Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABORATORIES: DAREDEVIL- THE MAN WITHOUT FEAR PA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:26 pm 

Gaaway, Tanstoys, drbindy, Shakka85: Thank you gents so much! I don't use a special set-up for my pics, just a desk lamp, background, my phone/camera and A LOT of patience. Last photo session ran somewhere around 11-12 hours...

drbindy, you're right about the color being off on Cap. I modded the Hasbro head very little, and decided not to touch the blue of the helmet. At first I wanted to match helmet and uniform, then kinda thought that, since they're made from different materials and components, the blues wouldn't be an exact 100% match. This is how I justify laziness? :shifty:

More new pieces to come... might put it up to a vote of what you guys wanna see... whaddayathink?

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: STRANGE LABORATORIES: NICK FURY- AGENT OF... S.H.I.E.L.D.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:09 pm 

BEEN WATCHING THE AVENGERS A LOT... CAN YOU TELL?

Unlike his flashier counterparts like Spider-Man or The Hulk, Nick Fury wasn't a character I truly understood or appreciated until I was much older. While I knew of and read the comics featuring the caucasian version of the character, it was the "Sam Jackson" incarnation from Millar & Hitch's Ultimates that hooked me.

The Colonel here is barely a custom. It's a Snake-Eyes figure with a third party head, with minor paint work, but I felt it was THE perfect base for the world's greatest spy. A black coat is planned for him, but I haven't decided if I want to have a leather effect or muted black fabric...

My take on Fury is that he is a government agent who has taken on a legendary status, whose reputation has preceded him since Colonial times, when the first Nicholas Fury was appointed by Commander-in-Chief George Washington. My WWII Fury is relatively new to the role, replacing the previous Nick Fury, who was killed in action during a brave assault on an Axis headquarters.

I do have plans to build the "classic" version of Nick Fury at some point, but in the meantime, I'm going to work on this Fury's black trench coat, and then, knowing me, probably go in a completely different direction.

COMING UP: The Ghost Who Walks, The Man With the Hat, VILLAINS STRIKE BACK!

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABORATORIES: NICK FURY- AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. P
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:09 pm 
General Pittance Contributor
General Pittance Contributor

excellent work

Ultimate Fury is my favorite comic character ever so I always love seeing customs of him. Kick ass.

Post subject: STRANGE LABORATORIES: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN & DOC OCK
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:25 pm 

night force cynic wrote:
excellent work

Ultimate Fury is my favorite comic character ever so I always love seeing customs of him. Kick ass.

Thank you, night force cynic! It was one of those, "Why haven't I made ______ yet?!" moments while watching The Avengers for the umpteenth time.

Completed in 2012, this version of Spider-Man almost didn't happen. I had previously completed Spider-Man Noir and thought that would be the end of it for Spider-Man in the World War 2 era… but there was something about the parts combo of Jedi Luke and Snake Eyes' head that I couldn't deny, even though I used the same Jedi Luke as a base for my very first Gotham's Most Wanted Batman (it was later jettisoned for the current design).

Like a lot of my redesigns, I wanted to sort of eliminate the costume-y elements, or ground them more in reality. I dropped the webbing, but kept the original red & black classic color scheme and eye shapes (to make him more identifiable). I added a small, basic utility belt, but nothing too bulky-- he's gotta be able to move! This Spidey, like Captain America, is a member of The Avengers, defending Earth from threats within and outside of our known universe, and bringing vigilantes like The Batman in. They're the only ones powerful enough.

Doc Ock is one of my earliest, most vivid memories. Or, rather, a top emblazoned with a sticker of Doc Ock-- or, Doctor Octopus as he was known then-- which "battled" a similar top with Spidey on it. Two of gazillions of random toys released under the Secret Wars brand 30 years ago. Along with Dr. Doom, Kang the Conqueror, and Magneto, Doc Ock was the definition of a super villain to my 4 year-old brain… but out of that group, he remains the favorite. The green and yellow color scheme, glasses, and mechanical arms made quite a visceral impression, and I've loved Doc Ock ever since.

Completed in March 2013, Doctor Octopus began as an Arctic Snake Eyes figure (chosen for its bulkiness) with four bendy tentacles from Toy Biz's Train Battle playset, from the Spider-Man 2 toy line. The head and goggles are random finds from my Fodder Graveyard. Didn't really feel the need to mess with perfection when it came to Ock's design, as it's still very much the same, in a slightly different style. Green jumpsuit, yellow protective gloves & boots, bowl haircut… the only thing that really changed was his glasses, which seemed kind of impractical (he gets punched in the face a lot). Goggles looked cooler and they're more scientist.

http://strangelabs.blogspot.com/2013/03 ... topus.html

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABORATORIES: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN & DOC OCK P
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 am 

Wow.
That Spidey is pretty cool. He looks like he's wearing bike racing leathers instead of tights.
A nice and refreshing take on the character. Good use of the SE head.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:07 am 
Formerly JFAK075

Pure gold with these two.

My customs- http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u468/keenan42/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:36 am 

Ock actually looks like a threat an not a fat Austin Powers, perfect!

Digging the streamlined Spidey.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:10 pm 

Oh wow! I would buy each of these in a heart beat! I really love that Spidey and Doctor Octopus! He has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid too.

Rock Sugar
Because Pop Rocks!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:29 pm 

really digging these last two. That head makes a great realistic take on spider-man and I would love to see it paired with a more traditional looking spidy too.

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABORATORIES: UNMENSCH & GOTHAM'S MOST WANTED
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 pm 

Cap wrote:
All of these scream, but I am loving the Mr Freeze the most. The texture and the dio seal it excellently. What a selection, most awesome.

Same here. I'd like to have Mr. Freeze in my collection. I want to ask what did you use for the cristal dome on him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:53 pm 

Redmao wrote:
Wow.
That Spidey is pretty cool. He looks like he's wearing bike racing leathers instead of tights.
A nice and refreshing take on the character. Good use of the SE head.

Thank you! It took me a while to crack exactly how I wanted to convey the costume without being too costume-y. While I like the Spider-Man Noir design, it's a little too minimal for me at times, and kinda loses the Spidey-ness. I thought leathers would be cool, and how black and red leather paired together look wicked, and just kinda ran with it. :-D

Keenan wrote:
Pure gold with these two.

Man, thank you. Really pleased with how they turned out-- projects that came out exactly as they appeared in my head, and I couldn't think of any other way to post them but together. Your work inspires me so much, and got me through my lean years of customizing (1 piece a year, really). Your words mean a lot.

iwbeta wrote:
Ock actually looks like a threat an not a fat Austin Powers, perfect!

Digging the streamlined Spidey.

That's always been Ock's problem, right? Pretty much every incarnation of the character looks like Elton john with robotic arms. I wanted something that conveyed his scientist background, while remaining true to the design. I kinda see Doc Ock as the ultimate mouth-breathing creeper; the science geek who was picked on his whole life finally getting revenge.

toy-nutz wrote:
Oh wow! I would buy each of these in a heart beat! I really love that Spidey and Doctor Octopus! He has always been a favorite of mine since I was a kid too.

Thanks, dude! When I was a kid, I had these Secret Wars spinning tops decorated with stickers of Spidey & Doc Ock that "battled" each other. I think it comes from them, haha.

revsears wrote:
really digging these last two. That head makes a great realistic take on spider-man and I would love to see it paired with a more traditional looking spidy too.

That Snake Eyes head is my de facto Spider-Man. I used it for my Spider-Man Noir figure, as well, but I don't remember if I've posted that one. Soon as I opened that figure, I had already parted it out in my mind...

Rambo wrote:
Cap wrote:
All of these scream, but I am loving the Mr Freeze the most. The texture and the dio seal it excellently. What a selection, most awesome.

Same here. I'd like to have Mr. Freeze in my collection. I want to ask what did you use for the cristal dome on him.

If memory serves, it's from a Star Wars Clone Wars figure, but I don't remember which one, 'cuz I found it in my accessories bin. Freeze was a lot of fun to work on because it took me back to my ARAH customizing days. Definitely miss being able to take the figures apart with a screwdriver.

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABORATORIES: DR. ARNIM ZOLA PG. 6
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:39 pm 

Seeing pictures of Dr. Arnim Zola (or just "Arnim Zola") always confused me growing up. I didn't realize his "head" was a camera and that his "face" was actually a screen broadcasting his likeness and not actually some giant, freaky-ass head-in-a-stomach. No offense to The King, but Jack Kirby's art didn't help, so I combined the creepy visual with the bizarre name and wrote him off as some sort of Marvel cosmic villain, which I really wasn't into at the time... curiously, though, Zola wasn't too far off from Krang (from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), whom I loved and thought was awesome. I think the difference was that I knew Krang's body was a robot.

Later I learned I how cool Dr. Zola actually is-- I'm always a sucker for a mad scientist, especially when they're crazy, German, and possibly evil, evil Nazi scum. They make the best villains. Completed today, April 1st, 2013, Arnim Zola is basically an LBC, based primarily off a GI Joe 25th Anniversary Battle Android Trooper (my favorite GI Joe figure/character). The camera head was kitbashed together from greebles on my workbench.

Finding the right face for Zola took forever, with at least four different images and numerous false starts. Since the good doctor here is from the late 30s-early 40s, the picture is in black & white. At first I went with the Zola from Captain America: The First Avenger... then the one from the video game based on the movie, then I toyed with a bunch of pictures of Toht from Raiders of the Lost Ark... then inspiration struck and I knew precisely who would work. My lips are sealed, heeheehee...

http://strangelabs.blogspot.com/2013/04 ... a-has.html

Post subject: Re: STRANGE LABORATORIES: ARNIM ZOLA, SPIDEY, DOC OCK PG.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Looks good. You went a very similar route as joemichaels did with his AZ. It even sounds based on your comment that you reached the same warped (yet awesome lol) conclusion as he did, to use a pic of yourself for the screen?

Either way, one of my favorite threads of the year just keeps on going

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 pm 

drbindy wrote:
Looks good. You went a very similar route as joemichaels did with his AZ. It even sounds based on your comment that you reached the same warped (yet awesome lol) conclusion as he did, to use a pic of yourself for the screen?

Either way, one of my favorite threads of the year just keeps on going

Just checked out joemichaels' Zola, and we both indeed used that B.A.T. as a launching pad-- his looks like a wicked robot minion that takes no prisoners. I especially like what he used to build the head.

Wish I'd been clever enough to use my own image for Zola... would've been a kinda cool cameo in my collection, and it probably would have been less of a mission. When I couldn't find any perfect pictures of Toht from Raiders, I started brainstorming and ended up with an image out of left field that worked perfectly...

Thank you so much, man!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:16 pm 

I was trying to figure out who the face was. Inspired choice.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 32  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])