Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: WIP Addict
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:50 pm 

New rule: no new projects until a WIP is finished.

I just cataloged my WIPs and I've got about 161 in various stages of completion. I've been excited about starting new figures but horrible about completing them.

I think my goal is to get through all these by the end of the year.

Attachments:
20190424_104816.jpg
20190424_104816.jpg [ 4.02 MIB | Viewed 734 times ]

Post subject: Re: WIP Addict
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:26 pm 

the first step is admitting you have a problem :)

I thought I was bad! my poor wips date back to my very first A-10 from scratch! lots of big projects and a scattering of figures.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:24 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

pfft. amateur.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:59 pm 
Plug
Plug

joemichaels70 wrote:
pfft. amateur.
I was literally getting ready to tag you in this thread. :D

Yeah, we've talked about this on the podcast quite a bit. I love when one of us will share a picture of something or someone else's custom and then there's good ol jm70 chiming in with whatever wip number that just got added to his list.

"What a cool concept. Nice parts choice.

#211"

Personally, I've found keeping a list on my phone has been helpful. It lets me prioritize the WIPs or add notes for things I want to work on next. In turn, that has led to more batch spray painting, sculpting, and dremel usage, which tend to be the major time crunch hurdles usually preventing me from completing things.

The other benefit is that it has maken me take stock of whether I still want to work on those things or not. There are at least two I waffle on every time I look at that list, both repaint/touch-up work that I can never quite get jazzed up enough to bang out. I find myself still liking them enough to want to someday call them finished, but I think I still need the reinforcement that they are worthy, I guess, to keep ahead of other ideas.

That doesn't mean that the occassional idea won't cut the line. Ultimately, you have to follow the passion and if an idea is good enough to make you burn the midnight oil until it is done, then so be it. I find I get amped up for the engineering side of the custom, the parts and how to make my vision into reality. But I'll let something languish forever if the current boots don't quite do it for me, or I can't nail down the likeness, or it requires a tedious paint job and one of the colors dried out so I have to go buy another bottle. Oh man, having to get new supplies is my Achiles heel. It will stop a project dead in its tracks until I compile a big enough list to bother making the trip or ordering online.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:08 am 

pluv wrote:

That doesn't mean that the occassional idea won't cut the line. Ultimately, you have to follow the passion and if an idea is good enough to make you burn the midnight oil until it is done, then so be it. I find I get amped up for the engineering side of the custom, the parts and how to make my vision into reality. But I'll let something languish forever if the current boots don't quite do it for me, or I can't nail down the likeness, or it requires a tedious paint job and one of the colors dried out so I have to go buy another bottle. Oh man, having to get new supplies is my Achiles heel. It will stop a project dead in its tracks until I compile a big enough list to bother making the trip or ordering online.

This all rings very true for me too. I love taking stuff apart, splicing parts, dremeling, but any step the requires actually patience like letting paint dry or a sculpt cure and I find myself moving on to another project. My favorite new "tool" is super glue accelerant for that very reason. Also feels like it makes a stronger bond.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:22 pm 

" super glue accelerant for that very reason. Also feels like it makes a stronger bond."
I never heard of that before! most times super glue either never dries or I glue my fingers to the piece in like 5 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:54 pm 

That looks about right. I gots tackleboxes for Joecustoms, DnD minis (I only have like 1/2 a dozen chars for play, and many more to just paint), AND then there is all the Gunpla. Kind of bought quicker than I could build there. Just finished a Re-Zel and Unicorn Destroy mode. I still have kits I got almost a decade ago on the backburner, and that doesn't count the kitbashes in progress.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:27 pm 

I think I posted this before, but I think it's funny and true for myself !

when I die my tombstone will say W.I.P. :rotfl:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:25 pm 
Plug
Plug

2DARK2C wrote:

In your case that might be accurate. #TeamSuperBeast

2DARK2C wrote:
" super glue accelerant for that very reason. Also feels like it makes a stronger bond."
I never heard of that before! most times super glue either never dries or I glue my fingers to the piece in like 5 seconds.
I've never been a big fan of the liquid super glue accelerators/kickers/activators. I do keep a bottle of baking soda nearby, which on top of making it sandable does accelerate the dry time. JoeMichaels70 swears by Kicker accelerator, like every time he thinks he hears someone mention super glue he tells them about it. Even people who already know what it is. :shifty: But he does advise a little goes a long way. Through out the year's Myth Busters' Adam Savage has used baby powder and Zip Kicker on his projects on the show, in his professional FX job, and on his Tested and One Day Builds youtube shows. So I do think it is worth trying for people who have never done so before.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 am 

A lot of people I know swear by the accelerators, but I'm not a fan of them, either. I just feel like the bond is more brittle. That might have just been a few bad experiences, though, so it's entirely possible that they're awesome and I'm missing out. At this point, spending about a minute clamping tiny objects between my fingers is just part of the process.

And that's basically the story of my customizing life, too: I'm great at having the ideas and finding the parts, and much less great at taking the next step. Thus, my workroom is equally full of those very same plastic boxes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:03 pm 

pluv wrote:
2DARK2C wrote:

In your case that might be accurate. #TeamSuperBeast

2DARK2C wrote:
I've never been a big fan of the liquid super glue accelerators/kickers/activators. I do keep a bottle of baking soda nearby, which on top of making it sandable does accelerate the dry time. JoeMichaels70 swears by Kicker accelerator, like every time he thinks he hears someone mention super glue he tells them about it. Even people who already know what it is. :shifty: But he does advise a little goes a long way. Through out the year's Myth Busters' Adam Savage has used baby powder and Zip Kicker on his projects on the show, in his professional FX job, and on his Tested and One Day Builds youtube shows. So I do think it is worth trying for people who have never done so before.

Love baking soda + super glue as a quick gap fill and to strength styrene weld joints.

I think when I don't use accelerator I either get too much glue out and the items end up sticking to my fingers as I try to pinch them together, or I just don't give them enough time to bond. So far with the accelerator I'm very happy with the strength of the bond I'm getting and I seem to be ending up with less greeblies stuck to my fingers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:41 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])