Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Custom soft goods
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:41 pm 

What is the best material to use in making cloth coats and jackets...I.e. the material from Star Wars cloaks and such?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Custom soft goods
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:31 am 
HATES Mattel

I actually think those SW items are terrible for 18th scale. They end up trying to be fabric that's like 5inches thick. I prefer to use very thin fabrics sealed with FrayCheck to negate the need for sewing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm 

AdrienVeidt wrote:
I actually think those SW items are terrible for 18th scale. They end up trying to be fabric that's like 5inches thick. I prefer to use very thin fabrics sealed with FrayCheck to negate the need for sewing.

examples? and product info? please :whistling: I hate trying to make soft goods!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:20 pm 

I agree the S.W. fabric looks like a child wearing daddy's coat. I have a lot of customs that I will start posting soon and some are starting to look similar. Just looking for a new way to break up the monotony...ya know?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm 

If you want something that's very flexible, you're stuck with cloth. I also hate using cloth at the 1:18th scale because it's too large.

As long as the item doesn't have to be too flexible, I use masking tape, often over a layer of aluminum foil. Aluminum foil allows you to put some folds/bends into the material.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 pm 

saying that all cloth doesn't work is incorrect
it all comes down to the cloth material used

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 am 

I've heard of people use material form Halloween capes and such. It sound's like it should work better than other stuff since it's thin and flexible.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:35 am 

The problem isn't the material, as most of the capes are synthetic and can be sealed with a match to the frayed unfinished edges. The problem with SW cloaks, capes, and such are that they are sewn too voluminous. If you've ever seen or tried the cloaks made for the animated series, you'll find that they are a much more snug fit because the figures are made with caricature styled limbs. One could technically tighten the more roomy cloaks by sewing over the original sewing with it turned inside out, and trim away the original stitching.

Synthetics are the way to go if you're wanting decent materials that will suspend disbelief. At Jo-Ann Fabrics, I've found both remnants and full skeins of short pile in-scale furs, leathers, reptile, and fantasy embossed suede analogs. They can be hand sewn, machine sewn, or for the hobbyist/sewing challenged, joined using "magic sizing tape", which is a glue in thin cotton-like form that you adhere with an iron (non steam). The bonds are permanent and the thickness of the sizing starts at 1/8" to full 1" wide.

Another thing to check out are crafters/scrapbookers cloth sticker sets. These are fully sewn in-scale outfits that have been turned into a sticker simply by an addition of double sided foam tape. You remove the tape backing, and Goo-Gone the sticky residue, and you're good to go. They have everything from fatigues through kimono/gi through firemen outfits.

Last source that can be useful are the outfits from the large odd proportioned dolls like Monster High, Bratz, and so on. A bracer on these dolls becomes greaves on our figures. Their chokers and jewelry fit ours clean in some cases, there are always bits that can be trimmed off and salvaged for your other projects.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:32 am 

Also clothing from the old Lil'Bratz line fit well without modification. And look at what people are doing with acid rain figures to see cloth done well on 4 inch figures.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:01 pm 

Any reference photos, Adrien?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:18 pm 

Boss Fight's upcoming wizard is a very good example of soft goods done right.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:24 pm 

Here's a video showing use of soft goods along with many more expertly executed techniques

https://youtu.be/J9GKEq-N810

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:24 pm 

Attachment:
118usablesynthetics.jpg
118usablesynthetics.jpg [ 152.36 KiB | Viewed 1222 times ]

I had posted this at Boss Fighters some time ago, but should have here.

This is a sampling of 100% synthetic textiles that mimic perfectly the knap of 1:18 scaled fur, leathers, and embossed leather. The reptile skin is large and better for dragon skin, but there are a few textiles I have from non-JoAnn Fabrics sources where the scales are miniscule, and closer to our scale. Being 100% synthetic, you never have to worry about frayed edges as they can be sealed with the heat of a match. Also, these will adhere to both types of action figure plastic without much fuss at all.

http://capolan.tripod.com/- Some Stuff.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])