Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:57 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: New to Joe Customs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:34 am 
So, anyway, it's been about 12 years since I was into Joes. Back then I knew a few folks here and got on well with them. I don't know if Shockwave is still around but Beav should remember me (albeit not as CoolBreeze). I can't honestly remember what I called myself back then. I see Beav passed over the reigns to Pluv (the name rings a bell, but I don't think we ever talked).

What happened to me (and who the heck am I) you might ask? I did what most do, got married, kids, house, another life and convinced myself Joes was something I should really get out of after spending many years collecting, even customizing.

Now I've found myself "dabbling" again, but no customs yet. Dabbling after what seems like a lifetime. So much has changed since the early 2000's. I'm not even sure if I have the skill to go up against such talented folks here.

What else? I'm strictly a vintage Joes guy. I like the movies but as much as I might say "good job" for what Hasbro have done (especially the 12" Sideshow line, wow!) I have to stick with what I grew up with. That's where the memories are and for me that's pretty important.

So, is this strictly a customizing site? I have few questions about vintage ARAH that need answers.

If not, are there other places that cater to vintage Joe collecting?

Btw, I did try and find my entries in the Bivouac archives but couldn't find them. I'm not sure if they were submitted before or after the Bivouac shut down but it was some alternate universe I think.

Post subject: Re: New to Joe Customs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:12 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Welcome back! There are several of us here that do mostly ARAH customs, so you will fit in just fine!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:28 pm 

One thing I can say for sure, this is not strictly a customizing site. There are a lot of conversations had that don't involve customizing. But if you want to talk about customizing, this the best place to be.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:11 pm 

Welcome aboard. Lots of customizing, but also collecting discussions.
Plus some off the wall stuff.
Good place.

25th Serpentor / ROC Speed Metal

"You can't re-schedule scheduled maintenance that's been scheduled!" - Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:38 am 

First of all, welcome! And, I like your name. Cool Breeze. There's a character I wish had lasted longer in the comics -- and maybe even gotten a figure.

CoolBreeze2 wrote:
I'm strictly a vintage Joes guy.

GOOD FOR YOU! :-D

CoolBreeze2 wrote:
So, is this strictly a customizing site? I have few questions about vintage ARAH that need answers.

Not at all. We're collectors as well as customizers. Ask away. There's still plenty of ARAH fans still on this board, myself included, that will do their best to answer your questions.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 am 

Firstly, this is still "me" and not an impostor! :P

I had originally signed up as Cool Breeze, but no email came, so I tried with a different email account and "boom", instant verification! Typical!! :P

Second, a big thanks to Pluv for fixing this for me! The CoolBreeze2 account is still active though (which I think you said you had removed).

Third, a big, big thanks for the warm welcome!! Thanks GITrekker! I liked the character too. I remember not liking the editors choice to wipe him and a whole bunch of main Joes out though. :(

I found myself signing up to Joe Customs and Yo Joe (about the only two I could remember), so if you see me there that would still be me. :)

I'm just trying to find a nice place that works for me. I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky guy, evil sense of humor at times, but don't want any hassles (or be the cause them, even inadvertently).

Now, to Joe related matters! :) 1-6 are kind of custom questions. The rest are purely collecting. (Mods, I don't know if I should split these up or have them all here under a "general" category).

1) Has anyone produced some "Hasbro quality" parts or even figures? I came across some Crimson Guard figures molded in different colored plastic (years ago now, when I wasn't really collecting). I've also come across the resin ones you can paint up but I'd love some colored plastic parts or whole figures.

2) Somewhat related to that, is there a part of the site that tells me what happened to the vintage (circa 1998) O-Ring Joes once Hasbro started moving away from the classic figures?

3) Has anyone started a Kickstarter type campaign for vintage O-ring Joes? Is it even allowed/tolerated by Hasbro?

4) Has anyone used 3D technology to do something similar by producing parts or whole figures for vintage O-ring Joes?

5) Did anyone try to get those "lost" designs from the ill fated 1995 range and bring them back (e.g. cast the parts and use legs or other parts from existing Joes to make a whole figure)?

6) If not, did the 1995 prototype figures and vehicles just vanish into collections to be forgotten?

7) I like mint stuff. Mint loose, mint in box (sealed bags), mint in sealed box, mint on sealed card. You get the idea. :P I know that a figure is never truly mint, given that it's probably 30 years old and has rattled around inside a bubble and worn a little bit (maybe). Is there a place (dealers, stores, respected individuals that specialize in selling minty mint as mint can be loose figures?

8) The same question but for MOC and MIB (factory sealed).

9) I remember some vintage vehicles being factory sealed by glue and others by tape (I always wondered why that was, but that's not my question). If I don't go the AFA route, how do I stop myself from getting scammed from something that has been carefully resealed? I don't recall this being a problem 10 years ago, but then the prices weren't as high back then.

10) I saw something the other day about Hasbro never being able to re-release the old O-rings because they don't have the molds. Is this true?

11) If that's the case why are Hasbro still managing to re-release vintage ARAH vehicles that originally came out anywhere from 1985 to 1988?

Disclaimer: Getting back into Joes after a long break. Mods and the gang here, please don't assume the worst if I say something that goes against the rules. I'll do everything I can to be a good member!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:14 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Hey, welcome over here!
I'll get back to your questions tomorrow.

Do you remember some of your old customs? Names, or could you describe them? Maybe that way I can find your old username on the Bivouac.....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:26 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

CoolBreeze wrote:
Now, to Joe related matters! :) 1-6 are kind of custom questions. The rest are p
1) Has anyone produced some "Hasbro quality" parts or even figures? I came across some Crimson Guard figures molded in different colored plastic (years ago now, when I wasn't really collecting). I've also come across the resin ones you can paint up but I'd love some colored plastic parts or whole figures.
- Black Major was the guys name. He has sold his business to Rex Laser, who has some other figures in the works.

2) Somewhat related to that, is there a part of the site that tells me what happened to the vintage (circa 1998) O-Ring Joes once Hasbro started moving away from the classic figures?

-Yojoe.com could be your best bet.

3) Has anyone started a Kickstarter type campaign for vintage O-ring Joes? Is it even allowed/tolerated by Hasbro?

- The closest figure made was that of the female Shooter by Falcone here.

4) Has anyone used 3D technology to do something similar by producing parts or whole figures for vintage O-ring Joes?

- Not sure.

5) Did anyone try to get those "lost" designs from the ill fated 1995 range and bring them back (e.g. cast the parts and use legs or other parts from existing Joes to make a whole figure)?

- http://brokenarrowtoys.com
- LobsterOverlord here was the first, but the only source that I know of is Alyosha (above link)

6) If not, did the 1995 prototype figures and vehicles just vanish into collections to be forgotten?

- Pretty much.

7) I like mint stuff. Mint loose, mint in box (sealed bags), mint in sealed box, mint on sealed card. You get the idea. :P I know that a figure is never truly mint, given that it's probably 30 years old and has rattled around inside a bubble and worn a little bit (maybe). Is there a place (dealers, stores, respected individuals that specialize in selling minty mint as mint can be loose figures?

- eBay.com :)

8) The same question but for MOC and MIB (factory sealed).

9) I remember some vintage vehicles being factory sealed by glue and others by tape (I always wondered why that was, but that's not my question). If I don't go the AFA route, how do I stop myself from getting scammed from something that has been carefully resealed? I don't recall this being a problem 10 years ago, but then the prices weren't as high back then.

- Check feedback for the seller.

10) I saw something the other day about Hasbro never being able to re-release the old O-rings because they don't have the molds. Is this true?

- Yep. Hasbro has moved on.

11) If that's the case why are Hasbro still managing to re-release vintage ARAH vehicles that originally came out anywhere from 1985 to 1988?

- They are compatible with the new figures. Also, making molds isn't as big as a deal as it once was.

emoticons by Sapper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:35 pm 

With regard to 11) - One might also expect that Hasbro kept closer track of the vehicle molds, which were almost certainly more expensive. It might also have been easier to keep track of them because of their size.

I've heard a lot of stories over the years -- too many to discount them entirely -- about how Hasbro switched factories any number of times, and would arrange to ship the molds from one factory to another, and every so often, they wouldn't all show up. Carelessness? Intentional sabotage? Who knows? But, between that sort of thing, and just plain age and use and wear (there's a lot more Storm Shadows than there are Snow Cats, or Basilisks, or whatever it's being called this week), the molds of the early figures are either gone or unusable.

I also remember something a Hasbro rep said at a Transformers convention, when they started up with Generation 2, and there was that assortment of chrome-plated mini-cars. He commented on how glad Hasbro was that Bumblebee was among them, because out of all of the mini-cars they ever made, those four were the only ones that still had viable molds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:50 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

I also believe that a lot of the vehicles are new/remolds of the originals, so it is not certain that the old molds were used. I know that a fellow collector loaned a vintage Skystriker to the designers at Hasbro when they recreated the plane. Also, there are changes to a lot of the vehicles when they were rereleased.

Some figure molds were lost when shipped to other countries (it seems that a lot of molds sent to South America were never seen again).

emoticons by Sapper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:58 pm 

chad_ghost wrote:
I also believe that a lot of the vehicles are new/remolds of the originals, so it is not certain that the old molds were used. I know that a fellow collector loaned a vintage Skystriker to the designers at Hasbro when they recreated the plane. Also, there are changes to a lot of the vehicles when they were rereleased.

Some figure molds were lost when shipped to other countries (it seems that a lot of molds sent to South America were never seen again).

I think one of the reasons the SkyStriker had to be remade was to that the whole structure of the plane could be redone to fit in the box.

And also true, a lot of the molds sent to South America were lost. This included the 1993 Dr. Mindbender legs, which were, of course, the 1986 Viper legs, which is why every Viper released from 1997 on had BAT legs. Only the 2006 Viper Pit set remade the upper legs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:23 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

GITrekker wrote:
And also true, a lot of the molds sent to South America were lost. This included the 1993 Dr. Mindbender legs, which were, of course, the 1986 Viper legs, which is why every Viper released from 1997 on had BAT legs. Only the 2006 Viper Pit set remade the upper legs.

Btw, have you ever noticed the 93 Mindbender card art has Iron Grenadier legs?

emoticons by Sapper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:06 am 

also if your on Facebook. there's a BUNCH of GI Joe groups there as well.....

[DESTRIN 41016] 2:29 pm: theyre comfortable
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:32 pm: thonnnngs.
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:34 pm: im wearing them right now lol
[DESTRIN 41016] 2:33 pm: i wear girl jeans. i have some girl hoodies also I wear.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:17 am 

Tim 121RVC wrote:
Hey, welcome over here!
I'll get back to your questions tomorrow.

Do you remember some of your old customs? Names, or could you describe them? Maybe that way I can find your old username on the Bivouac.....

Okay. Sorry for the delay. I'll answer this separately.

I have mental images of all of them (even most of the parts used) but the names were elusive. Until now that is. :)

I don't know if these were submitted before or after The Bivouac shut down. It might have been at the beginning of Joe Customs.

The figures:

Destro
I don't remember the parts breakdown other than he has a tartan sash and was (to the best of my knowledge) submitted as a variation of Destro using the v2 head.

Elite Iron Grenadier
I'm not sure if this was the exact name submitted but he was definitely my take on an Iron Grenadier.

He had a Vapor v1 (Hurricane pilot) head in the gold and black of the Iron Grenadiers, a red fabric cape over his left shoulder.

Overlord's body. Track Viper v1 arms. Vintage Star Wars "Imperial Guard" Staff (painted gold with black grip). Custom arm mini missiles, using Heat Viper leg missiles (homage to Destro v1). Base color: Black with gold accents

Dr. Mindbender
Gnawgahyde head
(Detail painting with half his face detailed like a cyborg)

Annihilator body (most of the outfit was black with purple accents, gold trim at the front).

Thrasher's right arm (the one with the heavy glove) painted metallic in keeping with the cyborg theme.

Snake Eyes
Snake Eyes v1 Head. Body unknown. (I do remember no features, like a t-shirt top). Arms and legs (I think were SE v1 as well)

Other information: customized single big bladed knife (with "spikes" on the finder guard, built up slowly from globs of paint) in sheath at the front.

Sword in sheath at the back. Arashikage symbol on top arm. Base color: black, gun metal accents.

Tempest
This was my take on BF2000. He had a modified v1 Outback head (made to look like he was shouting with "teeth", hair painted brown), Blaster v1 body. Base color aircraft gray with black and white "camo" over the entire outfit.

There were probably more but that's all I can remember. I remember writing bio's for some (or all of them too).

I still can't believe a cannibalized a perfectly good, mint Vapor for a custom! :(

Disclaimer: Getting back into Joes after a long break. Mods and the gang here, please don't assume the worst if I say something that goes against the rules. I'll do everything I can to be a good member!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 am 

chad_ghost wrote:
CoolBreeze wrote:
Now, to Joe related matters! :) 1-6 are kind of custom questions. The rest are p

- Black Major was the guys name. He has sold his business to Rex Laser, who has some other figures in the works.

Will those figures be vintage O-Ring ARAH style with colored plastic? I checked out eBay and found some hybrid customs that I think the Black Major did. They have the comic book Cobra Trooper gas mask head. It's a weird looking figure and nothing like the slick looking Crimson Guards he produced.

Are there any other people either doing stuff or planning stuff like the Black Major did with the O-Ring Joes?

3) Has anyone started a Kickstarter type campaign for vintage O-ring Joes? Is it even allowed/tolerated by Hasbro?[/color]
- The closest figure made was that of the female Shooter by Falcone here.

Is that of the same production quality as what the Black Major did? Is it still available via a website?

I see a few Kickstarters for other types of figures. You seem quite clued up on these things. In your opinion is the demand simply not there to bring back O-Ring Joes, be it as a JoeCanuck type exclusive (from what I remember), a Kickstarter venture or some other type of outfit doing it? I would pay good money to sponsor something like that.

5) Did anyone try to get those "lost" designs from the ill fated 1995 range and bring them back (e.g. cast the parts and use legs or other parts from existing Joes to make a whole figure)?[/color]
- http://brokenarrowtoys.com
- LobsterOverlord here was the first, but the only source that I know of is Alyosha (above link)

I can't access FB at this time. How long has the Broken Arrow website been down? Has LobsterOverlord stopped?

- Yep. Hasbro has moved on.

- They are compatible with the new figures. Also, making molds isn't as big as a deal as it once was.

If making molds isn't as big of a deal as it used to be can another outfit do something with the O-Ring line?

I remember FunSkool producing a big line of Joes but had inferior quality (plastic used and paint finishing I think). At least they had a big line of original Joe products. Are all the overseas companies like FunSkool, the South American outfit, Asia and Europe the same quality? I don't mind buying other types of Joes as long as they are the same quality. I think the Argentina Joes were very brittle but I've heard good things about the Japanese Joes.

It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:57 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])