Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: New Green Lantern figures at TRU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:23 pm 

And they are terrible. The articulation is horrible. Neck turns side to side..shoulder up and down and legs up and down. Think Star Wars figures from back in the day. They also have ones with vehicles and he has a see through green mech suit..BUT...the figure is horrible. I don't have pics because I was on the phone when I saw them. Here is what they look like from another site.

notice the lack of Articulation..Yep, that's all the figures

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: New Green Lantern figures at TRU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:37 pm 
HATES Mattel

One mislikes rooting for failure of a beloved thing; but Bob-a-mighty I hope Mattel fails spectacularly with these so they either give a damn about 18th scale and actually try, or lose the license to somebody that already cares.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:27 am 

Horrible beyond description!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:28 am 

Yeah, I saw these little nightmares today, too. As a nearly life-long GL fan, it's kind of sad to see things that I associate with being cool (the GL logo, the general color scheme, the characters) combined with a bunch of things that I don't think are cool (bad-looking figures with terrible...no, wretched...no, appalling and inexplicable articulation, ugly designs for the alien characters, a movie trailer that couldn't appeal to me less if it tried). Movie aside, though, these figures look baaaaaaaaaaad. The actual sculpting on the figures isn't the worst thing ever: the uniforms have a sculpted striated detail that's not my cup of tea, but probably represents the movie designs well enough. But that articulation is just puzzling; maybe the designers are retro-figure enthusiasts or something. And the figures just look bland: the green and black portions on many of the figures look more like a tie-dye pattern than an intentional design. These guys are going to camp out on the pegs until clearance, because between the green packaging and the green figures and the green everything else, they're some of the least eye-catching toys in a while.

The aliens are where the line really falters, because even if the human characters look like crap, the aliens could have been salvageable. But they're somehow worse: Tomar-Re's head is about the size of a pea (which is to say, way too small for a 3 3/4" figure and about what you'd expect from Mattel's recent offerings), Sinestro looks like a pink Keanu Reeves with a goatee...and a tiny head, and Kilowog's physique is less reminiscent of the huge, hulking figure from the comics and more reminiscent of a woman in a Rubens painting. Maybe it's screen-accurate, but it's not a good look. Anyone who's looking to make a custom of the weird dog-aliens from The Fifth Element is going to love Kilowog, though.

Basically, it's weird to think that after all these years, somebody finally made a 3 3/4" Green Lantern line (a long-time dream of mine)...and I'm not even remotely interested in it. Oh well.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:36 am 
DarkJedi'd

"Dear Mattel,

I waited with baited breath, all a-quiver in anticipation for the live screen adaption of a beloved and cherished comic book hero I devoted years to reading in comic books, spending hundreds of dollars on the graphic novels and comics themselves. I am, of course, talking about the Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds.

I could not wait to go to the toy aisles of my favorite stores, tripping in excitement for the chance to buy action figures based on the movie.

When I got to the store and made my way back, I stood in utter amazement and shock at the crap you dare to have the gall to release as an action figure line. You, Sirs, have raped my childhood and disappointed me for the last time.

Yours truly,
the entire action figure collecting and customizing fan base and comic book fans from the world over

PS: You KNOW what we would do if we had a Green Lantern ring! We have the willpower to shove this toyline right up the nearest orifice! Oh, the things we can imagine."

I just need it to actually be 6"
Lance Sputnik wrote:
This is the sort of story I get wood off of.
pluv wrote:
I'm getting customs blue balls just looking at them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:58 am 

DarkJedi wrote:
"Dear Mattel,

I waited with baited breath, all a-quiver in anticipation for the live screen adaption of a beloved and cherished comic book hero I devoted years to reading in comic books, spending hundreds of dollars on the graphic novels and comics themselves. I am, of course, talking about the Green Lantern movie starring Ryan Reynolds.

I could not wait to go to the toy aisles of my favorite stores, tripping in excitement for the chance to buy action figures based on the movie.

When I got to the store and made my way back, I stood in utter amazement and shock at the crap you dare to have the gall to release as an action figure line. You, Sirs, have raped my childhood and disappointed me for the last time.

Yours truly,
the entire action figure collecting and customizing fan base and comic book fans from the world over

PS: You KNOW what we would do if we had a Green Lantern ring! We have the willpower to shove this toyline right up the nearest orifice! Oh, the things we can imagine."

You need to ADD.............PSS: And with figures that look like they fit in with the Star Wars Kenner line of the 70's..... UPDATE your figures...look at what others are DOING!

[DESTRIN 41016] 2:29 pm: theyre comfortable
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:32 pm: thonnnngs.
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:34 pm: im wearing them right now lol
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:33 pm: i wear girl jeans. i have some girl hoodies also I wear.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:58 am 

If the sculpting was just a tad worse, they could be compared to teh battlestar Galactica figures from teh 1970s. At least Kenner made an effort with the early Star Wars figures.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:54 am 

Another epic fail, pass for me.

I like her and your idea of adding the 3rd shade in her pants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:52 am 
Formerly JFAK075

Sad indeed.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:54 am 

I had high hopes for this 4" line but after seeing pics from the recent cons those hopes were dashed. Oh well, it'll save me some money this year. I still might grab a few of the 6" figures though. At least Hal and Kilowog. Beyond that I'll stick to the DCUC figures and the little Action League stuff.

Team RED LASERS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:14 pm 
Snake Staked

i honestly dont understand Mattell's continuous viewpoint on figure articulation...

its as if they just dont wnt to make toys anymore,a nd is hoping hasbro buys them out...

- Aristotle."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:26 pm 

After reading how Mattel lost their lawsuit for the Bratz line, One would think they would go all out with this line.

As for Hasbro buying them out, if they do i hope they fire everybody that works for Mattel and rename that company, like remco. :-P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:09 pm 
Hairy Llama
Hairy Llama

That's where the problem I think is at. Mattel has developed an art of writing off poor selling lines along with Barbie and Hot Wheels always being a cash cow. Even the Bratz lawsuit isn't that big of a blow to their pocket. With all of that, it hasn't really been much to hit them hard to say "hey you need to wise up and modernize. Even with He-Man, sure people think they're doing great, but it's still a poor effort for something that could sell a whole lot more.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm no longer going to buy items I really don't like. I bought some of the Superman stuff to "make it better" and I did so with several other Mattel made items. Most I never got around to. I just don't want to even get the stuff on clearance because in Mattel's eyes, it ends up being "maybe the price was too high" rather than "maybe the figures really do look as bad as people say".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:18 pm 
HATES Mattel

I will admit that once they go to clearance, I could see getting some of the sets with Guardians in them. But the GLs will get wrapped up in a diaper and mailed back to Mattel so they know what I think of their efforts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:19 pm 

J_Man wrote:
That's where the problem I think is at. Mattel has developed an art of writing off poor selling lines along with Barbie and Hot Wheels always being a cash cow. Even the Bratz lawsuit isn't that big of a blow to their pocket. With all of that, it hasn't really been much to hit them hard to say "hey you need to wise up and modernize. Even with He-Man, sure people think they're doing great, but it's still a poor effort for something that could sell a whole lot more.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm no longer going to buy items I really don't like. I bought some of the Superman stuff to "make it better" and I did so with several other Mattel made items. Most I never got around to. I just don't want to even get the stuff on clearance because in Mattel's eyes, it ends up being "maybe the price was too high" rather than "maybe the figures really do look as bad as people say".

According to the news headlines on MSN they (mattel) spent 400 million for the past 7 years on that lawsuit and lost and was ordered to pay MGA 88.5 million, their stock took a fall to 2.some odd cents a share, their sales have been down, investors are selling their stock, so things don't look good for them, they need a whole new outlook into the market and relook at their action figure lines if they want to stay afloat, they can't just rely on old Barbie, Toy Story, Cars and smaller lines, if they keep this up, they lose.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])