Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: Embrace Randomness Group Project reveal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
Plug
Plug

Not a ton of entries for this project, but I have to admit, I was intimidated by it myself. Take a look and then come back here and let them all know what you think.
http://www.joecustoms.com/projects/proj ... randomness

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Embrace Randomness Group Project reveal
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
Plug
Plug

Raptor, while the individual customs are ok, I am super impressed with the overall team. You kept a color scheme that worked. I especially liked how the stripes on Mike Power came out and the use of the new sculpt Deep Six arms was great too.

Vanishing Point, you need to tell me more about this thermochromic pigment you used.Is that what I'm seeing on the shoulders and thighs? How was it to work with? Did it work out the way you hoped it would?

Oreo Builder, only you could take a somewhat been there, done that concept and make it interesting. Steel Brigade? No problem. All dark colors? No problem. And those pictures are gorgeous.

Tim 121RVC, this one was my favorite. You manage to take some weird parts and do something incredible with them. He's oozing so much character. I see that guy on the shelves and you know I'm picking him up. Fantastic job.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:57 pm 

I mixed the pigment with a clear.medium and it turned out milky pink when exposed to hot water.

I'm still looking for other tutorials on the pigment. I got it off ebay from a nail salon supplier

I also got a photochromic blue to try and recreate the zartan effect

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:59 pm 

The texture is still very pasty
Next
I was going to mix it with another color to see the effects

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:11 pm 

oh wow! the grim viper is an outstanding use of parts. the modded stalker torso is !very slick!

covert expedition platoon has a great color scheme! that mustard yellow really sets them apart. all around solid oldschool builds with a modern vibe too! great job.

s6 icecream soldier is a solid figure. the paint work itself is interesting, but i'm very interested in the color change ability.

sea command steel brigade......YES.....the only thing that would make this figure better would be a jet ski :) I like the hatchet and axe for boarding craft and cutting ropes, and stuff .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:10 am 
DarkJedi'd

Just saw these and am jumping in with comments.

First the team by Raptor. Difficult colors to begin with, but I can actually see this working like the X-Men Blue/Gold outfits, or the SHIELD outfits. Same coloring, each with a different uniform, yet obviously a team. Honestly, it gives off a Tiger Force vibe, of a small elite group of soldiers, without the prerequisite tiger stripes. Tiger simply being the callsign of the task force.

S6 Ice Cream Soldier by Vanishing Point. I gotta admit I'm not a fan of the S6 line, but I can definitely see the passion for the line in every custom you do. I see pics of all the stuff you do and you seem do pull together the right parts to make a character look exactly like they are supposed to as a S6 character.

Sea Steel Brigade by OreoBuilder. First thing I thought was that was the figure that should have come in the Docks vehicle set instead of Flint-like this was made for that set. Paint apps tight, great recipe. Looks perfect.

Grim-Viper by Tim 121RVC. First of all, I am presently surprised how awesome the Dhalsim head looks painted differently. The paint apps are awesome and the entire screams 'Dreadnok' to me. He looks like some character right out of the 80s cartoon.

I just need it to actually be 6"
Lance Sputnik wrote:
This is the sort of story I get wood off of.
pluv wrote:
I'm getting customs blue balls just looking at them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm 

Ics was admittedly just an excuse to test the pigment. I think if i had used a more contrasting color scheme it would show better. I was doing it if he was one of the real american hero 95-97 rehashes.

By one tutorial. It is designed to go dry directly on an adhesive then have a veneer top coat...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm 

Just catching up.

Covert Expedition Platoon by Raptor:
Great looking team. I really enjoy the cohesive look. The yellow/black color combo works well and they look like something that Hasbra may have released back in the day. The fact that you also pulled the parts at random is a very fun addition to the project.

Ice Cream Soldier by Vanishing Point:
I love the thermochromic paint idea. It make ICS fit right in with the rest of the Eco-warriors and now that you mentioned it, including him in that sub team makes perfect sense.

Grim-Viper by Tim 121RVC:
My favorite from the project. He makes a great Dreadnok. The color distribution is perfect and the execution is flawless.

OB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 pm 
RPG Spin Master
RPG Spin Master

Aw. I was hoping for more entries - but I appreciate everyone that participated!

These guys look better because of the cheerleader effect. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerleader_effect My skills have really atrophied in the time I was away. I still enjoy building teams, but my painting skills have just dropped off. The yellow didn't work well, and I tried to cover it up with the wash... It only sorta worked.

Thermochromic paint is a pretty awesome addition to the toolchest. I'm looking forward to the tutorial.

Sea Command Steel Brigade Soldier by Oreo Builder
You went all out to hit every part of the description, and made it work. I could totally see this guy on the shelves. I'm not sure that the pictures do justice to the complexity of the grey mix on the legs, but you can sort of see it in the first picture. Extra points for the flames in the picture to justify the fire axe.

Grim-Viper by Tim 121RVC:
That is an amazing use of parts, and an exactingly perfect paint application. It is filled with character. The obscurity of the parts and skin color swap make the entire thing look like far more than the sum of it's parts. (I'm also curious to know why you ended up swapping out the waist from your original parts.) You win the project. :-)

- R

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:44 pm 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

I like the use of washes here, although the outcome may not be exactly how you imagened it before. Knockdown is my favorite of the bunch.

Pretty menacing looking guy for an Ice Cream Soldier, but I mean that in a good way! Cool head, nicely painted. Somehow makes me think of Overkill.

Sea Command Steel Brigade Soldier by Oreo Builder
With all the greys and the dark look, this makes a perfect black ops Steel Brigade. I know you had to assign him for sea command, but I think he's very inspiring as Black Ops or Night Force.
Great presentation of this custom too. Fits right in on the TTBP.

Grim-Viper by me:
Thanks for all the comments!
@Raptor: I switched the waists because the other one didn't have have as much space for the legs as this one. Provides less/none paint rub.

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:37 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])