Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: WIP: Clutch (re-imagined)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:12 am 

Even though I've been back in the hobby for a couple months, I've yet to actually finish a custom. I do, however, have nearly a dozen figures in the workshop at the moment. Really pleased with where this one is at, so I figured I'd put it out there as a work-in-progress. I'm still figuring out what I can do with modern parts and experimenting with new (to me) techniques like painting eyes (you all weren't kidding; it's a pain in the ass), so let's call this a progress report.

She's part of a series I'm doing based on the O13. It's kind of a reboot--keeping the same characters and basic aesthetics, but taking them in a different direction.

More to come!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: WIP: Clutch (re-imagined)
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:24 am 

Oh hell yes. I love where you're going with this figure. You already have all the essential elements of the character, and I'm very happy to see that the change in figure medium hasn't kept you from sculpting your own details onto them! And the eyes look good from here: if that's a first attempt at painting them, then you're off to a very good start. Painting eyes is one of my least favorite parts of the hobby, so I feel that pain. I can't wait to see what the rest of your O13 look like!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:54 am 
Plug
Plug

*Sees kowalski custom Clutch critique thread*

"Ooh, this ought to be be good."

*Sees "(re-imagined)" at the end*

"Well now I'm intrigued."

*Opens thread and sees picture*

""LASER BLAST" YES!"

I know I say this a lot, but I love everything about this. Everything. I can hear her smirk. I love how the vest turned out. Perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:20 am 

This is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:03 pm 

very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:55 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

I love that you picked this particular character to Starbuck. Really well done on the details as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:17 pm 

Thanks, everybody! It's been a lot of fun getting back into the hobby and it's nice to have something to share.

sgartz wrote:
You already have all the essential elements of the character, and I'm very happy to see that the change in figure medium hasn't kept you from sculpting your own details onto them!

If green stuff was available in the early 2000s, I didn't know about it. So far, I'm liking it much better than the Sculpey and epoxy putty I was using back then.

pluv wrote:
I can hear her smirk.

This makes me so happy! I wasn't planning on doing a gender-bent Clutch until I saw this head on Spartan118's site and I was immediately like, "That's Clutch!" I wish I had Spartan118's painting skills, but good to know the smirk still comes through.

Spin Doctor wrote:
I love that you picked this particular character to Starbuck.

It made an odd kind of sense to me. She's got a counterpart that I'm excited to share, as well, but that custom isn't quite there yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:38 pm 

Love this - both the re-imagining of the character, and the sculpting/mods as well.

I gender-bent my Ace custom, because I figured changing Ace to a Carol Danvers-type character was an easy leap. But doing it with Clutch is great idea!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:57 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Nice!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:14 pm 

You're 90% there, and it's a great 90%.

There's something missing to give Clutch that "lovable rascal" feel.

Keep in mind I'm saying this knowing full well that Hasbro never gave us a really "Now that's Clutch!" Clutch. The five o'clock shadow is obviously off the table. Not sure what would give it that slight nudge. A toothpick, a hat worn too far back on the head? Fingerless gloves maybe?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])