. Joe Adventure Team brand such as Mexico, Italy, Germany, Brazil, France and Argentina. Without further ado here's our first reveal.

Pirate de L'espace

Thanks to Star Wars, since 1977, there was a boom of interest in science fiction. That inevitably had an effect on toy lines of all kinds, particularly G.I. Joe. Hasbro licensed G.I. Joe to several countries. Some just reproduced what already existed. Others shared. Then there were the few, like UK's Palitoy, that created their own. French company, Ceji Arbois, did the same in their Group Action Joe lineup creating the stellar hero Mark Captain Cosmos. The same mold was also used in Spain's Geyperman line named Pirata Espacial.

Cosmos was the French heroic equivalent of the Palitoy Action Man Space Ranger Captain. So, predictably he needed a villain. Along with releasing him, they also released the Pirate de L'espace outfit in 1980.

Homage

He was built using the ReAction Alien Kane (in space suit) Helmet; Acid Rain Custom Bucks Squad Head; ROC Neo Viper backpack, upper body, lower body, thighs and knees; ROC Pit HQ Ripcord forearms and feet; ROC Air-Viper hands. Also has a modified laser rifle from various parts; MTF Belt with Marvel Black Widow Holster attached; and an unidentified pistol. Maybe Star Wars?

The head was originally used for the Master of Time figure I built a while back. I've since replaced that head. Later I decided that the head would best be used on the Pirate de L'espace. He's an old Space Pirate Medic. He lost his right hand and wears a prosthetic that appears like his normal hand. He can wear his space suit and never have to cover his right hand. I did this because the original toy features no gloves and I felt that it'd be more realistic if he had. So to keep the original idea, I had the prosthetic accompanied with his normal left hand which is gloved.

There was very little to draw from designing him so I didn't try to get him to be exact. The original is really limited in my opinion.

Progression

Last edited by 8bitboy on Wed May 26, 2021 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:28 pm 

2DARK2C is probably the culprit for this one. Gor's size was still nagging me. So I went back to modifying a 4 inch Killer Croc figure. Used the Cancelled Jurassic World Tattooed Mercenary legs to fill out his height. He's now 5 inches! Won't really get into too much detail here but here is v3!:

Progression

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm 

glad to see you on :) i thought we lost you! what can i say other than WOW! that 3rd go is another great looking figure. very impressive sculpting and good call lengthening his legs. i kick myself for passing up 3packs with that killercroc on clearance for $5 :( i was like i'll never use those. a few weeks later i was looking for motu fodder....

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:46 pm 

Great looking work. I'll be following along to watch the progress

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])