Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: 3D Printing & Design
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:28 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

There's really no printer currently that will give you right off the platform perfect prints. It's going to take a certain level of post clean up. That's more of the direction to look toward is what will allow the least amount of post clean up. Resin printers are going to be the main idea to look at but they come at a big cost. What you want to look for is something that can do 50 microns or lower on the z level. Beyond that, you'll have to get to get to know the printer when you get it and learn how to get the best of it.

That's the honest answer. None of them are perfect at the moment. Lots of great printers and lots of printers that give you something to work with. Larger stuff is easier to print and get great results. Small action figure sized stuff is a lot harder. Not impossible though.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 pm 

thanks man,
what about software ease?

K1

"Future Seers like the ancient Mayans and Nostradamus were right about one thing, something would happen on the winter solace 2012. They just got some of the details wrong. Life on Earth would not end; it would just be changed forever."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:47 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

The expensive SLA printers are going to be best for 1:18, but if you're willing to put some work into post-print cleanup and repair, any of the mid to upper filament-based printers will work (think >$500) Some of the sub $500 can, but they usually require a lot of tweaking to get them to the level of decent quality.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

The future is now. Okay, not really, but still amazing that he's making 3 3/4" figures with full articulation, 3D printed, and they look great. You can hit his website to see more of his work.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:25 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Yeah that printer will give some good quality stuff. I'm wondering about that new Wanhao. A lot of people are saying it's giving amazing results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:56 pm 

I can't believe the price on the Wanhao. Still not a huge build platform, but for $500, not shabby at all. I wish I would have held off on the last printer I bought and waited on this one now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:04 pm 
HATES Mattel

I've been throwing together some items on TinkerCAD towards the goal of making a Marvel Micronauts cast. As I polish those items up I'll be posting them to Thingiverse, in case anyone wants them. Here are the Time Travler ab-modules:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2441408

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm 

Hello everyone, new user here. Im a long time joe collector and just got into the 3d printing world. Im trying to complete a Flagg I have and was wondering if anyone has tried creating pieces for it? As you all now, some of the parts for it are really expensive. This unit is from my personal collection and wont be sold. Hopefully someone has some experience with this, thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 pm 

What parts are you looking for? You might search on Thingiverse or some of the other file sites to see if you can find something. Otherwise, I'd recommend grabbing the CAD software of your choice and trying your hand at designing up something that's acceptable to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:19 pm 

MarkM wrote:
What parts are you looking for? You might search on Thingiverse or some of the other file sites to see if you can find something. Otherwise, I'd recommend grabbing the CAD software of your choice and trying your hand at designing up something that's acceptable to you.

Hello, I have a small list of parts that I'm missing. Without the pieces in front of me, how hard would it be to design with CAD? I look on Thingiverse and couldnt find any Flagg parts unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:43 pm 

Depending on the parts, you could find good reference pics and take measurements off of them. For instance, and I'm going to totally make up numbers since I'm not next to my Flagg, let's say you need one of the doors. You could find a good picture with a clear shot of them and another part that you have in it. Measure the dimensions of the door in the picture and the dimensions of the part you have in the picture. Then measure the dimensions of the actual piece you have. You can then find the percent difference between picture size and actual size, multiply the measurements for the missing piece by that number, and you have your measurements. Just design the part based on those and you should get a close approximation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 am 

https://store.adambeaneindustries.com/collections/products-sculpting-materials/products/cx5-sculptable-filament

This CX5 filament should solve a lot of problems for 3d printing, it might make lower end printers more useful for customs. You should be abe to use heat to smooth the print or sculpt on to it further with CX5 and then mold it in silicone and cast it in resin. It will add some steps to the process but you will be able to make duplicates quick and easy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 am 

https://store.adambeaneindustries.com/collections/products-sculpting-materials/products/cx5-sculptable-filament

This CX5 filament should solve a lot of problems for 3d printing, it might make lower end printers more useful for customs. You should be abe to use heat to smooth the print or sculpt on to it further with CX5 and then mold it in silicone and cast it in resin. It will add some steps to the process but you will be able to make duplicates quick and easy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:48 am 

If anyone is looking for a printer just to get their feet wet, Monoprice has one of their basic models as a refurb for only $135 today. I doubt you'll find a pre-built one cheaper for some time. You won't get super impressive results from it, but the reviews are solid and you'll be able to learn if you're really interested in the whole 3D printing thing without too much of an out of pocket expense.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id= ... 1&format=2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:37 am 

I've talked before about the quality difference between FDM and resin based printing. Last year, I bought a Wanhao Duplicator 7 when they were running a special on them. This is a DLP printer that uses an LCD screen and ultraviolet backlight to print with UV-sensitive resin. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to set it up until today, so it has sat, boxed, for several months. Today, I alleviated that situation and I have a quick example of the quality difference between the two types of printers. Mind you, I haven't a lot of experience, so the quality isn't quite where it will be once I have it dialed in, but to see the difference in quality, these pictures work.

The orange colored SNAKE was printed using the Wanhao printer while the white one with paint apps was printed on an FDM printer. The orange one was printed at .05mm resolution, while the white one was at .2mm. The FDM printer can go down to .1mm, which is approximately the width of a human hair, but that is the maximum it can handle. The orange doesn't show the detail the best, making it look like a gummy bear, but it's the only resin I have right now (it's the sample resin that came with it). If you zoom in, though, you will be able to see the striations of the individual layers on the FDM model, while the resin one is virtually smooth.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])