Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3D Printing & Design
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 pm 

And I wanted to get the Mr. Clean, due to the video above, but none was to be had at my local Wal-Mart, so Simple Green was next on the list.Image

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

My eBay listings: PennyKooleToys

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 am 

Many view acetone / denatured alcohol as the best option but I prefer not to use those thus my Mr. Clean.

At first the idea of not UV curing under a lamp (washing only) seemed ridiculous but some folks leave their models in the sun for days and the end result is virtually the same often. Personally I'm still trying to dial in the perfect cure time under a UV lamp. 2 to 4 minutes works... until it doesn't lol. 10 to 30 minutes works but then you wonder if the brittle nature of the resin (if you aren't using flex) has been exacerbated because of that amount of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
Many view acetone / denatured alcohol as the best option but I prefer not to use those thus my Mr. Clean.

At first the idea of not UV curing under a lamp (washing only) seemed ridiculous but some folks leave their models in the sun for days and the end result is virtually the same often. Personally I'm still trying to dial in the perfect cure time under a UV lamp. 2 to 4 minutes works... until it doesn't lol. 10 to 30 minutes works but then you wonder if the brittle nature of the resin (if you aren't using flex) has been exacerbated because of that amount of time.

I just bought a mini UV light meant for nail polish. I haven't printed anything to give it a try yet. I think it only stays on for a minute at a time though. I usually set mine outside to dry after the wash as well as cure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:50 pm 

I printed some prototype parts and decided to test my "ultrasonic" jewelry cleaner and Mr. Clean simultaneously.

After 5 minutes in the jewelry cleaner with Mr. Clean and a follow up 3 minutes in water they seemed, well, clean .

I may not have needed to clean them in water following but I did in order to see if any residue would be visible in the water (there wasn't any). The parts looked good.

Now if I can dial in the proper combination for flexible material....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:32 pm 

Suntzu wrote:
I printed some prototype parts and decided to test my "ultrasonic" jewelry cleaner and Mr. Clean simultaneously.

After 5 minutes in the jewelry cleaner with Mr. Clean and a follow up 3 minutes in water they seemed, well, clean .

I may not have needed to clean them in water following but I did in order to see if any residue would be visible in the water (there wasn't any). The parts looked good.

I was looking at a 10 dollar battery operated jewelry cleaner at Ollie's yesterday. I wasn't sure it was deepe enough and passed on it. Harbor Freight carries a larger, heated cleaner for around 90 bucks. Im still shopping right now though

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:53 pm 

alleyviperelite wrote:
Suntzu wrote:

I was looking at a 10 dollar battery operated jewelry cleaner at Ollie's yesterday. I wasn't sure it was deepe enough and passed on it. Harbor Freight carries a larger, heated cleaner for around 90 bucks. Im still shopping right now though

I'm gonna stop you right there!
Don't buy a $10 jewelry cleaner lol. The unit i have is suspect as hell lol. It's a Connoisseurs La Sonic Jewelry Cleaner.
This unit is still sold at Bed Bath and Beyond (?) based upon what i've read.

Specifically / technically speaking it vibrates at about 60 hz which is nothing compared to the 42,000 hz of this unit:
https://www.amazon.ca/Magnasonic-MGUC50 ... B007Q2M17K

I can't see water waves when my unit is on despite feeling the vibration of the cleaner. It works (?)...but barely. I suspect it barely works for me because my parts are between 5 and 7mm long and 2 or 3 mm in diameter.

With all of that said ...i would spend $20 on a cheap unit that vibrated at over 15-20k hz.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:42 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Anycubic has their Cure & Wash station on sale for $130 right now. It's a cleaning tank and a curing tank all in one.I'm fine doing the manual cleaning but if you're looking at a $90 thing from HF, I'd look at going the extra bucks and get something built for it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:58 pm 

Has anyone tried a generic magnetic stirrer, that seems to be all the was and cure station is except it does have the curing feature but thats an extra step. Right now I'm scrubbing with a toothbrush in a tub of Simple Green, so I up for trying new ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 pm 

alleyviperelite wrote:
Has anyone tried a generic magnetic stirrer, that seems to be all the was and cure station is except it does have the curing feature but thats an extra step. Right now I'm scrubbing with a toothbrush in a tub of Simple Green, so I up for trying new ideas.
Wow that reads like gibberish..

I watched a YouTube review of the AnyCubic Wash and Cure machine. Someone on an Elegoo Facebook page mentioned its just a fancy magnetic stirrer. There is a magnetic stirrer for 30 bucks on Amazon, I would have to provide the jar. I originally thought the AnyCubic washed and cured in one setup but its actually 2 separate functions, its not a deal breaker, but in reality there is a 100 dollar cost savings for me to set the part in the sun.

And here's my new printing center, getting this stuff out of my office/hobby room where I spend most of my time. Casting supplies are on this bench as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:42 pm 

Ah, cool. I hadn't looked at the wash & cure beyond seeing the sale on it in an email from them. When I use my resin printer, I just put the part in a rubbermaid container and shake it around a bit. For curing, I just use the sun or the LEDs from some of those "Laser glue" products. Definitely cheaper ways to do it, if that's all it is.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm 

Siraya Tenacious is as good as you've heard.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:56 pm 

I ended up buying this Ultrasonic unit despite having pickle jars and tupperware for a long time now.
Magnasonic Professional Ultrasonic Jewelry Cleaner Machine (CD2800)
https://www.amazon.ca/Magnasonic-Profes ... 3359&psc=1

I'm sure there are better units but this one has been worth the amount paid thus far. It's convenient and i saw waves & cloudy water after cycles so i know it's working.
It's worth the $25 - $32 USD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:39 pm 

Downloaded this free 6 inch Cobra Commander head from Giga-Bread. I saw a Facebook post about it being slightly oversized so I resized one to be the same width as Vader's helmet (the only 6 inch figure I had for comparison). And then I tried sizing them for 3 3/4 figs. The mid size is about right but the neck hole will have to be enlarged. These are fresh out of the wash and uv light.

Link for the head:
https://giga-bread-digital-bakery.mysho ... scale-headImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:30 pm 

Nice! Can't wait to see one painted up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:51 pm 

1. Those Cobra Commander head prints look lovely! After a lifetime of casting parts the fact that we can rescale, modify and produce with relative ease is something i'll never *ever* take for granted.

2. For a split second the heads reminded me of the ghosts from Pacman :D (and also Cthullu) .

With that said i'm curious as to when pre colored resins will finally hit the market. There are a few unique colors out there but not the core colors.

*returns to my designing Nerd Cave

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])