Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//MEGA CONSTRUX CLAYFACE PG. 28//
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm 

Joker will be the first Dianaut-sized villain for Bats... I'm just looking for the perfect, in-scale head. Combing my fodder, but I think I might need to buy fodder to do it right...

UPDATE:

Alright, after a quick glance online, I think I found something that could work, if kitbashed together with Dianaut parts to keep Joker super-poseable.

Maybe he'll be the first figure from Wave 2... kinda like the sound of that...

Last edited by Doctor Robert Strange on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:03 pm 

Very nice!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:36 pm 

clayface is the shi.......

seriously though he is the most production looking figure so far in your tiny gotham set so far. I mean that in the very best way, like I can't see the work you did, all I see is a great little figure.

have you watched the tv show gotham? it is one of the only shows my wife and I get into. not being a comic fan, also not a fan of modern bat movies, I can really see the show with fresh eyes. it almost fits perfect with 89 batman and sets up so many future foes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 pm 

Serpentor II wrote:
Very nice!

2DARK2C wrote:
clayface is the shi.......

seriously though he is the most production looking figure so far in your tiny gotham set so far. I mean that in the very best way, like I can't see the work you did, all I see is a great little figure.

have you watched the tv show gotham? it is one of the only shows my wife and I get into. not being a comic fan, also not a fan of modern bat movies, I can really see the show with fresh eyes. it almost fits perfect with 89 batman and sets up so many future foes.

THANK YOU, DUDES!!

I was just aspiring to bear even a slight resemblance to the amazing Four Horsemen 6" scale Clayface figure, which is, hands-down, the best representation of the character still. It's a bummer about the issue a lot of collectors have with the arms on their figures. The road to Hell was paved with good intentions, as they say.

Watched Gotham for a bit, but it just got way too over-the-top and campy for my tastes. The worst thing to happen to it was the Netflix Daredevil show. Always wondered why no network ever jumped on a Gotham Central show... cops AND capes? Seems like a total duh.

As predicted, Killer Croc has been a real pain in the ass. I'm hoping I'll finally be done with the piece tonight, so I can shoot it sometime this week. Maybe I should begin to construct the backdrop...

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//ROBOTMAN: SUPPORT ANDROID//
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:18 pm 

ROBOTMAN: SUPPORT ANDROID

An important advancement taken from the GI: JOE project was that Dianauts and other humanoid species work better with AI that looks like they do. Teamwork, trust, even empathy all increased when human faces were added to even the most basic mechanical bodies.

With this data, Dianaut scientists & engineers went to work and created what they dubbed ROBOTMAN: The next generation of support androids.

ROBOTMAN is a Megabloks Astronaut with a 2" plastic astronaut head and a reproduction B.A.T. chest sticker photocopied from my original '86 figure from my collection.

Using the exact same base materials, I made 2DARK2C a custom in a different colorway. I couldn't decide on the gray & orange or gunmetal & metallic red, so I made both. I liked the gunmetal & red so much that I'll probably end up making one for myself.

In the meantime, I really like this little dude.

"Dianaut Operations Squad: Going where others won't to do jobs others can't!"

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//ROBOTMAN: SUPPORT ANDROID PG 29//
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:59 pm 

really great back story! I like my little red one a lot. i'd love to see one in decepticon purple :)

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//MEGA CONSTRUX KILLER CROC//
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:27 pm 

KILLER CROC

Much like Clayface, I didn't meet Killer Croc until his appearance on Batman: The Animated Series. Despite his more humanoid design, I was intrigued by the concept and started researching on my own and really fell in love with the more monstrous version of the character.

By the 1990s, the wrestler with bad skin had transformed into a hulking, terrifying take on the "alligators in the sewer" urban legend, and he's been a favorite subject of my customs ever since.

I've attempted Killer Croc a few times, but it's only been recently that I've been truly pleased with the results. I made a 1:18 Croc for Gotham's Most Wanted (alright in retrospect, but still not happy then), and another to go with my Mega Bloks Batman (never photographed).

While finishing Dianaut Batman, Killer Croc made the short list of rogues to build. I had a spare large muscular Mega Construx chest that had been damaged during a failed custom project. It would no longer work for what I needed, but could be salvaged for Croc. If it could be, I decided it would be the next piece after Freeze and Clayface.

Mega Construx are the perfect base for characters like Croc, and that's what he is, mainly.

-Mega Construx TMNT2 movie torso & arms
-Mega Construx Call of Duty WW2 waist & legs
-Killer Croc PVC figurine lower legs
-Sabretooth minifigure hands
-Head from Warhammer fodder bin

Had trouble finding the Croc PVC figure I was going to use initially, so I used other pieces... which looked like crap. As fate would have it, I ended up finding the PVC while getting trade stuff together for 2DARK2C. Killer Croc also has a tail, but I completely blanked on where it's from.

Aside from tracking down fodder I knew I had, the other obstacle was painting Croc's chest... I'd get the perfect shade down, then ruin it with washes :-/

Croc completes the trilogy of Batman villains for this round, but I'm already hard at work on the next three.

Wait 'til you get a load of the next one...

Post subject: Re: //STRANGELABS//MEGACONSTRUX KILLER CROC PG 29//
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm 
Hardest screen name to real life match-up on the board.

Another good one! "I hit him with a rock!" "..." "It was a really big rock!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:10 pm 

Very cool! I love the "depth" of color that you get on these little dudes!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:31 pm 

another great tiny figure :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm 

Serpentor II wrote:
Very cool! I love the "depth" of color that you get on these little dudes!

Thank you, dude! Croc got extra paint love because I kept f___ing up on the chest, hahaha. Long as I've been doing this, it only feels like I'm getting a handle on balancing paints, inks, and drybrushing recently. Still learning with every build.

MarkM wrote:
Another good one! "I hit him with a rock!" "..." "It was a really big rock!"

2DARK2C wrote:
another great tiny figure :)

Thanks, gents!

Can't do the big boy rogues without Croc! Man, I'd love to see him used properly in a Batman movie. Untapped cinematic gold...

Our next stand-up is a real clown...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 pm 

I just watched suicide squad last night. you killer croc is much better than the movie version!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:14 pm 

Watched it last weekend on HBO. Thought it was a lot of fun and liked it much more than I thought I would, actually, though Leto does nothing for me as The Joker. If Joker does appear in the upcoming Batman movie, I hope it's a scene where the real, true Joker kills Leto's imposter in front of his crew.

Loved Croc's make-up (shame it's covered up most of the film), and it worked as a more human version of the character, but I still prefer my Croc on the monstrous side...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:53 pm 

the character on gothom I suspect will be the joker is a great actor for it. the squad guy was too "thuggy" :)

Post subject: //STRANGELABS//NJC #95 ENTRY VON FRANKENSTEIN PG 29//
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:10 pm 

VON FRANKENSTEIN

So, when the Penny Dreadful NJC was announced, I got psyched, because I thought it would be fun to go a little Elsewords with the challenge and make a Victorian-era Hellboy, or revisit a concept I had for a team of superheroes from that era. Alas, not meant to be. Hellboy and the Victorian heroes will be revisited later.

Instead, I decided to run with the idea of a monster-hunting monster and go with Frankenstein's Monster. I'd never made one in this scale before, and it had been a while since my 1:18 attempt.

Von Frankenstein is almost all Mega Construx:

-MC Call of Duty belt, waist, legs
-MC TMNT Foot Soldier torso
-MC TMNT Don arms
-Head from PVC caveman figurine
-Hands from fodder bin

...He's a real Frankenstein-ing of parts, you could say. [groan]

The torso was the perfect justification for being a packrat with parts, even damaged ones. The chest had been scarred by a blade. Though I thought I'd never find a project to use it, I held onto it. Later I added the incision in the center and the stitches, which are made from shortened sewing pins.

...And now more rambling!

...But we'll call it "Backstory!"

VON FRANKENSTEIN

Long-believed dead, Frankenstein's greatest creation lived in hiding for years; secluding himself in the Doctor's secret laboratory and study, voraciously reading and educating himself... in previous lives, he had been deemed a criminal and malcontent, then a monster. Now that he could decide his own fate, he would lead a peaceful life, devoted to meditation, study, and contemplation. Filled with regret, he vowed not to use violence unless it was to defend himself or those he cared about. Embracing his maker and his fate, he dubbed himself Von Frankenstein.

After decades alone, Von Frankenstein eventually found love, companionship, and friendship. An engaging speaker and entertainer he was invited to a number of parties and social gatherings. Invited at first because of his freakish status (not unlike the poor soul John Merrick), he charmed and dazzled Victorian Europe, then came to rub elbows with promoter PT Barnum. Legend has it that Barnum signed the creature on the night they met, promising "More fame and riches than you or I could ever envision! You'll be a sensation!"

A sensation he was. Speaking about his seemingly many lives, venues were packed night after night.

But he felt empty. His life had gone from pursuit of knowledge and educating to a tabloid sensation. All the papers featured headlines about him or the horrible, mysterious killings and violent acts happening throughout Europe. He could no longer sit idly by.

Leaving fame and fortune behind, Von Frankenstein decided to investigate and put a stop to them once and for all.

Now a world-famous monster hunter, adventurer, and scientist, Von Frankenstein has committed to an immortality of thwarting the forces of evil...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])