Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Resurgence Day 31 - Catalogs, Fanfic and Closing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:04 am 

Day 31 has our catalogs, a link to an awesome fanfic by Lifeline_MD and some final musings.

OB

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:06 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Last edited by Tim 121RVC on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:45 am 

Wow, the catalogs really really set this project apart from any other custom project I've seen. These are production quality and don't look custom made. Super way to end the end the month!

Please tell me there are plans for a Resurgence Wave 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:18 am 

This has been a fun project. Very ambitious, to say the least. I've really enjoyed the whole 'male believe toy line' angle that you've been doing, so this last update really ties that all together for me. Well done! I hope you guys give yourselves a nice, well earned break before starting whatever new massive projects you've got up your sleeves.

"i love you, Lance Sputnik." (Joemichales70)

:lacespudneck: :mindbender:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:41 am 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

Oh. My. God.

That is frankly perfect, down to the crease lines in the folder. It looks so perfectly legit, that if someone had passed it off as a recently found foreign joe line, I would have absolutely bought it.

The pictures are perfect. Completely nailed the look and feel of the original material.

I am so massively impressed by this. I really hope that you can get all the customs and materials together in one place as a museum exhibit. It's just that good.

And if you ever need some help with Filecards, you have my pen. I'm no General Hawk or Trekker, but I'm handy with a pen.

- R

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 am 

I've been following along with this project all month. What an impressive, inspiring and aesthetically wonderful set of figures. You guys really pay tribute to Joe's past glories by taking up the spirit of innovation that made the ARAH line so great for so long, and you created a lot of awesome stuff in the process. If these were in stores I'd go broke buying multiples. I only wish Hasbro could offer us anything even close.

Last edited by LeeMarvin80 on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:58 am 

Thanks guys.

Jogunwarrior wrote:
Please tell me there are plans for a Resurgence Wave 2!
:shifty:

Lance, thank you for the kind words. We always have ideas brewing, but we are a bit spent. There have been quite a few large projects in the last year and a short break will do us some good and give you guys a break too :lol: We enjoyed doing this project so much, that there will almost certainly be a follow-up, but not before next year. Also, we all have some personal stuff that will be taking us away from customs (good things, like moving and getting married :-D ).

That being said, there is an entire sub-line of figures and vehicles that we created and finished, but that got cut from Resurgence (we left a pretty big easter egg in the reveals, so it should be easy to guess). We will take a few days or a week in October to show those off. Also, each of us has some personal customs that we will be showing off in the next few months, so we will be around.

OB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:36 am 

OreoBuilder wrote:
Resurgence became an experiment is expanding the GI Joe universe. We tried something new by structuring our project around a mock product launch. We made enough customs to fill a month, along with filecards, concept art, packaging mock-ups and catalogues to flesh out our pretend line. We structured our entire project around 20 or so new unknown characters. Whether we accomplished what we set out to do or not, we’ll leave that up to you guys.

You accomplished this objective astonishingly well. I've seen a lot of very impressive customs during my time on this board. I've never seen anything brought together so effectively as this, with the clear intent of presenting itself so effectively as a practical restart of G.I. Joe as it should be, something that, if Hasbro could be persuaded to make it, and the retailers could be persuaded to buy it, would essentially need NO alterations to speak of to bring it to market. I mean, really, this is good to go as it is.

And you take a look at those catalogues presented today, essentially seeing everything on a couple of pages, and all I can do is stare in wonder at all the hard work on everybody's part at what was achieved here. This is the sort of thing that -- well, makes one wish for access to an alternate universe where all of these fine figures and vehicles were indeed brought to market, just so they could all be added to our collections. There is no doubt in my mind that, if that were done, with the proper media support, it'd be 1982 all over again.

You described this as trying to capture "lightning in a bottle" again. The last time I heard that phrase used was with regard to Star Trek: The Next Generation. When it first came along, no one knew if the fans would accept an entirely new Star Trek series with a whole new crew, different uniforms, new time period, the works. Well, we know what happened there. Next Generation was a massive hit, and led to Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise. G.I. Joe Resurgence has that same spirit. You have succeeded, and I am sure that I am one among many who congratulate you, and only wish we could own these figures ourselves.

OreoBuilder wrote:
GITrekker (Thomas Wheeler) and Justin over at generalsjoes.com really helped us with the characterization of each custom character. They really put effort into it, sometimes only getting a picture and a name, sometimes a rough draft of what the character was about. Justin obviously loves the brand, as does Trekker, whom helped write the filecards from the re-launch of ARAH back at the turn of the century, and loves to do so. Trekker writes for a living, and is available for hire to write if anybody wants to get in touch with him. Those guys really hit a home run with the filecards.

Thank you, and may I say that it's been a joy and an honor to be part of this. The last time I was involved in a project of this scope was, indeed, the 1997 and 1998 G.I. Joe lines for Hasbro. While I have written file cards for some of my own customs, which have appeared here on JoeCustoms, I've never before been involved in such an extensive project for someone else like this, and I really enjoyed it. I got to see some (but not all) of the product ahead of time, and was consistently blown away by how impressive it was, and was given a few basic bits of information regarding the characters I would be writing about, but for the most part, I was free to develop these characters as I saw fit, and I'm pleased that my efforts were received so well.

And a tip of the hat to Lifeline_MD for writing a really awesome fanfic story that really captures these new characters and brings them into the Joe mythos. I especially liked how he handled Glitch, Tracer, and Riff Raff!

And indeed, I am most definitely available for hire for similar projects as this, or any other writing/proofing/editing projects anyone might care to send my way. I'd love to keep this sort of thing going, and -- heck, I can use the work.

Designing the file cards to look as much like the originals as my graphics program could manage was a lot of fun, as well. I'm glad to have been a part of this. Bucky, OreoBuilder, and Dusty79 have clearly shown they know what G.I. Joe is all about, and it has really shown in this project. The recommendations of Kirk Bozigian certainly helped bring it all together, and everyone involved has resulted in, I'm sure, G.I. JOE: RESURGENCE being the sort of G.I. Joe we'd all like to see. Well done, everyone!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm 

I really like the catalogs and the packaging pics re all amazing.Well done to a good group project that I believe was successful. Some cool figures and vehicle too of course

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm 

From beginning to end this project has been an awesome experience. I would gladly buy all of these that I'd be able to afford.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm 
Plug
Plug

Good job guys. Those catalogs seal it. And congratulations for pulling off yet another epic project.

Attachment:
clapping-minions-gif.gif
clapping-minions-gif.gif [ 451.03 KiB | Viewed 2832 times ]

Post subject: Revenge of Cobra!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:11 pm 

I've been following the Resurgence project with a great deal of interest. I love large scale projects, and I have admired the work of many of the involved collaborators for a while. I knew I wanted to offer my support beyond telling them all "Good job!" I know projects like this can be draining, and there's a sadness to see them draw to close and letting go of them. I tried to think about the kind of support I find most fulfilling, as well as what kind of response Resurgence deserved being presented as a real toyline that could have / should have been.

I came up with the idea of digital repaints. It's a close to customizing these virtual offerings as I could come, and I believe that customizing is one of the highest compliments a toyline can get. It says, "this thing you made makes me want to make things." I showed the Resurgence gang my first two ideas, mostly to get their blessing because I didn't want these to come across as trying to "fix" their ideas... then built upon their concepts, and Hasbro concepts, to celebrate what I love about G.I. Joe, customizing, and the Resurgence project.

"Revenge of COBRA" 7 Figure Box Set, $41.99 MSRP

COBRA COMMANDER is back with an onslaught of reinforcements! These COBRA troops are re-armed and ready for battle. Deploy them with the rest of your G.I. JOE: RESURGENCE action figures, vehicles, and playsets and find out if G.I. JOE has what it takes to defeat COBRA, once and for all!

"Crimson" Cobra Commander

The obligatory red-repaint figure. I knew I wanted to do a 7 pack, like the recent online exclusives, and while my goal was to do a repaint of each of the COBRA army builder figures, I needed one more to finish off the set. The original Resurgence color scheme is beautiful, and one of the most eye catching customs I've seen in a long time. Initially I thought to give him the "Back in Black" treatment, but realized that "just paint it black" is a bit of a crutch to make a figure look "cool," and one we've seen an over abundance of in lines like Rise of Cobra. Resurgence is notable for it's use of vivid colors, so I decided a crimson repaint, with a few black detail areas, was more appropriate.

Motor-Viper (Track-Viper Repaint)

A simpler idea than most of the others, and one I don't feel came out particularly well, I tried to do the Track-Viper in the older Motor-Viper color scheme. I think the Resurgence Track-Viper is such a spot on update of the original figure that there's not much room left to play... other than another Python Patrol repaint.

Cobra Air Crew (Gyro-Viper Repaint)

The Gyro-Viper, like the Track-Viper is such a spot on update of the original figure that I didn't see much room for altering it without trying to make it a distinct trooper. I also wanted to address the odd color scheme of the Gyro-Viper, which seem to fit in with either the blue and black of most Cobra Troops, or the Black/Gray/Red scheme common to many of the pilot figures. I thought perhaps this blue repaint would serve as crew/gunners for vehicles like the Venom Chopper.

Black Light IG Flamethrowers (Pyro-Viper Repaint)

When I showed the Resurgence crew my first two concepts, I asked if they had any ideas for other repaints and Oreo Builder suggested trying an Iron Grenadiers color scheme. This was also a chance to flex some photoshop muscles to see if I could convincingly turn a primarily white figure black, which I think came out pretty well.

Python Create-A-Cobra

I couldn't resist trying another Python repaint after the Viper came out so well. This one is based on the Python Trooper (which confusingly uses the Officer body) and was another interesting challenge to try and take the black parts and make them believable gray.

Python Viper

This was the second figure I played with recoloring, and came out good enough that I decided it was a concept worth following up on. It's also one of my favorite Resurgence figures. The Resurgence Viper is a great update to the original. Recognizable, but nicely tweaked for a bit more modern look.

Stealth B.A.T. (Classic colors B.A.T. repaint)

By far, my favorite Resurgence figure. The new BAT design is great, playing up the robotic elements and giving him plenty of firepower. And the red looks great too. The color scheme reminded me of the Inferno BATs, so I had to try and take a step back along their uniform history to see what this new design would look like in classic black.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:37 pm 

Those digibashes are awesome. I saved every pic to make them happen in plastic. Viper, Create-a-Cobra and BAT are my favorites, but the Track-Viper becoming a Motor Viper is inspired. I would have never thought of that in a million. years. Thanks for doing this Dan!

OB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:43 pm 

Just when I thought this project couldn't get any cooler. Those digital repaints are amazing! Very well done, DanoftheDead!

Think a couple of them could use some file cards, too. Hmmmm..... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:44 pm 
Plug
Plug

Dang it DotD, now I want those too. OB, if you follow the recipes for this, my one suggestion is to give the Moto-Viper a vest. It doesn't have to be the RoC Moto Viper vest. Anything will work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 267 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])