Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIJCC DTC Figures Priced
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:29 pm 
Snake Staked

Damn,...

Now I am usually the one holding the Club torch.

but I have to admit,.. 12 dollars per figure is a bit steep for me. So Im gonna either wait until they drop in price, or pass on this alltogether (like I did Steeler last year)

- Aristotle."

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:35 pm 

Haw haw.

Choke on 'em, Master Collector.

This is why I don't join the club - because I'm no smoking jacket wearing $15 figure buying playboy, warming myself at night with burning C-notes in my fireplace. That's not who I am, and they sure don't represent me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm 

Mike T. wrote:
At $8 each they still don't measure up to the anniversary figures. At $20 each, they are laughable failures that will likely cost us either higher prices on Con items next year or fewer Con items in total since MC will have too much capital tied up in unmoving sets of these figs.

I think that if they were $8, they would at least sell. I really wanted these figures, and yeah, they aren't as good as the 25th stuff, but they are cool. They just aren't that $20 cool you're talking about. I'd love to have a few of them, but I doubt that will wind up happening anytime soon.

I'm surprised by the "vs." packaging, since the cardart is for a single figure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:57 pm 
Plug
Plug

bearcatcc wrote:
First they announced that they were doing it. Once that's done, they probably lose if they make the figures (financially, see below), or they definitely lose if they back out for some reason (taking a hit to their credibility and goodwill). Master Collector already lost a hit to their credibility with the Mauler fiasco, and to a lesser extent with their other misadventures (fifth MOTH set, etc).
Granted it is easy for me to second guess them now seeing how things played out. When thsi was announced it was a great idea, but I think everyone assumed there would be a quick follow up. I'm guessing these won't make it into people's hands until early '09. From the Sept 07 until now the market has changed. I would have thought MC would have done what was more financially sound and cancelled this endeavor rather than take a financial hit. Make them a bonus figure and release them every year. They recoup the cost of their investment without taking the big hit of hoping these sell at way above what the market will support.

Seriously if Brian were to say, "After much consideration we've deemed it unwise to release these as previously planned and instead we will be making them bonus figures for 3 3/4" club membership", you wouldn't have any back lash. People might even applaud the foresight and willingness to further be a benefit to the collectors.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

Yeah I'll probably, ..... well I shouldn't say probably since I am going to pass. That's too high per figure when they're just elborate customs. If they end up being marked down low enough, I'll buy them. I just can't see paying that type of money for these.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:11 pm 
Hi, beav. Playing cards?
Hi, beav. Playing cards?

Macrossmaster wrote:
Haw haw.

This is why I don't join the club - because I'm no smoking jacket wearing $15 figure buying playboy, warming myself at night with burning C-notes in my fireplace. That's not who I am, and they sure don't represent me.

I dropped my monocle into my fine Scotch when I read those prices.

Ignore the man behind the curtain...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:19 pm 

Ouch.

Anyone that's going to buy these is a completeist going to buy all of them anway.

Master Collector could have at least had the common courtesy to just release them as one big set, saving the poor collectors $22 on shipping.

Or offer a cheaper "uncarded" set.

Yet another reason for me to dislike the concept of exclusive figures.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:22 pm 

The Swami forsees MC complaining how they delivered product that people said they wanted but didn't buy it. They will leave out the part about how they provided the product 2 years too late.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:27 pm 

beav wrote:
Macrossmaster wrote:
Haw haw.

I dropped my monocle into my fine Scotch when I read those prices.

At last! The truth revealed about your move to EUROPE! Additional fine Scotches, and the availability of smoking jackets no doubt.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:01 pm 

I haven't seen a screwing like that since that night I spent in prison. :shifty: I was looking forward to those, but I'd much rather spend my allowance on 25th stuff, plus with that shipping I can drive an hour around me and actually find stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:58 pm 

OW!OW!OW!OW! (sound of kicking myself for not buying these on eBay when I had the chance)

Really, can someone email the club, and get the official take on how they think this is a good idea? Seriously, if I was them, got the first quote back from China that pointed to this being the price point, I would have shut the program down.

On a tangent, as someone who has hoped MC would make some of the unproduced S6 figures, I now hope that never happens. I'd hate to see MC making a Joe Colton, then charging something like $100 for the set. Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:22 pm 
Thomas from Missourri

Um...okay...uh...sure (quietly dials the number for the guys with the butterfly nets and the white coats) those'll sell like...um...hotcakes.

I'm as much a fan of tghe new sculpts as anyone I know and, back in the day, I wasn't shy about paying twice or even three times retail for one I wanted (thinking about that gray camo Firefly I got from Hong Kong and customized, now). But two figures for forty-plus bucks? Not unless Master Collector is sending them on a truck full of bikini models and beer.

And packing Munitia with the repaint of the club exclusive as a third figure to up her price point was a pretty cold piece of iron in the hinder for all the fans who have expressed interest in picking up pretty much just that figure from the wave.

At even $15 per two-pack, I probably would've bought five each of the Cobra Officer and Night Viper sets.

Thanks for saving me that temptation, MC.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:32 pm 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

pluv wrote:
Seriously if Brian were to say, "After much consideration we've deemed it unwise to release these as previously planned and instead we will be making them bonus figures for 3 3/4" club membership", you wouldn't have any back lash. People might even applaud the foresight and willingness to further be a benefit to the collectors.

It finally happened. I disagree with Pluv.

Collectors would have rammed this down their throat, especially after the Tanks fiasco. Because prices weren't announced, and everyone would have assumed that they were about $8-$10 each, and everyone would claim to have wanted to buy one or multiples. It would have been cited over and over again as another failure of the club to deliver.

I understand the VS thing. They knew that some were weak and would not sell. Munitia is the only desirable figure to most, and so they put her in a 3 pack.

But sadly, whenever the club gets away from their bread and butter, which is RAH and 12" figure sets, they fail. The RR Cobra Commander aside, there is no new money to be made in new sculpt figures.

I doubt that they'll be willing to try anything new at this point and Brian will be [LASER BLAST] about fickle 3 3/4 fans - with good reason.

- R

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:45 pm 

That's what I was waiting for, sorry no deal. That is just too much for a repaint figure no matter how you slice it. Sure there is some retoolings but no way.

I really wanted some of these too (night viper, Munita, Airtight) but not for that much scratch. I knew MC would over price these things so I am not really mad, disapointed cause I had hoped they would have come in under $10, but deep down I knew it.

And truthfull they will probably up the con exclusives reguardless, they do every year so that is nothing new.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:24 pm 

You'll have to put me in the $8-$10 figure price for each of them. If you tell me the set is $80 shipped, I'd be OK with that, but over $80 plus $20+ for shipping, sorry. it's time for me to walk away.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])