Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Back to the Drawing Table
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:30 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
the glasses took some sweetness from her eyes. she looks much more the classic baroness. could you see how darkening the glasses looks?

Planning on doing just her classic glasses but I like your idea more.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:05 am 

looks great! really just the perfect little touch.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:09 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

This is all top notch!

I used to draw a lot and aspired to be a comic book artist as a kid. But I injured my hands working a construction job in my teens and never quite got the feel back for pencils and pens.

My youngest daughter (11 and born nearly blind) is more talented than I ever was. I showed her this thread (her vision's much better now) and she loves your work!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:36 pm 

Spin Doctor wrote:
This is all top notch!

I used to draw a lot and aspired to be a comic book artist as a kid. But I injured my hands working a construction job in my teens and never quite got the feel back for pencils and pens.

My youngest daughter (11 and born nearly blind) is more talented than I ever was. I showed her this thread (her vision's much better now) and she loves your work!
Thanks and sad to hear what happened to you. Damn, I couldn't tell that you had difficulty with your hand seeing as your customs are so damn clean. Better than what I can do. Maybe you can get back to drawing? If you don't mind me asking, was it nerve damage that made you feel that way? I remember when I had spinal cord injury at 19 from diving at 30' high, my whole body was tingling yet numb from the neck down. I wasn't paralyzed but my locomotor skills was gone. Gradually got the feeling back after a year.

I'm glad she's doing great now and taking up art. By the way, if this is what she wants to pursue. I know this is unsolicited advice, just that I wish someone told me this when I was younger. Can you tell her to study anatomy first then how to do fabrics then backgrounds and perspective? And move only to the next stage if she'd notice major improvement compared to her older works. If she did really great then, only move to the next stage when her work is passable compared to professionals. If she feels fatigued studying, draw what she feels like drawing but mixed with what she's already studied. This is what I did when I thought myself to draw at age 25 and been a professional comic artist 4 years later. Same technique I used to teach my 2 boys, then at ages 18 and 16 and they can do comics 2 years later.

My Madureira-inspired 20 year old.

And my Samura-inspired 18 year old.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:55 pm 

Modern Budo.

Used modern parts for my Budo concept.
(v64 Snake Eyes arms and torso, v43 Storm Shadow legs, v54 Snake Eyes swords and sheathe, v3 Quick Kick sword and sheathe with new head, sode and kusazuri)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:50 am 
Thomas from Missourri

scruffyronin wrote:
Spin Doctor wrote:
This is all top notch!

Thanks and sad to hear what happened to you. Damn, I couldn't tell that you had difficulty with your hand seeing as your customs are so damn clean. Better than what I can do. Maybe you can get back to drawing? If you don't mind me asking, was it nerve damage that made you feel that way? I remember when I had spinal cord injury at 19 from diving at 30' high, my whole body was tingling yet numb from the neck down. I wasn't paralyzed but my locomotor skills was gone. Gradually got the feeling back after a year.

I'm glad she's doing great now and taking up art. By the way, if this is what she wants to pursue. I know this is unsolicited advice, just that I wish someone told me this when I was younger. Can you tell her to study anatomy first then how to do fabrics then backgrounds and perspective? And move only to the next stage if she'd notice major improvement compared to her older works. If she did really great then, only move to the next stage when her work is passable compared to professionals. If she feels fatigued studying, draw what she feels like drawing but mixed with what she's already studied. This is what I did when I thought myself to draw at age 25 and been a professional comic artist 4 years later. Same technique I used to teach my 2 boys, then at ages 18 and 16 and they can do comics 2 years later.

My Madureira-inspired 20 year old.

And my Samura-inspired 18 year old.

All good advice for my daughter on the drawing front. I'll be sure to pass it along.

Your kids' stuff is great. You're clearly a good teacher.

And yes, it was nerve damage that reduced the sensitivity of all my fingertips. For a while it was tingling pinpricks and no other sensation through both hands, but a lot of physical therapy helped that significantly.

I gradually taght myself to type again and even to play rythm guitar, but I have to be looking at my hands to do either of those things.

The detail work on the customs is really kind of a force of will exercise. Often I have to steady my painting hand against my chest or guide it with my other. I screw up a lot, but I've gotten pretty good at cleaning things up and/or starting over.

I think the reason I never threw myself back into drawing was because it frustrated me to know how good I was before the accident and not be able to perform at that level any more.

Somehow it was easier to take on totally new things - writing, guitar, customizing - and enjoy getting better at those.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:48 am 

Great work!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:28 pm 

more awesome art!

i shake bad, both hands. when i was young and drew a lot i'd lay prone on the floor and that settled everything except my drawing hand. my art was more mental therapy i think than anything great. i was "too cool" to take instruction so never got any better than just what was naturally there. my wife was a pro faux finisher and is a great stylized artist. we used to do art nights with the step kids. my stepdaughter was a natural, and then took some collage classes. now she is such a better artist than us both.

i too have to steady myself while painting customs, and it easily the most aggravating step. which might be why i have 50 wips ready to paint.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:56 am 

Road Pig!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:12 am 

As someone that is working on issue #2 of my comic with an artist i am impressed. Hopefully you're creating your own title . Your art should not go unseen by large numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:13 pm 

the softer side of rp :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:11 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
As someone that is working on issue #2 of my comic with an artist i am impressed. Hopefully you're creating your own title . Your art should not go unseen by large numbers.

Thanks! Hope to work with a fellow GIJoe fan in the future.

2DARK2C wrote:
the softer side of rp :)

Haha!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:23 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

I love that lpok fpr Road Pig. The original figure looked too buff and the mpdern revisit even moreso. Wish we could get a figure that looks more like your art.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:57 am 

Spin Doctor wrote:
I love that lpok fpr Road Pig. The original figure looked too buff and the mpdern revisit even moreso. Wish we could get a figure that looks more like your art.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:02 am 

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:20 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])