Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: WIP: Scarlett (with bonus custom rerun!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:34 am 

My level of enthusiasm can be measured by the number of WIPs I share. I wouldn't usually share something that isn't 100% ready, but I'm having way too much fun to care right now. And so... here's the current state of my O13 Scarlett.

This is the "blank slate" version of the character. Secondaries (like those visible in the background) will complete the look. Something I always wanted to do with my figures, since I was a kid, is have a base version that I could outfit with accessories. One reason the modern era drew me back to the hobby is that I feel like I can finally create the figures I imagined as a child. I still love my o-rings, but as a customizer, ME figures are so much closer to what I always wanted. More to come!

Last edited by kowalski on Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: WIP: Scarlett
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:39 am 

Bonus...

An illustration of kowalski pushing up against what was previously possible: a Scarlett I made back in 2002(ish), one of my experiments in getting a decent female sculpt from whatever ARAH parts I could cobble together in 2002. No idea what torso I used, but as I recall I ground it down to nearly nothing and then built it back out with epoxy putty.

I'd say the head holds up better than the rest, revealing one of the line's better feminine sculpts hidden in an otherwise undistinguished sculpt of an instantly forgettable new character (Sure Fire, '01).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:20 am 
Thomas from Missourri

I totally feel you on the enthusiasm for what's possible now and fulfilling childhood dreams. There's nothing like it.

The approach you're taking reminds me a little of my O-13 Microman project (circa 2008-ish?). The figures' base looks were all very similar with add ons (gloves, boots, belts, vests) distinguishing their looks and functions and the heads really giving them character.

You picked a great noggin for Scarlett. Where's it from?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:19 pm 

Spin Doctor wrote:
The approach you're taking reminds me a little of my O-13 Microman project (circa 2008-ish?).

Ooh! I need to check those out! Are they in the archive?

And the head is a Spartan118 cast based on Gal Gadot.

Post subject: Re: WIP: Scarlett (with bonus custom rerun!)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:26 pm 

i'm eager to see her all geared up! i usually post wips to try and motivate myself to stay at it. it works sometimes!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:23 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

kowalski wrote:
Spin Doctor wrote:
The approach you're taking reminds me a little of my O-13 Microman project (circa 2008-ish?).

Ooh! I need to check those out! Are they in the archive?

And the head is a Spartan118 cast based on Gal Gadot.

Wasn't sure until I looked but they are in there (you can see the group shot in Breaker's entry if you don't want to hunt down each one).

Turns out it was 2006 (man, but the time flies!).

Also had a Cobra Officer, Major Bludd and Agent Hauser in that medium (and was surprised to see those in there).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:59 pm 

Spin Doctor wrote:
Wasn't sure until I looked but they are in there (you can see the group shot in Breaker's entry if you don't want to hunt down each one).

Those are great! I'd forgotten about those mid-00s Microman figures. Very cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:58 am 

***accidental post***

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:08 am 

I can't wait to see where this goes. I love the idea of the blank-slate figure: as you said, that's an area that modern figure technology has really made possible, and it's one of my favorite aspects of the Boss Fight/Joy Toy/Acid Rain/etc. lines. Did you sculpt the details on the chest onto a BFS blank, or is that piece from a different line? And the use of that Sure-Fire head on your old Scarlett custom is a classic example of seeing the sculpture within the block: I had at least ten of those heads in my fodder bins when I was still doing ARAH stuff, and I would never have picked it up and thought "yup, this is going to be Scarlett," but it works better than most of the actual female sculpts in the line.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:11 am 

sgartz wrote:
Did you sculpt the details on the chest onto a BFS blank, or is that piece from a different line?

It was more like de-sculpting details. I sculpted the collar onto the neck and filled in the sculpted musculature to give the appearance of a shirt.

Since posting this, though, I've abandoned the BFS body entirely. I couldn't get the paint to adhere and the accessories I prepared just didn't sit right (oddly, since they were all built on BFS accessories). More to come shortly...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:35 am 

I haven't had much luck painting the BFS bodies, either, so I know your pain. The fact that they're relatively featureless aside from muscle definition is a good thing in theory, but it doesn't give the paint much to adhere to, and the uniform surfaces are pretty unforgiving.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:03 am 

Update: Switched to a heavily modified Marauder Valkyrie dress shirt/pants body. (Lower arms are still the BFS blank). I'm still pulling together her full kit, so I'll call this look her "Casual Friday."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:39 pm 

she's looking good.

on the paint not sticking sgcaper recommended that i spray clear on a bfs figure that i was just doing washes on to give the paint something to stick to. it worked really well.
http://www.joecustoms.com/customs/custo ... 5&id=18830
i think it would work for a full paint as well , but priming them would probably be better. priming is something sgcaper does really well, but my priming is always a roll of the dice as i don't buy good spray paint.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:59 pm 

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely try it. That Phantom custom is spectacular! Thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:49 pm 

thanks! it was a big project i did for a bfs contest.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])