Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for Some Pointers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:13 pm 

Ok, here's my little custom project I worked on this weekend. It's nowhere near amazing, but it's at least getting me to focus on the hobby a little more :) I tested a few different brands of paints and found some I liked... I also learned a few lessons about putting down less paint than I think I will need. This was to work out a few kinks before starting on a couple of real projects.

There was no actual pain on the body of the jeep, just straight primer. I think next time I may try a light primer coat on the whole vehicle and then do the actual color over the top of that. Still unsure on that - any advice?

The vehicle was one of the really cheap ones from a Wal-Mart 2 pack, so the plastic was pretty soft. Not sure how or if that has any impact on the paint.

I finished it with a flat matte sealer, but don't have any pictures of that. Would a satin sealer give it a lightly shinier look?

Also, I grabbed a can of Testor's spray lacquer to put the bottom coat on, but what I read is that lacquer can be bad news on softer plastics. Feedback/thoughts on that?

I'll put the "finished" project pics in the next reply.

Attachments:
jeep3.jpg
jeep3.jpg [ 62.51 KiB | Viewed 337 times ]
jeep2.jpg
jeep2.jpg [ 103.17 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]
jeep1.jpg
jeep1.jpg [ 128.38 KiB | Viewed 335 times ]

Last edited by SerpyMatt on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Looking for Some Pointers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:15 pm 

Finished pics

Attachments:
jeep7.jpg
jeep7.jpg [ 90.49 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]
jeep6.jpg
jeep6.jpg [ 87.8 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]
jeep5.jpg
jeep5.jpg [ 85.97 KiB | Viewed 336 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:33 pm 

I think it looks good. What I do for vehicles is use testors flat sprays. They seem to cover better, not sure why, but the gloss seems to run more and leave see through spots. and I primer with testors flat white if the color needs it, for instance with black I don't do white first because it covers great, but with orange, blue, and yellow, you better hit it with white first. Then I finish with testors dull coat. I prefer dull as it looks more realistic and hides imperfections. And multiple thin coats is best with lots of patience in between. As far as softer plastics, I have had that problem before but only on a small piece which I primed with acrylic paint first by hand and then sprayed. I tend to just avoid that situation now.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:48 pm 

looks good!

not much I can add, dusty is one of the best vehicle customizers around! I was scared of spray paint on plastic, but my wife talked me through it. I just buy the $1 cans of flat black and flat white from Walmart. other colors I've sprayed are black,gold, and pink all 3 were premium paint that said ok for plastic.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:14 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])