Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIJCC DTC Figures Priced
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:46 pm 
card back fetish
card back fetish

I'm a compleatest so you know I'll be buying these, but I'm only buying one set.

And all of you guys that know me and my collecting habbits know that I never buy just one of anything, but this time I really don't plan to buy more than one.

It's just too much for what you get.

Come see the "What I'm Working On" posts every Thursday.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:55 am 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

Macrossmaster wrote:
...Choke on 'em, Master Collector....

dude, that's my line...

:shifty:

alright, this is enough for me to leave this site and visit the mc site, just to see how all the people 'love' this...

i'll be back.

edit: aaaand nothing.... aparently, the gijcc boards don't know about the pricing yet...

//that's so relevant on so many levels...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:43 am 

I may have picked up a Munitia if they were sold seperatly and under $20. But at those prices I think not.

Good luck MC breaking even on this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:58 am 
Snake Staked

you know,.. after going back and redigesting this for awhile... I am still upset.

I wonder if they did this based on how many people wanted these figures. Im assuming most of us at the con when they asked us did we want these, didnt figure they would be so much. Most of the Club members I know probably wont be able to buy these (Definetly not the non members, who would have to fork over the extra 40 bucks for membership with the price). It isnt really a matter of not wanting new sculpt figures (unlike what a lot of people are saying,.. as a LOT of people still do collect new sculpt) but more of,.. people aernt willing to pay so much for a New sculpt figure,.. with the more stylized 25th figures out, at 25% less. One thing I do agree with is that this was an endeavour that just took too long to put out,.. and the Market (and economy) has moved on.

13 dollars plus shipping for a figure, vs 6.99 in the stores.......

Im hoping they can recoup their costs at next years con, or christmas, when they usually drop the price 25-50 %, Hopefully, they will make enough money to recoup the production costs. Otherwise, at the price point theyre asking,.. I dont see it selling out. Or worse, filling the warehouse just like the 40th anniversary 12 inch figure did.

- Aristotle."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:01 am 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

If these were hand made or someone was pressing these out of their own molds and hand painting, maybe then I could see the price. I just can't see it when they are being manufactured. I know there's a lot of cost involved in getting stuff made like that, but still I don't know if you can justify that. We'll see if they clearance, and if they do I bet they'll fly out of there fast.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:41 am 

Too late anyway.
With the 25th line going stronger with each wave, I don't really care about new DTC style figures. The price is way to high too.

Thanks but no thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:55 am 

beav wrote:
Macrossmaster wrote:
Haw haw.

Choke on 'em, Master Collector.

This is why I don't join the club - because I'm no smoking jacket wearing $15 figure buying playboy, warming myself at night with burning C-notes in my fireplace. That's not who I am, and they sure don't represent me.

I dropped my monocle into my fine Scotch when I read those prices.

Balderdash! I'll send Jeeves to clean up, and Jenkins to clean up after him. Henceforth, maintain your monocle & don't be so bourgeois, ribald.

eBay Auctions for GI Joe, Star Wars, Transformers, WWE, DC & Marvel figures

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:04 am 

Yea I have enough trouble keeping up with 25th GI Joe stuff to be able to put that sort of money into figures that doen't really fit into either my 25th collection or my Real American Hero stuff.

Maybe I could have gone for it a few years back when there was nothing GI Joe on the shelves but when you always have to hold some money back on the off chance you might find a BAT on the shelves, new comic packs might be out locally that week, or the new vehicle packs hit your area I just can't drop big bucks for something I don't want that badly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:26 am 

That is just plain wrong. For one thing, with all the classic 3 3/4 figures and my love for the 25th stuff, I packed up all my JvC figures. Even this years Cobra Commander figure I didn't get because I don't have those figures on display anymore. They are all packed away in the attic and I don't know if they will ever come back out again. I just don't have room to display them and given my choices of classic 3 3/4 figure, Jvc or 25th figures, JvC is the bottom of the list.

The price point is insane. I almost want this to fail so they take a beating and have to close up shop. let someone else take a turn at being the official club. Looks at the Devils Due comics. At first we were all happy to have G.I. Joe comics back and bought them, but as things went on and more and more poor choices were made, people stopped buying the comic. I know I only made it to issue 17 and I use to be a huge comic fan. The DD comics were good at the time because that was the only choice we had. Now a new company has the license for the comic and I expect great things. I really think the MC group should stick with what they know, the 12' Joe and let someone else take a shot at ARAH Joes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:29 am 
Snake Staked

Just a couple of things to add...

No factory in China will produce a figure in less units than 5000 - that's the industry standard MOQ.

As the molds have already been made, production costs for each of these figures is less than a dollar (25th figures cost $1.25).

So not only are they a complete ripoff, MC is also lying about the production numbers (but a lot of other companies do that also).

My FB customs page

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:47 am 

I was a big fan of the DTC line....when it was running. Even then each wave had certain duds I had no problem skipping (Spirit, Scrap Iron, Mutt, etc). The 25th line has utterly obliterated the need for *any* classic character in new-sculpt format. So much so, I am tempted to unload all my new-sculpt-era figures of SE, CC, Stalker, etc. and just keep the new faces like Hacker, the Stalls, etc.

These are too little, too late, too expensive. That said, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that these will actually sell. Why? There are a lot of completists & rabid collectors out there with poor judgement and bad impulse control. I've been guilty of it myself. These prices are comparable to paying the overseas markup on a rare unreleased figure. They are expensive but they will find an audience. They'll become known for little other than being rare and expensive, regardless of the designs themselves. I dropped out of the club so I will pass, I'd rather focus on 25th and vintage these days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:29 am 
Should be working for Hasbro
Should be working for Hasbro

Dark Horse wrote:
No factory in China will produce a figure in less units than 5000 - that's the industry standard MOQ.

Wrong. I know for a solid FACT that you can get a run done in 100, 200, 500, etc.

Dark Horse wrote:
As the molds have already been made, production costs for each of these figures is less than a dollar (25th figures cost $1.25).

Also wrong. (Unless you're Hasbro, Jakks, etc etc getting a typical run done).

I wish I could share with you all why I know 100% with certainty that both of those statements are wrong, but I can't talk about it due to an agreement. Hopefully one day I can, but for now, it is a myth that you have to have a minimum of 5000 units produced.

Of course, I don't expect any of you to believe me, just as you have no reason to believe DH either. ;-)

905-312-1621

www.bountyhuntertoys.com

Last edited by THE Mike™ on Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:32 am 

THE Mike™ wrote:
Of course, I don't expect any of you to believe me, just as you have no reason to believe DH either. ;-)

I believe you Mike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 pm 
card back fetish
card back fetish

THE Mike™ wrote:

I don't. Canadians lie through there miss-positioned teeth. You just can't trust them. :shifty:

Seriously thought Mike is right, when you are as big as Hasbro (or in the case of MC a Hasbro licensee) you have a good amount of negotiating power (not so much MC but they can call the big H for help), becuse although you may only be ordering 2000 of an item (in this case), two weeks from now you'll be ordering production runs of 100,000. No factory is gonna turn away a big customer like that just because of a smaller production run. They may charge you a bit more per item as the start up cost will be the same regardless if you make 1 or a million, but they won't just flat out tell you no.

Come see the "What I'm Working On" posts every Thursday.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:28 pm 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

THE Mike™ wrote:
Of course, I don't expect any of you to believe me

Attachment:
BHT.JPG
BHT.JPG [ 10.01 KiB | Viewed 1120 times ]

I believe.

- R

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:58 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])