Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GIJCC DTC Figures Priced
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:12 pm 

I wonder if it would have worked better as a con set instead of the way things are packaged up now?

People tend to put the con sets to a specail part of their collection so it doesn't really matter as much that the con figures don't really fit that well into the rest of their collection. Plus the con is always wanting some draw figures to get people to the con so it would be something different than just re-paints.

Of course then again it could end up like the Thundercracker mess from the Transformers club, so I'm not sure what the best way to go for a win would have been.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:18 pm 

Caravankidd wrote:
I wonder if it would have worked better as a con set instead of the way things are packaged up now?

People tend to put the con sets to a specail part of their collection so it doesn't really matter as much that the con figures don't really fit that well into the rest of their collection. Plus the con is always wanting some draw figures to get people to the con so it would be something different than just re-paints.

Of course then again it could end up like the Thundercracker mess from the Transformers club, so I'm not sure what the best way to go for a win would have been.

Well its a damned if you do damned if you don't scenario. If they had released them as part of the Con set (which are always ARAH so it won't happen) then folks would cry and complain that they were con exclusives and not widely available.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:57 pm 
Official JoeCustoms.com Canadian

What I hope they learn is that a show of hands from people at their convention is not a solid enough surveying style. Maybe if it was a room full of Joe fans and their wives, they'd get a better idea of how many people would pay $15+ for a figure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:02 pm 
HATES Mattel

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
If they had released them as part of the Con set (which are always ARAH so it won't happen) then folks would cry and complain that they were con exclusives and not widely available.

What's the diff? They're still not 'widely available' by any stretch of the definition.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:09 pm 

I think maybe the club didn't understand that when fans said, "We would like to see DTC wave 4 released," we didn't mean, "No matter what the price, we absolutely love these figures and want a chance to buy them." It was more along the lines of, "They're okay, and we wouldn't mind paying $6-7 for each of them." All I'm saying is that if I'm going to pay that much for a figure, it better be something really special. For instance, I didn't mind paying for the club exclusive Robot Rebellion Cobra Commander. Aside from the accessories, no part of that figure had been released before, it was an exceptionally well designed figure, and there was no chance of ever getting any part of it otherwise. These wave 4 figures are mediocre at best. Several suffer from the same proportion issues that plagued many newsculpt figures, and most are just slapped together frankenstein jobs with new accessories or maybe a new head. I'm okay with frankensteined figures with one or two new pieces, but not a premium prices.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:19 pm 

Scramble wrote:
What I hope they learn is that a show of hands from people at their convention is not a solid enough surveying style. Maybe if it was a room full of Joe fans and their wives, they'd get a better idea of how many people would pay $15+ for a figure.

That only works when they actually have a price when they ask the question.

If you ask how much something would cost, you don't usally get an answer. It should really come down to "If the figure costs X, how many would buy it? If the figure costs Y, how many would buy it?" I don't really see the Club thinking that way all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:13 am 
Plays a cop
Plays a cop

I'm doing some catch up reading, as Ive been out of the loop for about 10 days. Reading and understanding all this stuff about the figures and their pricing doesnt really suprise me....I dont collect new sculpts and dont plan to start.

However, I do think these figures will be snatched up by completionists and will one day sell out. On the collectors secondary market, I can see these becoming desirable, sought-after items. Maybe not now, but years down the road as people complete thier collections. Remember Bronze Bombers? While not officially Joes, they were laughed right into clearance and now they fetch $400+ MIB. Same thing with a ton of silly looking Joe stuff from thru out the years: Create-A-Cobra, etc.

I personally believe that these will be initially shunned, but 5 years or so from now when they are long gone, they will be desired. Right now we have an over-abundance of products competing for our money. Once the 25th line is done (which I think it will be in a few years), and we have a lull in product, collectors will be going back and picking up stuff they passed on.

I didnt collect NS during the early 2000s, and just picked up new RAH releases. I used that time to go back and pick up tons of stuff that I had missed during the RAH years.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:07 pm 

Put me in the category of Would-Have-Bought-Most-of-Them-and-Army-Built-the-Officer-and-Night-Viper-if-They-Had-Been-Released-in-2006.

But now, with so much 25th product to buy, these get relegated to the Who-Cares category.

OB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:02 pm 
Snake Staked

What sucks the most about this is,.. I was one of the people who wanted these figures.....

...But now I can't afford them at THOSE prices.

- Aristotle."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:44 am 
Narceron.com
Narceron.com

agreed, munitia was pretty cool as maybe a ten dollar fig, but wow, not that cool.

Even 15 would have been too much, lol.

Chief wrote:
Now, I don't know if I've ever mentioned it here in the forums, but I have this intense hatred of short people.*

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:10 pm 

might have been worth the investment, had i become aware how much i dislike the JVC/new sculpt line.
These i just cant get into, too much good 25th stuff.

Plus i have a feeling Joe may suffer the starwars syndrome. And eventually the JVC stuff wont be worth anything.
the RAH will always be worth as its vintage.

just my.02

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:12 am 

ZombieGuide wrote:
However, I do think these figures will be snatched up by completionists and will one day sell out. On the collectors secondary market, I can see these becoming desirable, sought-after items. Maybe not now, but years down the road as people complete thier collections. Remember Bronze Bombers? While not officially Joes, they were laughed right into clearance and now they fetch $400+ MIB. Same thing with a ton of silly looking Joe stuff from thru out the years: Create-A-Cobra, etc.

I personally believe that these will be initially shunned, but 5 years or so from now when they are long gone, they will be desired.

I'll respectfully disagree. The main reason the Bronze Bombers are expensive is because no one bought them back them. As such, most ended up in the hands of kids who destroyed them.

With these figures, and all the MC exclusives, the entire production runs are concentrated in the collector market. (The same was true of the ARAHC Wave V.) That makes a huge difference since it means that most pepole who wanted them have these and there are many collectors who bought multiples to resell or trade at a later date.

I think a better example is to look at the prices of modern Star Wars figures. Most of them are absolutely worthless today. The ones that have retained their value have largely been figures that were either hard to find at retail: but also the only release of the character. As such, in the case of a figure like Munitia, you might be correct in that she will be highly desirable some day. But, in the case of the others, these DTC figures can hardly be called the best version of the character and the marketplace will reflect that.

Look at the history of other Convention exclusives. The only set that has appreciated considerably is the first...because so many collectors at the time passed on it and it was one of the few that likely had low production numbers. Since then, a few individual figures have captured collector attention. But, they are few and far between and most con figs now sell for less than their original price. Look back at the Wave V figures. Those probably had production runs of no more than 5,000 at the highest estimate. Yet, those sell for nothing because the collectors who want them have them and the rest move on.

The Joe market right now is probably bigger than it's been at any time since the heyday of 2003. Yet, most of the "rare" and exclusive figures produced in the past few years have depreciated or stayed flat. New collectors simply don't care about going to back to fill in every figure they are missing. The Joe line is too daunting at this tiem for anyone who isn't already a completist to go back after the fact and fill in. (Hasbro has already released ~150 unique figures THIS YEAR. And, there's tons more on the way. Even if the movie flops and we never see another Joe produced at retail after 2009, there will likely be at least 225 more figures produced between now and then.) As such, you're going to see guys filling their collections with the best versions of figures...not every version. So, if you want to take a gamble, Munitia would be the one I'd go for. But, as she's packed in the most expensive set, MC knows this, too. And, with those other 2 figures likely selling for less than original price on the aftermarket, it will be tough for anyone to really "make" money selling extra Munitia's unless you're buying them on the secondary market today.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:32 am 
Snake Staked

very Good Point, Mike T.

although, I think is more of a price issue that is affecting this right now...

A LOT of people actually wanted these figures, even as late as July of this year, there was a strong showing of people who wanted these. What threw a lot of people for a loop is that some people thought that they would have the same sticker price as the original DTC waves, the Much smarter (who knew the club's pricing) thought they would at least be able to buy these individually.

a Large percent of Club members are:

1) Completists

2) Avid Collectors

3) Retailers

4) Casual Collectors

5) Collecting Zealots who would Buy G.I.Joe Tampons if they could..

For most completists and Zealots, thses figures will, Like Zombieguide Said, sell. Retailers may pick up a few for the inevitible sell out of the low produced figures. The Avid and Causal collectors are having issues withthe price right now.. but if they become discounted (Like they do around Christmas or joecon) best believe, most people who wanted these figures would buy them.

Speaking for myself, I can't justify spending 100 bucks on 5 figures right now. But, being one of the people who did want these figures, if the prices drop slightly, Im picking them up. Sometimes you can't really trust posts, cause How many people moaned about this year's con set,.. yet copped a set anyway? Im assuming a few people who have moaned about these figure being ugly or undesirable, would probably pick them up if the club discounted them.

- Aristotle."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:42 am 

kingofpain26 wrote:

....sadly canceled after Hasbro realized they'd already used the name, "Operation Crimson Sabotage."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:54 am 
King of Daikaiju

Darko wrote:
kingofpain26 wrote:

....sadly canceled after Hasbro realized they'd already used the name, "Operation Crimson Sabotage."

:rotfl:

things aren't as pretty... on the inside"

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])