Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe Retro - Special Missions: Desert Dust-Up (p. 4)
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:13 pm 

Love the expanded Cobra desert troops, those look especially great.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:03 pm 

they are all great looking !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:36 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Thanks guys.

It's weird, but this project - more than all the time I've spent in recent years on MCU customs - has me convinced there's never been a better time to customize in this scale.

Some of these figures are drawing parts and accessories from just about every era of 1:18 Joe (hard to believe we're talking 40 years of figures) and taking advantage of resources (like Marauder John) that I couldn't have imagined would exist back when I took my first Sharpie to a straight-armed Breaker.

It's been crazy cathartic/fulfiling for me.

Post subject: Re: G.I. Joe Retro - Special Missions: Troubled Waters (p. 5
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:19 am 
Thomas from Missourri

So after that desert heat, I thought it might be time to enjoy a refreshing dip with the next theme in my Retro -Special Missions: Troubled Waters. The Joe 4-pack is subtitled "Down the Drain."

After Cobra claimed a newly formed Island off the coast of Hawaii as sovereign territory, the Joes decided not to wait for international politics and diplomacy to sort out the legalities before starting to gather intel. Shipwreck and Deep Six took a top secret mission to survey the coastal perimeter - above and below the waterline - and report back on the strength of "Cobra Island's" defenses. 48 hours after being dropped in the Pacific by Flint, Deep Six reported that he'd lost radio contact with Shipwreck. Then Deep Six went completely dark. Joe Command was ready to disavow, but Torpedo and Wet Suit covinced Flint to fly them in for a completely off-book rescue mission. They all know if they can't get their boys out, they may have to take them out before the sitiation sparks an international incident.

Given Deep Six's important role in this mission, I'll start with the vehicle pack:
Attachment:
20220611_232154.jpg
20220611_232154.jpg [ 101.78 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Deep Six uses a 25th cartoon Joe SCUBA trooper body with a custom head (that's Channing Tatum's face with a sculpted/painted swim cowl) and the hands from a Convention exclusive Eco Warriors Flint. His deep sea suit/transport is a repainted Chap Mei rig with some bolted-on weapons and tech.
Attachment:
20220611_233236.jpg
20220611_233236.jpg [ 115.19 KiB | Viewed 549 times ]

Kicking off the Joe 4-pack is Shipwreck, a Dollar General version with a grafted on thigh holster, a functional shoulder holster, some Marauder hands/pistols and select paint apps.

Last edited by Spin Doctor on Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:13 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:45 am 
Thomas from Missourri

Next in the Down the Drain 4-pack is the guy risking his career for his comrades in arms by leading this unauthorized rescue op and commandeering a civilian copter to make it possible:
Attachment:
20220611_232713.jpg
20220611_232713.jpg [ 144.33 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]

Flint uses Rise of Cobra MP legs, a Sgt. Stone torso, a DTC Hannibal jacket, hands from a Resolute Cobra Commander, wrist shell sleeve from Retaliation Flint, the head from 25th Flint in Cobra disguise and shotgun from Hall of Heroes Flint.

Torpedo and Wet Suit use Rise of Cobra parts (Breaker body for Torpedo, General Hawk upper body/arms/hands/thighs for Wet Suit).
Attachment:
20220611_234553.jpg
20220611_234553.jpg [ 148.92 KiB | Viewed 548 times ]

Torpedo has the Marauder Keanu Reeves head (because I always wanted to see Keanu play him in a movie) and matching hands, plus a Chap Mei vest, backpack/mask from Pursuit of Cobra Shipwreck and fins from a 25th Para-Viper. Not sure where the hat/gun (maybe Elite Force) came from.

Wet Suit uses a Star Wars head (thought it looked like his unmasked noggin from the toon) lower legs from a 25th Firefly and a 25th Lamprey vest. I'm pretty sure his monocular came from Torpedo's hat and his gun is also Elite Force. He shares the same backpack/mask/flippers as Torpedo.

I'll post the Cobra figures/vehicle soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 12:28 pm 

deep six and his suit are great, but flint steels the show for me. the other two look good too. kind of wiry ,but i like the realistic vibe.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:30 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Thanks 2Dark. I definitely wanted a different take on Flint and the SEALs, so I'm glad you're digging those.

For the bad guy set I went a little more traditional with most of the designs. It's subtitled "Bludd in the Water."

Captured while trying to get too close to the Cobra Island compound, Shipwreck holds out for hours under interrogation...until Deep Six attempts to contact him on his radio. Major Bludd is tasked with tracking down the other spy and The Interrogator, eager to demonstrate his value to Cobra Commander, insists on coming along to ensure this second Joe is taken alive. Flint notices the Water Mocassin heading toward where he initially dropped off Deep Six and Shipwreck and decides to let Torpedo and Wet Suit jump in off shore while he turns around to keep an eye on the snakes.
Attachment:
20220611_162517.jpg
20220611_162517.jpg [ 167.83 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

Major Bludd is the big deviation in design for this set. His SCUBA suit is the 25th Deep Six torso and thighs with some Rise of Cobra Eel lower legs/feet and the arms of the first 25th Bludd (right one modified for enhanced articulation). His head is also a 25th Bludd, but with sculpted dive cap. Flippers are from a 25th Eel. Mask and nackpack from a Rise of Cobra Shipwreck.
Attachment:
20220611_160922.jpg
20220611_160922.jpg [ 183.92 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

The Interrogator uses the upper boday and arms of Arctic Assault Scrap-Iron with 25th Viper legs and the head, harness and skirt from the Viper Lockdown pack Interrogator. Hands are Marauder and the pistol is from MU Black Widow.

Here they are with the rest of the team:
Attachment:
20220611_160006.jpg
20220611_160006.jpg [ 156.67 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

Copperhead would come with the Water Mocassin (not sure which rerelease that is, but it's got a much deeper cockpit than the original). He's the 25th figure with a functional chest holster, Marauder hamds and select paint apps.

The other two figures in the Bludd/Interrogator pack would be 25th Eels with better hand articulation (from Marauder).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:09 pm 

The deeper you get into this project, the joy you're taking in it becomes more and more palpable. It comes through in every part choice, paint app, and story detail. This Troubled Waters set is the funnest yet, for my money. Love Major Bludd's wetsuit look and Keanu as Torpedo is so perfect. Keep 'em coming!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:45 pm 

"BLUDD in the water" is genius! i have no idea if there is a story already, but i was thinking bludd might have lost his arm diving off the coast of south africa as a young man to a shark, and he never got in the water again. now he has to and can't show any fear to his cobra brothers. great custom of him too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:19 pm 

I'm loving this whole series of figures. Really great use of parts and the stories are excellent

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:00 am 
Thomas from Missourri

Tbanks, guys.
I'm glad you're still digging the project.

Been too hot to paint past few days, but tomorrow I hope to finish up the next set.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:40 pm 
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast
Resident Conspiracy Enthusiast

love them. I'm a sucker for sets. I also like environment themes. So much potential with those RoC sculpts.

Team Red Lazer

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])