Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• For any member of the site, click the "Feedback" button at the bottom of any PM or post they have made or find the "Feedback / Brawlingness" link within their board profile.
  • For any non-member, you may find a thread for feedback about them within this forum. The thread title will be their name followed by "feedback." An example would be "SuperCoolJoeFan's feedback".
  • Whenever you complete a trade with a non-member, reply to their thread.
  • If the non-member does not have a thread, you can create one for them using the above mentioned thread naming scheme.
  • The feedback threads are for both good and not so good experiences. Please, try to work out issues with a trader partner before posting. Remember that users have lives outside of this board and my not be able to respond to PM's on a daily basis. You can use this forum for these purposes as well if you feel the user has been non-responsive.

Post subject: Nova
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:40 pm 

**Bad Trader/Seller WARNING**

Nova
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=33
(http://www.hypnoshield.com) (brian.kauffman@gmail.com)

That's right, this is what it has come to...

Here's some background:

I met Nova for the first time in person at SlayerCon 2 in 2012 but before that, we traded a few times on Joecustoms. We had many things in common and he told me he was a huge fan of my custom work and I liked his customs as well. I thought of him to be a friendly and trustworthy person and we corresponded from time to time talking about joes.

In 2013, Nova asked me if I would be interested in a partnership of creating some custom ARAH parts to be cast by him to sell. At the time there was a severe shortage of custom ARAH casts available online so I jumped at the chance. As I already knew that cast ARAH parts is a niche market and not quite a profitable one so instead of money, all I wanted in exchange was free cast parts anytime for the asking. Nova agreed. I first modded a few parts for him at his request until I created the Blue Beret Commando head, torso, and waist kit. I sent him the parts and he made molds of them. After casting a considerable amount of them, he asked me how many Blue beret kits I wanted. I asked for 8 sets, which he sent me and I customized with. He began offering and selling the Blue Beret kits online and through travelling to various joe shows and conventions. Everything seemed great.

Sometime time later, I contacted him again asking to send me some more Blue Beret kits. I ended up making several attempts to contact him via PM, email, and text but my overtures went unanswered. I fully understand that everybody gets busy from time to time and that we all have our lives to live away from our hobbies but nothing could explain Nova's total lack of communication. Days turned to weeks and then months before I heard anything. I was a little worried as he hadn't been on joecustoms in a long while so I began asking around if anyone knew how to best get in contact with him or knew what was going on with him and why he went dark. I was then told that he was very active on Facebook. I am not a member of Facebook but I continued trying to contact him, hoping he would finally answer me but still nothing. As even more time passed, I began questioning myself why he would just completely ignore me. Did I possibly do or say something that offended him? I thought we were friends. I am confused and left with more questions than answers. After getting someone to contact him on my behalf, he finally texted and tried to explain why he was unresponsive. He tells me that he thought our business was concluded ater sending me the first Blue beret kits. He then says when I asked him for more Blue Beret kits, he wasn't sure if I expected more kits at no cost and he didn't want to ask and offend me and he froze up. I then had to remind him of our original deal, in exchange for sculpting parts for him to cast, I get free cast parts anytime I ask. He apologizes and tell me he wishes to continue our arrangement and that he will be more communitive from now on. He finally sends me the Blue Beret kits I asked for and I considered the entire matter resolved.

Our partnership continued as I made and sent him more custom parts to cast and sell and I was able to ask for more parts and he sent them to me without any problems. I thought everything was great again.
Over time I learned that what happened between me and Nova wasn't exactly an isolated incident. I talked with a few members of the joe community who tell me they had a similar if not the same experience dealing with Nova but they had their issues resolved and they chose to move on. As things were going well between me and Nova, I kept that in the back of mind but I didn't think this would ever be an issue again.

Fast forward to this past March, I texted Nova asking to get some more cast parts. He's unresponsive. I try again and still my texts are ignored. It's deja vu all over again. His continued silence is frustrating me. Weeks go by and still nothing. I once again had to reach out for help in trying to contact him. I was told in a response that he was aware I was looking for him but he still refused to return my messages. My patience now finally exhausted, I decided to send him an email with an ultimatum, telling him that I am fed up by his behavior and want to dissolve our partnership. I also demanded for the return of all parts I sent him for casting and any remaining inventory of casts made from those parts and that he can no longer offer or sell any of those items.

More time passes without any word and I then warn him that if this impasse continues, I will take this to the forums. Nova then finally responds to my text and says, "Do what you feel is necessary, when I have a chance to respond to your email I will." I haven't heard from him since.

I have been patient, reasonable, and respectable but Nova's behavior hasn't changed. I thought we were partners and friends and I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but with his last text, that basically tells he doesn't give a damn about maintaining or saving our partnership or friendship. I gave him multiple chances and all I got in return is nothing. I really didn't want to do this but he left me no choice. I hoped to keep this matter between us and settle it like two mature adults and not involve other parties but I cannot let this continue and anyone who wishes to do business with Nova in any capacity in the future must be warned of this pattern of childish behavior...

Last edited by LIVEVIL on Sun May 13, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Nova
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:35 pm 

I hate to hear anyone getting taken or otherwise wronged. I've been pretty lucky with this hobby but I've been burned in others. nothing over $100 so not major, but I never forget. in the bmx hobby everyone would say "it's a small circle bro'" and it was. here on joecustoms it is an extremely small circle, but the hobby community overall still pretty dang small.
you are extremely talented. people buying your work replicated/casted is proof. if you want to share your art i'm sure another caster out there would be willing. i'd say in the long run is his loss.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:31 pm 

The stalemate between nova and me continues... :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 4:44 pm 

Still no progress and my anger grows...

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:51 pm 
DarkJedi'd

I believe he posted on Facebook about getting into a car accident. I saw pics of a damaged vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 pm 

DarkJedi wrote:
I believe he posted on Facebook about getting into a car accident. I saw pics of a damaged vehicle.

I was informed of the same thing but that is still no excuse why nova refuses to answer my communications up to now. Unless he's in a coma or near death, which he clearly isn't as he was well enough to post to facebook about being in a car accident, he needs to address my grievances. I'm sick and tired of this "LASER BLAST"...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:05 pm 

I got this email Wednesday night from nova:

Quote:
AD,

Send me your Current address, I'll return your originals.

"instead of money, all I wanted in exchange was free cast parts anytime for the asking. Nova agreed."

This is not True. Your initial ask was " I would love to get at least 6 of these guys." for the Blue Beret Commandos. When a Mold has a life of 20-25 pulls I can make that arrangement work. The BBC is the only item that's been molded more than once.( The Initial mold, and one subsequent gang mold with 3 cavities...Production capacity of roughly 100 pulls) I've sent you roughly 30% of the potential production on any of the items you sculpted. I can't make open ended deals work... I can't pay infinity for finite work.

I don't believe you have any claim on any existing stock. I will continue to sell through what has been produced. once the current molds and stock are exhausted those items will be retired from inventory.

2 text not replied to and you flipped the switch to psycho x-girlfriend. I can't deal with that drama, I won't. Sorry if you felt slighted it was not my intention.

I expect this will conclude our deals for the time being. I want you to know I harbor no ill will and hope with time your anger will fade.

Lastly, If there are items that you still feel you've been shorted on, send me a list and I'll do what I can to fulfill the list.

Thanks.

Brian.

Nova acts like I was pestering him for cast parts all of the time, which is not true. From the moment when he started casting my sculpts, I asked for casts only THREE TIMES and I wasn't asking for hundreds of them. I'm not greedy or unreasonable. He has no problem selling casts of my sculpts for whatever price he wants but when I ask for them, he goes MIA. He says he cannot make open ended deals work. If he truly had a problem with our arrangement, what the hell didn't he open his mouth and say something?! All of this could've been avoided with some communication. There's no excuse for not responding to my messages for weeks or months at a time. Apparently, I should just be glad that he answers me at all no matter how long it takes because my time is meaningless. :-/

I have no claim on any existing stock from my sculpts??!! 8-O That's rich. He wouldn't have any of that stock if I didn't give him my sculpts. I didn't send him my stuff just to get little to nothing in return. What about fair exchange? Especially since he's made money selling casts of my sculpts...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:18 pm 

Once again, I am still waiting. My anger still growing...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:22 pm 

Another month has passed and still nothing has changed...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:55 am 
Plug
Plug

For crying out loud!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:42 am 

I am sorry for your trouble Livevil. I had an issue with Nova completing a deal. He is a good at casting, but horrible at communication. Our deal was several years ago. I learned my lesson once he fulfilled the prepaid order.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:25 pm 

*sigh*

Another month gone, still no response to my messages and still no sign of capitulation. My anger is now full blown rage...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:57 am 

*UPDATE 11/16*

After a long, exhausted stalemate, it took the intervention of pluv to secure the return of my parts from nova. I didn't get every piece I sent to him back but I got the most important pieces, my original sculpts. I am indebted to pluv for his all his help and I will always be grateful.

This puts the final nail in the coffin of my partnership with nova. I really wish things had been different and I still think this entire situation could've been avoided with some simple communication but after all I had to put up with, this is the way it has to be. An explanation or an apology would be nice from nova, but I don't think there's going to be any catharsis here, as he still refuses to answer any text or email from me, which doesn't surprise me in the least. I can now just move on...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:11 pm 

I just stumbled onto this thread, and I'm very sorry to hear this. I'm also sorry that everyone was deprived of whatever collaborations that could have been, because I know I speak for everyone here when I say that we would all love to own some of your figures! I had a similar, intensely frustrating stalemate with another longtime member of the site regarding some custom-cast stuff, and pluv also stepped in and resolved it for me. He's good people, that one.

P.S.: I watch 5 Elements Ninja all the time. Thank you again!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])