Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Clear coating figures
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:56 am 

I generally just paint my stuff and its solid, but have recently run into a few customs I did that needed some repair.

And it makes me think I should start clear coating figures I paint.

Any suggestions on brand?

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Clear coating figures
PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:05 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

I use Testors Dullcote.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:09 am 
Plug
Plug

Dullcote or what’s left of my Krylon Fusion clear for vehicles or full figures.

For just friction spots or decals, I brush on Modge Podge or Dura Clear Ultra Matte. I remember one project being such a pain I poured sealer right into the paint jar to give it more hold.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:01 pm 

Good deal!

Custom Rule #1: Honor the spirit of the character
Custom Rule #2: I'm not that great a customizer so keep it as simple as possible

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:36 pm 

I've finally taken the plunge and have started putting together some o-ring style customs that will require painting the joints.

I've sanded down the necessary areas to avoid paintrub such as the knees, hips, and shoulders (I've yet to try this on elbows though). I know I need to use a sealer to protect the paint and I'm not sure what to use. I have matte mod podge, and I have done some tests with it on some junk parts and it seems to work pretty well, but I've read that mod podge can yellow over time and I'm worried it might ruin my work. I also have dura clear satin varnish which I still need to test, and I've never tried dullcote since I've yet to find any locally. Any advice?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:07 pm 

I've been using matte and gloss krylon clear. I never cared for it in the past, but I used the gloss on my cobra la stuff with good success (except for grabbing an old can that clouded my vehicle). always shake it good, and test spray it on something.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:06 am 

Nail Polish clear coat. Hands down the most convenient and effective. Even the cheap dollar store stuff works well. I discovered Sally Hansens (?) a lifetime ago when i sealed a Stalker ARAH custom. Fack did it work well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:15 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Scarrviper wrote:
I've finally taken the plunge and have started putting together some o-ring style customs that will require painting the joints.

I've sanded down the necessary areas to avoid paintrub such as the knees, hips, and shoulders (I've yet to try this on elbows though). I know I need to use a sealer to protect the paint and I'm not sure what to use. I have matte mod podge, and I have done some tests with it on some junk parts and it seems to work pretty well, but I've read that mod podge can yellow over time and I'm worried it might ruin my work. I also have dura clear satin varnish which I still need to test, and I've never tried dullcote since I've yet to find any locally. Any advice?

Cool, you´re back Scarrviper! :like:
I always use(d) Testor's Dullcote, it never yellowed over time.
As for the joints: sanding and sealing are not a guarantee that your custom will be 100% free of paint rub. The knees and shoulders are not a problem, but the elbows are the hardest part.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:49 am 

Tim 121RVC wrote:
Scarrviper wrote:

Cool, you´re back Scarrviper! :like:
I always use(d) Testor's Dullcote, it never yellowed over time.
As for the joints: sanding and sealing are not a guarantee that your custom will be 100% free of paint rub. The knees and shoulders are not a problem, but the elbows are the hardest part.

How much does dullcote affect the finish? I'm using satin paints, so they are not completely flat. I figured elbows would be the worst. I don't think knees will ever be much of an issue, it's more the hips and shoulders I"m concerned about with paint rub. I know it's never 100% guaranteed that a custom will be chip or rub proof, I just want to minimize it as much as I can so all the work I do won't be in vain. Trust me I can't wait to finish these customs I have in the works, right now their on hold until I get this sealer issue solved.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])