Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Hiya Toys GI Joe 3.75” figures
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 10:35 am 
Donor
Donor

I dig it...but would dig it more if these were actually available in the US...

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:40 am 

Some quick phone pics:

Card is the exact same size as Retro.

Internal joints, metal rivets.

Head and neck are a single piece, dumbbell joint.

Scabbard connects either to backpack side or directly to back.

Silencer has a hole.

Hip balls are hinged to swing up and down.

More of those internal hinges.

This flops around.

This is very secure, bumps on the inside hold onto the head.

Scabbards held by clip.

Clip can either peg onto quiver or directly onto back.

Tommy's peg hole is not centered.

This can actually shoot the arrow a few inches.

Pointy. Mmmaybe that wasn't supposed to come off.

MTF shemagh is a perfect fit!

Better photos and writeup to follow. Meanwhile I'll try to answer your questions about the figures.

- JM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:49 am 

Oh wow - those are nicer than I expected. Still hate the Hiya wrist joints, though - hopefully they hold better this time.

Any chance of some side-by-side pics with Joes or (more importantly for me, anyway) MTF figs? Would love to see how they measure up size-wise. I've found the other Hiya humans to be a little on the short side.

Great stuff - thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:01 am 

Chief wrote:
Oh wow - those are nicer than I expected. Still hate the Hiya wrist joints, though - hopefully they hold better this time.

Any chance of some side-by-side pics with Joes or (more importantly for me, anyway) MTF figs? Would love to see how they measure up size-wise. I've found the other Hiya humans to be a little on the short side.

Great stuff - thanks for sharing!

The wrist joints are still the same shallow ball and sockets like on the Predators and Aliens.

Comparison photos tomorow.

- JM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:05 am 

So as promised, here are better photos of Snake Eyes. We all know the design is based on the Operation:Blackout game model and was also used for the Classified figure. I do not have the Classified Snake Eyes (or any other Classified figures, for that matter) but I can tell from the photos, the proportions are different even if they were most likely based on the same 3D model.

The Hiya figures use a unique internal double-hinged, metal rivetted elbow and knee joint that also pegs into the upper arm/thigh and and the lower arm/leg. The hip balls also have an up and down hinge that allows the hip ball to be moved downward to allow for a greater range of forward flexion of the leg. This is similar to Master Grade Gundam hip engineering for those familiar.

Snake Eyes comes with a backpack which also shares the same design as the Classified one but has the peg hole on the left side instead of the right. The peg hole allows the scabbard to peg onto the side of the backpack which gives the same silhouette as the 1985 figure. You can also peg the scabbard directly onto the figure's back.

The grenade bandolier is removable but does not flop around when posing the figure.

Snake Eyes comes with four hands: neutral open left, closed fist left, trigger finger right, sword grip right. Which means, his left hand cannot hold any of his accessories as the open left hand resembles the 2002 GvC Snake Eyes' open left hand.

Aside from the backpack and scabbard, Snake Eyes comes with a sword that fits in the scabbard, an Uzi with removable silencer, an M1911 holsterable on the right thigh, and a knife which can be sheathed on the left thigh. As with all Hiya figures, Snake Eyes comes with a terrain base with two H-clips to connect to other bases.

One thing to note is that the entire figure is painted in varying shades and textures of black. I don't think a single exposed surface on the figure is bare plastic, even the internal joints.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:34 am 

Hiya's second release is Storm Shadow. Again, the figure is based on the Operation: Blackout game model. I believe this was not used for the 6" Classified figures but instead on the Titan figures.

The biggest difference from the game render is the inclusion of the Yakuza sleeve tattoo on Tommy's left arm, although the promotional art already shows this.

The Hiya figure comes with a removable hood which fits over the head, and a second hood which sits around the neck. The hood that fits over the head has two bumps on the inside which hold onto the sides of the figures head and keep it securely in place. I can't seem to place it flush against the torso; there's always a slight gap. The other hood (down position) on the other hand is loose and just flops around.

Just like Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow also includes four hands: right hand with spread fingers for bow and arrow-pulling, sword-gripping right, sword-gripping left, and neutral open left. At least he can hold both swords at the same time.

The figure also comes with a quiver which contains three removable arrows, and two scabbards which can be clipped together and pegged either directly onto the figure's back, or onto the quiver, which then pegs onto the figure's back. Take note that the peg hole is not centered on Storm Shadow's back... so not entirely interchangeable snap-on, stay-on accessories there.

The two included swords, one long, one short, have different handles, pommels, and guards. Also, they both do not have a sharpened cutting edge. They are just as thick on the back edge as the cutting edge. Strange because Snake Eyes' sword has a cutting edge. Hiya's never had a problem sculpting blades before. Storm Shadow even has very tiny, sharp shuriken on the bandolier. Come to think of it, the Batman-style sword guards on his gauntlets are sculpted lying flat against the arms, not sticking out.

Like Snake Eyes, the entire figure is painted, including the internal joints. The white has very good coverage without being gloppy. No chipping or flaking so far, but I'm still worried about the skin and tattoo.

Last edited by chrysophylax on Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:58 am 

Flint is revealed
https://www.instagram.com/p/CuqXGrduh9L/?img_index=1

I'm not a fan of this version

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 1:28 am 

So far I haven't really liked any of them, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:32 pm 

chrysophylax wrote:
So as promised, here are better photos of Snake Eyes.

Perfect! Thanks!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:38 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:00 am 

So they’re just rehashing the Classified designs in 1/18 scale. And the ouroboros is complete.

Honestly these don’t look too bad. And now Hiya is making Abrams Trek figures. Might pick up a few…

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:33 am 

Still not impressed at all with these, but she is better than the others. I'll still stick to the 50th Lady Jaye though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:00 am 

Smalljoes will have some

https://smalljoes.com/cat/HIYA-GI-JOE-E ... i-83.shtml

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])