Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bigfellas - Kingpins, Penguins and Harvey Bullock
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:50 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

On a little break from my G.I. Joe Retro project to scratch a long burning itch.

I've been taking whacks at creating a properly porportioned Kingpin for years. My first attempt was inspired by his appearance on Netflix's Daredevil and built using a combination of 6-inch Penguin figures, a ToyBiz Professor X head and some Legends Namor hands. I was proud of the engineering involved, but ultimately he didn't fit the aesthetic of my other MCU customs. My second also used a six-inch Penguin coat/arms and a Big Boss waist/legs from C.O.P.S. with some WWE figure hands, boots and head. He was fine for a comic version but way to big to hang with my MCU-inspired customs. And my third was just too small (but makes a pretty decent Penguin, I think).
Attachment:
20220606_165723.jpg
20220606_165723.jpg [ 182.6 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]

Not seeing a clear way forward, I went back to that first attempt and did some serious re-engineering of the torso and shoulders to make his arms hang more realistically. I also built out his crotch to make the legs feel more naturally proportionate.Then I swapped his old head for a custom cast of D'Onofrio and ditched his Legends hands in favor of some from MU Ares. Now most of my average-height male MCU customs come up to his chin and his overall frame feels much more plausible (if still a little exaggerated from the character's screen appearance).

Here he is standing next to my comic version:
Attachment:
20220606_170503.jpg
20220606_170503.jpg [ 194.49 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]

And here's my new Penguin (repainted Multiverse Penguin with a cast movie-likeness head of the character from The Batman and some MU hands/feet) intervening as an LBC Harvey Bullock (the actual Spinmaster movie Penguin with an Indy hat and gunbelt) gets ready to haul my former default Penguin custom (a Speed Racer figure with re-engineered elbow joints, MU Bullseye hands, Multiverse Penguin hat and articulated Joe feet) away to the fodder bin.
Attachment:
20220606_170813.jpg
20220606_170813.jpg [ 160.45 KiB | Viewed 485 times ]

Thoughts?

Last edited by Spin Doctor on Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Bigfellas - Wilson Fisk and Oswald Cobblepot
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:00 pm 

I’ve never been a fan of the comic book, fat man Kingpin. Reminds me too much of Blob only if he was in shape. But I can appreciate a good custom when I see it and this is it. I don’t know how you cram those parts together to make them work but the result is great. He’s got that fat guy belly but he isn’t so bulbous as to look ridiculous. The thick limbs help that a lot.

Got any pics handy of him next to your regular sized MCU folks?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:53 pm 

i dig them all. that lbc is great. i'd throw a beard on him to look less like penguin.

eta your old penguin looks like mr peanut, or at least a mr peanut kit to bash on :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:20 am 

I love figures that have unusual proportions (but are still proportionate). Seeing your various iterations and the way you negotiate scale is really cool. Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:24 am 
Plug
Plug

I love that Kingpin. I always kind of loved that the big fat guy was really bull in sheep's clothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:34 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

I'm glad you guys dig the new/old Fisk. I think this one might just be as good as he gets in my collection.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
Got any pics handy of him next to your regular sized MCU folks?

Here's one of him doing the rockband wall stand with my Netflix-style Defenders (think I've shared these all here before):
Attachment:
20220607_134720.jpg
20220607_134720.jpg [ 151.13 KiB | Viewed 437 times ]

I don't consciously try to make all these characters the same size (because the actors aren't) but Daredevil is about the size of most of my male characters (including Iron Fist if you count the hair). Luke Cage is on the taller side of non-giants and Jessica is about average height for a female character.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:57 am 
Thomas from Missourri

2DARK2C wrote:
that lbc is great. i'd throw a beard on him to look less like penguin.

So this was a great suggestion. I liked the way a nice 5 o'clock shadow looked on Harvey so much that I upgraded his hands, too. Here's a shot of him with his former partner/now boss (one of my older DC customs):
Attachment:
20220609_075029.jpg
20220609_075029.jpg [ 199.8 KiB | Viewed 415 times ]

Thanks, 2Dark!

Post subject: Re: Bigfellas - Kingpins, Penguins and Harvey Bullock
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:41 am 

Love all of these, Spinny! And now I have to figure out a different head for my Bullock so it's not a direct copy of yours (since I'm already using the Penguin fig & Indy hat on mine)

Been trying to build a right-sized Fisk for my MU stuff for over a decade and kept hitting walls. Then I snagged a couple 3D printed heads from SW Geek and I think I'm finally on the right track. Body is a 5" Dr Who alien figure of some sort, but the arms were junk, so I've got to find or make/bash some compatible arms, but the D'onofrio head is too perfect not to finally follow through with this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:33 pm 

the scruffy beard is perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:05 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Chief wrote:
And now I have to figure out a different head for my Bullock so it's not a direct copy of yours

If i recall, you and I had a habit of circling and (sometimes simultaneously) settling on the same parts back in the day. I see it as validation.

Case in point - pretty sure I had that Doctor Who figure in my eBay cart at one point (pre-Netflix's Daredevil) thinking I could mod it to make a comic-accurate-ish Fisk. The arms were what discouraged me. But seeing it with that SW Geek head (same place I got my Kingpin and Penguin heads) REALLY makes me wish I'd pulled the trigger.

I'm happy enough with mine, but yours is going to be about as screen accurate as it gets.

You don't happen to remember the name of the Dr. Who character, do you (because I will unabashedly copy your idea here if you do)?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:02 pm 

Had to do some Googling, but saw it had "2005" stamped on its foot, so here it is:

Dalek Sec Hybrid Doctor Who Series 3

I chopped the torso down and might have to do something with the legs, although I like him as big as he is. Will have to add back the torso-twist that I lost when shortening him, I want him to be able to do some action poses.

FYI - I DID try bashing the lower arms onto something with ball-jointed shoulders, but it just never worked for me, so I've got to figure out how to rectify the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:45 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

That's the guy!

I was thinking "upside doen nut sac head" and there it is.

Your current height is great. Try some 6-inch '66 Penguin arms. That's what I used.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:40 am 

This is a good solution to the figures like Kingpin who really deserved figures that tower over others.

Great stuff!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])