Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: GI Joe: Rebooted (Chief-style)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:13 pm 

Sweet reboot.
Awesome customs.
Long time viewer, first time poster.
I feel the same way you do, the Joes are cool but need to tap into realworld rules.
In my Joe-verse they are a PMC with global contracts and operate in the deep in the black.
Home and abroad no holds barred.

Black-Ops
Recon
Extraction
"Pantheon Securities Inc., 'Your contractor of choice. . . No task too big, no task too small'. . . "

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:23 pm 
Donor
Donor

Yaeah! Thanks for posting these Chief! I'm really liking that Torpedo, perfect land update for a highly underrated character.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:02 pm 
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges
Special Limited Edition Co-Host / Membership Has Its Privileges

Another big winner. I was lucky enough to peek at most of them before, but I remain impressed. My favorites are probably Hawk and Torpedo. Hawk because that's totally how I would see a former Lt. Col. dressing as he commanded a non-military unit like this. I could honestly see Flint working really well with that coat look also, like maybe that torso and the legs like you have on him now as an alternate coat wearing figure. That takes nothing away from this Flint, it's more about how much I like the look of Hawk.

Torpedo - you're right, he was written as a bad ass, and that's easy to forget when you have to think about him as someone who only gets to look normal when he's underwater. lol. I actually like that combo of parts a lot as a sci-fi look too, which I admit is one reason I dig this one (to steal). I think you should make a dive suit version to match though, using this same head. If Duke will at some point show up as a military liasson, I think Torpedo should serve in that role with your adventure team, and be a fed who goes on certain AT contracted missions.

Wondering - your AT has such sweet vehicles - got any in store for this joe unit (whatever they end up being called)? With a small team like this, two RHINOs would do the trick? Or maybe one of those True Heroes flatbed rocket haulers, with a command center on the trailer instead of the rockets.

For Cobra, the Commander really does look cool that way. It's a fresh take, yet still distinctive. Destro rocks, and I esp. like his unmasked look. And that version of Major Blood has really grown on me since we last talked.

Again, can't wait for tomorrow.

Mysterious Stranger wrote:
You sir are the definition of a Renaissance Nerd... you do it all so damn well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:11 pm 
Strong Fat Tongue

Chief is killing it during the celebration. I really dig that Hawk. It has a POC vibe to it, but it's still fresh and hard ass enough. While I do enjoy Major Bludd with the robot arm, yours is more realistic (as is most of your "verse") and very cool.

Nice work all around.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:12 pm 

Dan, yep I remember when they poisoned alot of people...scary for sure, but about the figures, for roadblock you could use hiss drivers lowers for him, they blend well with the size

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm 

Thanks, everyone -- and welcome aboard, Blakwulf! :D

Dennis - I did forget to mention my trimmed-down motor pool - thanks for reminding me. Here's what's left for these guys to play with:

ROCC
RHINO (my second, blue RHINO has been re-purposed - you'll see why tomorrow.... :shifty: )
PoC VAMP
Night Ops Hummer
PoC Ghost Hawk
A couple of helos (Blackhawk, Little Bird, JvC/Spytroops Night attack Chopper)
And a handful of RAM bikes.

I was gonna do a watercraft or two, but again - doesn't really fit in with this team so much (I do have the newest CORPS! hovercraft at the ready, though) - - so that means that my Night Force Moray is free to take a load of yellow paint and some Adventure Team stickers ;)

DJ - I'm probably going to take another swipe at the 'Noks eventually - since I did enjoy them as a kid. But the Oktober Guard never held any appeal for me, so there's no reason to clutter the collection that I'm trying to trim down with figures I have no use for.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 pm 

I agree about your philosophy/ ethos re the Joe team.

I prefer to see a pared down, more SF team so Im really glad to see it here.

Initially I was going to post that Id prefer to see both Hawk and Flint in more military drab. However, on reflection, both would be more likely to fulfil an admin role so their garb is spot on.

On the Cobra side- Bludd is superb. And I like the more realistic presentation.

As always, your paints are top notch and look production.

However, my one major critique is Id like to see far more pics of the individuals, especially Torpedo.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:44 pm 

Thanks Chief,
Also you hit on a really big issue I'm having right now, do I or don't I gut my RHINO for space/flexibility.
I really love it in its original form but really want to re-boot it too.
Anybody know where a fella can find a guide on disassembing it? (Video or pics is cool)
I think if I see it in progress it might help me make the leap.

Black-Ops
Recon
Extraction
"Pantheon Securities Inc., 'Your contractor of choice. . . No task too big, no task too small'. . . "

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:50 pm 

Blakwulf wrote:
Anybody know where a fella can find a guide on disassembing it? (Video or pics is cool)
I think if I see it in progress it might help me make the leap.

I think AdrienVeidt gutted/modded his RHINO a few years back to make it more like an APC. Couldn't find it here on the site, though (might have been on the old site before we moved.)

But he could probably give you some decent insight on it.

For me, leaving it as-is works wonders for space (because it's two - count 'em TWO vehicles in one! :P )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:51 am 

I like the approach you took with these figures. It sounds like you and I were at the same impasse in trying to reconcile our affection for some aspects of the Joe concept with everything we've learned as adults. I really like the idea of them being under the auspices of DHS; that certainly solves the whole jurisdictional problem. And, of course, there's some fine customizing work to enjoy, too. My personal favorites are Flint (not only would I buy that figure, but he would instantly become one of my favorite toys) and Stalker, but there isn't a bad one in the bunch. It's amazing how much of a difference that green paint on Beachhead makes: I already like that figure, but you really made him shine. I also like your take on Major Bludd: that knife might seem like a relatively insignificant detail, but it adds a whole new layer of character to him; after seeing that, I picture your Bludd presiding over all kinds of awful deeds in war-torn third-world countries.

Nice work on all of 'em, sir. I'm hoping to see some more down the road.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:01 am 

Man those look great with you and Sgartz remaking joes looks like other will hop on the reboot train. :tr1er:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:39 pm 
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman
Ripe with kibble / Bojack Strobman

this thread would be so much better if it had pictures in it.

hi chief.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:16 pm 

just now getting to 2011? so you will get to my critique threds in like 15-20 yrs :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])