Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Spraypaint for Resin Casts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:04 pm 

So recently I purchased some resin cast parts. I usually spray these with a flat black primer that is formulated for plastic. However this time, I got some unexpected results. I sprayed them as I normally do and everything looked fine. Then I walked away for a few minutes. When I came back, the paint had beaded up and looked like crap. The guy who made the parts said he doesn't use any teflon spray or anything in his parts, so he's not quite sure what happened. Is it possible that whatever his resin is, it's different from other people's so much that it reacts differently to paint?

The paint I used is Krylon Flat Black Primer for plastic.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for getting the beaded paint off? I figured I'd have to sand them because anything that could remove the paint was going to melt the resin.

Thanks!

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Spraypaint for Resin Casts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am 
Plug
Plug

Sorry sanding is the only real fix. You could put on a coat of Pledge with Future Shine (https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pledge-F ... B000ARPH4C) that will put a layer of clear coat to smooth things out, but only if you plan on doing a couple of coats of paint on top too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Did you wash them immediately before spraying them as part of your normal procedure? I've had this happen with parts before when they'd been handled a bit before painting and there was just enough oil from hands on them to keep the paint from adhering properly. I had washed them, but didn't get to paint them right then. They wound up getting shuffled around a bit before I painted and I thought, "Oh, I washed them so there's no release on them." without thinking about anything from my grubby hands that may have contaminated them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:29 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

If you want to remove the paint, use Goo Gone. I would do this instead of sanding. Whenever I have had parts that had a similar problem, I would brush paint some acrylic/water based paint first. This gives the spray paint something to stick to.

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:29 am 

I ended up getting some fine grain sand paper and smoothing down the lumps. Then I hit it with some testor's acrylic and it seems to have done the trick. Was on the verge of a freakout because these suckers weren't cheap. Anyway, thanks for the help. Will post a pic later.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])