Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:51 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Post subject: Air Superiority Group Project is up
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:50 am 
Plug
Plug

I think we got a good mix in here, in that there should be something in here that each of you will gravitate towards. That is a pretty challenging feat to accomplish considering how diverse the hobby is right now. Take a look and then come back here and let the group know what you think of their work.
http://www.joecustoms.com/projects/proj ... uperiority

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Air Superiority Group Project is up
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:20 pm 

lots of great stuff!

tim your cobra lightning is a masterpiece ! seamless!

pluv the def drone is probably my favorite concept of this gp! I will be making one of these at some point :) only thing that could be better is actual flight. I know tiny drones are out there, finding the working mini gun will be the tough part!

freestyle is a really nice use of parts!

that paint work on glider is just awesome! I really would love a tutorial on it! that on top of the sculpt/cast pieces make this my favorite figure of the gp...or year....

chrome rattler..yes..yes...flawless!! .should get some outside pics for effect!

I like the mini skystriker better than the og one! great lines and great paint work to highlight it!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:54 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Wadjet: Original idea, making an ultralight aircraft for this GP. One could expect planes, helicopters and drones, but this one does fit the theme perfectly too! Great combination of all the different parts. The only crit I have is the chromed cannon being too shiny compared to the rest of the craft. Other than that I like it a lot. I can see a bunch of these appearing in the cartoon, invading a G.I.Joe camp along with some Air Commando Gliders, led by Firefly.

Raven: Interesting fusion of the two bodies, but it came out very well.

DEF Drone: The long range mic, rotor- and the camera system are my favorite parts of this custom. Made from different small (household) items which you wouldn't recognise, or at least not immediately. That proves how well you integrated/customised them in the drone!

Freestyle: Nice to see a different female head besides the usual ones. You've did some cool modifications on the torso. I hope you get to make that personalised jet for her one day, I'm curious for what it would look like.

Glider: What's not to like about this guy? Very smooth paintjob. I love all the gear, this is exactly what a paratrooper should take with him when he's jumping off a plane. The Strato Viper head looks good on him, I bet if you'd dremel it carefully it would even fit on Undertow's head. Is the camo scheme inspired by some sort of mission/environment?

Sky Rattler: You repainted this using those liquid chrome pens, right? That's quite a job, but in the end it really paid off: awesome addition for the Sky Patrol!

Sabrewulf: I like the body parts, but I would've painted some of them in chrome as well to make it fit the team better. (that's a personal preference, I didn't like the colours on Airwave, Altitude and Drop Zone from the original SP team either)

Skystriker: You did panel lining all over this plane, right? I'm impressed by that, looks very cartoony.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:12 pm 

Thank you guys for the compliment. The camo isn't inspired by anything actually... I first went for a desert look, painting the Africa Brown (light) and Dark Earth Brown (dark), but I thought it was too boring. I painted the black over the Africa Brown (similar to my Shadow Tracker...) and after that some Brown Olive (green) over the Dark Earth. The contrast between the two brown line makes it look the pattern illuminates irl. No planning up front, just let the brushes do the work and see what I ended up with...

I thought of dremeling the helmet out, but for the photo's of the GP I didn't want to risk breaking it. Perhaps I will try it later...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 11:09 am 
Plug
Plug

Cobra Lightning by Tim 121RVC: I thought mine were going to be my favorite from thsi project because narcissist, but the paint job on this was so clean it blew me away. If this was on the shelves I'd buy it without hestitation.

Wadjet and Raven by me: I forgot to give props to notpicard for suggesting styrofoam plates for a glider one time. Styrofoam glue and 100% humidity do not get along. I was really happy wiht the engineering on this, but I eventually had to go with styrene and hotglue with Loctite gel over it to get it all to stay together. I agree about the chrome gun sticking out, but when it came time to paint it, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Must be stolen Sky Patrol technology. :shifty: Raven wasn't originally intended to be the pilot, but then I couldn't unsee her as the pilot while doing test fittings.

DEF Drone by me again: I dropped this thing from a shelf 4 feet up about 8 times while trying to take these pictures. Other than the camera popping out a couple of times and the rotor slipping down once, it held together. It has a hole on the bottom where the Matchbox helocipotr rotor blades were held on, but whatever I did while testing it with that figure stand I couldn't duplicate while taking the actual pictures. "Alright, that should ho- *CRASH* SON OF A... Let me just turn this her- *CRASH* "LASER BLAST LASER BLASTITY MOTHER LASER BLASTER PIECE OF LASER BLAST!"

Freestyle by night force cynic: I really like the pen on her torso. :D

Glider by StevieSNLD: The camo on this is superb. This was the first entry we received so I've gone back a few times just to look at it. Great use of parts. Good character write up too.

Sky Rattler and Sabrewulf by Owner of a lonely B.A.T.: The Rattler looks amazing in chrome. Sabrewulf works, simple but effective.

Skystriker classic by AntonioDR: I have pased up that jet so many times because I thought it looked too cartoony and out of proportion. You proved me both right and wrong in that regard. The scale is off, but a perfectly executed paint job can make it shine. Fantastic!

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:30 pm 
General Pittance Contributor
General Pittance Contributor

Cobra Lightning - It's gorgeous, that looks professional.

Wadjet - this looks like it belongs in an issue of the Special Missions comic. Raven's a bad ass and the grey really makes her even cooler.

** (I thought there'd be more Cobra here because the storyline, interesting results)

DEF Drone - I wish I had the vision and patience to scratch build like this, nice

Freestyle - meh

Glider - not what I expected at all, good surprise. Everything about this custom is excellent: the gear is abundant while blending in with even the biggest gear loads in the RAH line (especially 1990).

Sky Rattler - well, I'm impressed by the ridiculous amount of work this took with a chrome pen

Skystriker classic - my favorite custom of a Skystriker EVER and it didn't even start as one. This perfectly realizes the Sunbow aesthetics!

pluv wrote:
Freestyle by night force cynic: I really like the pen on her torso. :D

:shifty: :-P

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:15 am 

Appreciate the feedback, all! Sadly, the main idea I had for the project did not come together until today - though the Skystriker classic turned out to be a fun little custom, the full body paint job was a bit of a tricky business and actually had to be redone a couple of times.

My compliments to all - a lot of hard work and thought has clearly gone into each entry, and I wish all my ideas had come together in time!

I've just submitted the main idea I had for the group project up - the Cobrastickers and canopy finally arrived, hope you guys like it when it gets posted!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:08 pm 
Plug
Plug

AntonioDR wrote:
Appreciate the feedback, all! Sadly, the main idea I had for the project did not come together until today - though the Skystriker classic turned out to be a fun little custom, the full body paint job was a bit of a tricky business and actually had to be redone a couple of times.

My compliments to all - a lot of hard work and thought has clearly gone into each entry, and I wish all my ideas had come together in time!

I've just submitted the main idea I had for the group project up - the Cobrastickers and canopy finally arrived, hope you guys like it when it gets posted!
That will go up tomorrow with the latest additions to the gallery.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

I just really love that Skystriker.

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 6:51 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])