Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Complete disassembly of a Rattler...could use some help...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:51 am 

Anyone ever taken a Rattler apart?

I mean completely apart...down the center take the cockpit out apart.

Could use some tips or a tutorial on that if anyone has done that.

Thanks.

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Complete disassembly of a Rattler...could use some help.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:57 am 

I remember it being really difficult. I think I may have given up on splitting it down the middle and painted it whole. It’s been a while. I do remember thinking that it must be glued together.

Dusty79 wrote:
I can't wait to cut those babies up for parts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:43 pm 

It is glued together. Paint it whole.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:12 pm 

Not sure if this is helpful at all, but one that I decided to try this one was not very salvageable anyway. Also to note is this too nearly a week to do, as you will have to walk away after fighting with it without totally going Hulk on it. Some days you will only get a few inches of progress battling it all day. All I can say is Cobra should have kicked the snot out of Joe, as there vehicles were so much tougher. Also do not attempt this if you are looking for something without stress marks, as the blue plastic at the end of this epic battle will not be stress mark free no matter how careful you are. Also be warned that my attempt was not free of sections breaking. Nothing like the nose of the plane or something like that, but in the glued seam giving away and taking more on one side than the other, as the seams are thin. Might also get a few cracks form trying this.

Anyway, not sure if there are any tutorial on replacing the gun and front gear, but found them to be the easiest part in all of this to be done. Not going to get into detail on this. Also to attempt splitting the fuselage of course you will need to remove everything that is not glued to it. Should have took pictures.

I used the hot/cold method to weaken the glue bonds. Though with any plastic too much heat will/can deform things if you are not careful. Also if you do not have a pot big enough to place the whole fuselage into, then you have to work in sections. Also ask before doing this, as the female folk of the house get crazy when you use thing to cook food in for things like this.

Though its straight forward in just heat area. Then apply force to heated glue bond by ether pushing/pulling seam. Not too much, as this can be done with only your hands. Then apply cold by placing in freezer, then repeat with push/pull seam again.

You will do this all around the entire fuselage making sure all seams are free along the outside. As the next part is the most difficult and will require cutting, if they don't free themselves. This next step will be much of the same hot then cold, but you will have to apply force and pry apart little by little and carefully not to get carried away with ether too much heat and/or force. I didn't deform anything on my attempt, but did get a few cracks where I didn't want any to be. Though did get 3 of the big glued pins/pegs inside of fuselage to free up, but gave up when the cracks started and just cut the last few free.

If you try this and have any questions feel free to drop me a line.

momaw nadon

My Brawlingness
or to view and/or leave Brawlingness click feedback button below

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:40 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])