Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shipping Questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:38 pm 

Let's say that at some point I consider selling some of my larger merchandise. I'm talking things like the Terror-Drome, the Defiant, some of my custom Armor-Bots, large Joe planes, that sort of thing. I'm not saying I AM going to sell them, but... :-/ :-(

Here's my quandary. I've done enough shipping of good through sales on Amazon and eBay to have a good idea of how to ship most stuff. I package things well and they get through in good condition through the United States Postal Service. But I am NOT used to dealing on this level.

Things like this have three things against them as far as shipping is concerned. They're big, they're heavy, and they're fragile.

In the first place, I am not convinced of my ability to safely package something like the Terror Drome, the Defiant, or even one of the Armor-Bots on my own. I don't know where you'd get a box big enough, and I'm not sure basic single-walled corrugated would really be sufficient regardless of how many styrofoam peanuts I threw into it.

Secondly, I'm not sure something like this would really be appropriate through the USPS. I mean, the Defiant weighs somewhere around fifty pounds!

Other shipping services might work, but I'm not really familiar with them, and I'd probably want to use a full packaging service, all of which would be expensive, and I'd have to pass that on to the buyer, which would likely make selling a bit more difficult.

Thoughts, anyone? I'm hoping it doesn't come to this, but if it does, I'd like a better idea of how to go about it.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Shipping Questions
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:05 pm 

I'd consider selling them for local pick up only before trying to pack them up and ship them out. Even with the best packing job and elite white glove delivery things can get broken in transit. You're talking about 25-30 year old plastic and I don't care how tough they made things "back in the day" that stuff gets brittle with age.

If you do go with a packaging service I'd look at either FedEx Kinko's or the UPS Store. Both do a full on packing and shipping service but its at a price most might not want to pay. That's probably your best bet though if you want to avoid the USPS (and I can't blame you on that with the big expensive stuff).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:22 pm 

I hope it doesn't come to that for you. If it does I would suggest trying to sell them locally first. At a toy show or craigslist kijji whatever. I looked into buying a defiant over the Internet and it was going to cost over $200 to ship. When you tack on 2/3 of what you were willing to pay for an item to ship it will turn alot of people off.

TFK
My current wants: http://www.joecustoms.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22017

My Stuff for trade: http://s611.photobucket.com/tradestuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 pm 

Yeah, I've never had a lot of luck with Craigslist on much of anything. Anytime I've tried to find work it's been a scam. The one time I tried to sell something the potential buyer wanted me to cut the price in half because he had to drive in from fifty miles away (this is my problem HOW, exactly?)

My only concern is I'm not sure there's enough of a decent local collectors' base to sell these items. Obviously I'm hoping it doesn't come to this at all, but I'm wondering also if there's any way to calculate potential shipping costs in advance. I do have a FedEx Office and a UPS Store both within walking distance of me (cargo not included).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:14 am 
Plays a cop
Plays a cop

Insure, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:33 am 

Phoenix is a pretty metropolitan place right? Was there ever a Joe collectors group there, or perhaps a toy show circuit? I'd go to a toy show, get a booth, and populate it with everything I could bear to let go of, but price it at what I would need to let go of it.

How it would go in my mind is:

"Why is this Defiant $600?"
"Because I like it a lot."
"Ok, here's the money."
"Sigh. OK."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:45 pm 

I got mobile command center mailed to me from a friend and it was cracked and busted when it got to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:24 pm 

Macrossmaster wrote:
Phoenix is a pretty metropolitan place right? Was there ever a Joe collectors group there, or perhaps a toy show circuit? I'd go to a toy show, get a booth, and populate it with everything I could bear to let go of, but price it at what I would need to let go of it.

How it would go in my mind is:

"Why is this Defiant $600?"
"Because I like it a lot."
"Ok, here's the money."
"Sigh. OK."

I'm in Tucson, not Phoenix. And Tucson is nowhere near as metropolitan. We get one toy show here, but it's an annual show, and it's not until next March, which in this instance would really be too late to do me much good.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm 
Snake Staked

UPS has a shipping calculator on their website that can give you a rough estimate. I put in information to ship a 50lb package from my city to Vegas and the cheapest option UPS ground which cost 70.58. The most expensive was Next Day Air early AM which was 355.77. I imagine FedEx has something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:50 pm 
Cool after molding
Cool after molding

Large items like the Defiant and Terror Drome will end up costing a fortune if shipped via USPS... I've found UPS is the best cost shipping location for large items.

While the boxes are expensive, U Haul has a variety of sizes that are useful in shipping large items. I believe they list available dimensions on their website.

Consider Parting your large vehicles out. If you can't get top dollar for your item, you may be better off selling the valuable small parts for a premium and then the shells and what not that are Way to expensive to ship can be pawned off on Craigslist or to another local collector.

Check out what I'm able to do in the Commission's section.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm 

I shipped a Flagg several years ago in its box, then double boxed with another box and it was $125. It's more now I bet - and UPS is your only choice for that kinda thing.

I'd trust a Flagg in the mail more than I would a Defiant. If you want a real heart attack, read sometime what the companies say your stuff has to endure: both UPS and USPS indicate that the minimum fall your stuff will take is 4 FEET. There are points in conveyance that they will just drop ANY package 4 feet. Unless it's wrapped like CRAZY, something's breaking, period.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 pm 
Donor
Donor

There is another shipping option. Ship with Greyhound buses. From what I've seen its pretty cheap. www.shipgreyhound.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:07 pm 

I've been in shipping/receiving auto parts for about 10 years. The stuff I've seen UPS and Fed Ex do to packages is incredible. I would not expect a Defiant, Terrordrome, or Flagg to survive a trip with either, unless dissasembled into smaller sub-assemblies, and sent in multiple boxes.That's not going to save anyone any money, either, but it's probably safer. When packing fragile parts, I keep any fragile parts seperately wrapped, and avoid stuff banging against stuff inside the package. Wrap the parts, and use the peanuts as a filler, or just use wadded up paper. Use nothign but peanuts, and stuff tends to sink to the bottom, where it will take the most direct damage from being dropped. I suggest packing somethign well enough to survive holding it out at arms length, and drop kicking it.
Also the kicker to freight costs, is "dimensional" weight, If the box is less than 30 lbs. but big enough, (Length+width+height= 81 inches (rounded up) or more) it will be charged a higher rate.

http://www.wastelandweekend.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:54 pm 

let me know if you need large boxes Trekker, I live near you, and I have unlimited numbers of boxes from small, to Giant.

also Fed Ex and UPS Dimensional weight..

Length x width x height / 166 = Charged weight.

so 32 x 20 x 10 = 6400 / 166 = 38lbs,
Which means the minimum weight charge is 38lbs.
Always ship larger items as compact as can be, and leave no room to move.

Defiant? Terror Dome" find a buyer locally, or buy good insurance.
It will not make it unscathed.

also, for the large items, try and get buyers who can ship to business address's.
FedEx Ground is cheap as dirt, it's Home Delivery which kills the price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:32 pm 

Regardless of past problems with Craigslist, it won't cost you a dime to post it there. If you get to the point you want to sell, just try it out and see if you get a decent price. It isn't going to hurt at all and you might be able to unload stuff without the hassle of shipping. No risk, fair potential. Why the heck not?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])