Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Lost my job on Sunday MAJOR UPDATE 12/3/21
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:51 pm 
DarkJedi'd

I haven't really told anyone on here yet, except Spectre, but this past Sunday was my last scheduled shift at my job. 28+ years of highs and lows, meeting and working with great and not so great fellow employees, and interacting with the customers (also great and not so great).

We were told last Thusday that Sunday was our last day open. The 'official' story was our company didn't want to sign a 30 year lease for $1,000,000. The location had been there since either '85 or '87. The story in the termination letter was COVID related. Them deciding to close down was the reason why they hadn't gotten the heat fixed (two units on roof, one working extra to provide heat to the entire building as the other untit wasn't working at all).

Monday and Tuesday was spent going through the restaurant and packing/throwing out stuff/breaking down shelving, transporting items, etc.

I spent the majority of Tuesday breaking down big 15+ Metro shelves, loading up the shelves, and transporting them home as they could not be taken to another store. Four truck loads of Metro shelves, from 2 foot by 2 foot up to 6 foot by 2 foot. All those years of veggie oil and foor release left residue on the shelves no matter how hard we scrubbed them over the years. Anyway, I don't know the dollar amount, but I probably got over 3K in Metro shelving. I plan to take pics of all the shelving when I have better light outside.

Also, since the majority of the dine-in materials (polios, spatulas, kitchen materials, etc) could not be used at another store, it was going to be tossed out. With out store having hard water and years of use, they aren't spotless, but we washed them every use. My Mom and I filled several car loads of materials to donate to her church (napkins, plastic bags, spoons, silverware, plates, cups paper goods, cleaning supplies and storage materials, cutting utensils, shakers, kitchen tools, individually wrapped knives/forks/straws, wood shelving, garbage cans, Rubbermaid salad bar cart, Metro shelf carts, Christmas decorations, etc, etc, etc). Basically anything still unopened was able to be taken to other units, anything open was getting tossed away. Since I'm a packrat and hate to see usable items thrown out, I was allowed to get it out of the store and give it to the Church.

Two days of clean up got me up over 51 hours, so that will help when NY State figures out Unemployment Insurance.

I reached out to a former boss and am trying to get into Cornell University, although there is a temp firing freeze through December. I worked a summer for Cornell back right after school, and left the job on good terms, so that helps.

There are two businesses (a new Dollar General being built and Incodema3D) that are both about 1.5 miles away from home that I could look into. Incodema3D https://incodema3d.com/ is a manufacturing facility that deals with 3D printing.

I am not freaking out or anything at this time, just disappointed that we have been working short staffed and very hard to keep the restaurant (chain restaurant) open and going. One store manager, two other managers, and two drivers doing everything. All that hard work and nothing.

After 28 years of interacting with the public; dealing with 'Karens' and the like; dealing with younger generations of employees that don't seem to understand the concept of work ethic ("What's this, 'work ethic'?"); dealing with the negative aspects of customer service; or having to cover/adjust my schedule with little to no warning; I am looking for a job where I won't be obligated to work that way anymore. If there is extra shifts, I can accept or decline at my discretion. Customer service is customer service, and I've done that. I am looking for a job where I go in, do the job, and go home. No crazyness or BS.

I have to admit, I felt like the Grinch going through the restaurant and packing everything up. I even took all the paper towels from the dispensers, all the hand soap and sanitizers units, and all the unused toilet paper. My Boss took out light bulbs he had just replaced last Wednesday.

Last edited by DarkJedi on Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: Lost my job on Sunday
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:23 pm 

i feel for you. it's hard. i am almost 2yrs since my shop got outsourced. 15yrs (i was the new guy),3 owners, but basically the same crew. i still dream about work. i knew i was going to have to stop working, but would of hung on until i couldn't get up and go.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:25 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Hate to hear this. Keep us updated!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:40 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Man, that's sad news for you (and your family)......
I hope you'll be able to find something new soon!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:04 pm 
Plug
Plug

Sorry man. It is going to get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. Keep plugging away applying places. Think of it as an unplanned holiday vacation if you can.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:14 pm 
DarkJedi'd

OK, it has been a rough couple of months, but I have some great news!

First the short story: I GOT A NEW JOB!!!!

I will be working at Crossings, a small residential cafe on the Campus of Cornell University. It's roughly the same distance to this place as my last job. Not sure of benfits and all that good stuff yet, but making more money than before. It ticks off quite a few things on my lookfor list, considerably less stress, consistant schedule, relaxed environment, advancement opportunities, job rewards, and better perks.It wasn't the initial position I was contacted about, but there is a good opportunity to slide over into that slot in the near future. After many hurdles, I only have a few things to work out. Today is/was my start date, but critical information has not been made available to me yet, delaying things.

The long story: The trials and tribulations (aka my LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG journey to employment)

Today was supposed to be my first day, but the 'getting me the necessary forms in a timely manner' aspect of it has delayed that until next week.

I will be working at Cornell University at a Residential Cafe on campus, under the tutelage of one of my old Boss/Area Managers.

I attended a job fair the end of September and talked with the Head of Dining at Cornell. He thought I would be a perfect fit for one position, but I was a bit apprehensive about continuing on being hands-on food prep and Management of one of their busiest locations. Instead of getting my foot in the door, mastering one skill, and then another, and so on, I would have been jumping in feet first into a system I knew nothing about and be expected to know everything immediately and do Management accordingly.

I then submitted my application for another position. I did a Zoom interview the day I went for a COVID test. When I was out and about, my old Boss called me telling me the interviewer had spoke with me and he was following up with my old Boss. My old Boss says, "Hey, I know him, the position he applied for is below him, I have a better idea for him working for me at this cafe." I was interested and asked about coming in and getting a tour to check it out. That was an well received and I explained it might be a few weeks since I had just gotten the test and didn't know the results. He said to call him back when I could.

So, early November I call him back, tell him I'm cleared, plus additional time for recovery, and would like to arrange the tour. We finally met up and I spent a hour looking around. Small, but decent sized venue, chill and relaxed working environment, majority of foodstuffs are prepared elsewheres on campus and transported in daily. Felt positive about the position.

Next day I discover someone else had been hired for that spot, but there was another lesser position at the same place. At his advice, I accepted that position and theystarted the hiring procedures.

Those were a PITA. I had submitted everything I had to them, resume-wise. They use a third party hiring system, which didn't have their ducks lined up in a row. Broken links, site issues, 404 error pages, etc, etc throughout all of November.

I get sent emails telling me steps to complete for the background checks. Links don't work and copy/paster results in 404 messages. I am still in contact with a Rep from HR.

Finally get the working link late Thanksgiving Eve. Try to quickly go through that, only to discover site treats me like returning member, not new. Can't put in a password since I haven't created one. Can't apply for a new password since I don't have an old one. Called them on Black Friday and they resend vital info. Again, same email, same broken links, and no password prompt. I finally get in, and discover I have to provide my entire work history again after already submitting that.

A week goes by after I do that and then I get a request for seven years of W2s. I deal with that, trying to access my old employer's website and dashboard. Took several days to get those, then had issues uploading to 3rd party site (Submit button not working). Finally get told I have a start date of 12/3, but need to complete orientation and Onboarding first or I can't start. I ask multiple times when I could expect these emails, when the Onboarding will start, when can I get a parking pass, etc. Get told all questions will be answered during orientation. But I still need parking pass to attend orientation!

I check calendar, realize time is running out, and again contact the HR Rep. I still get more requests for additional tax info.

Was told I could expect emails for orientation and onboarding any day, but needed my official ID to complete any of that. Received my ID name just before 5PM yesterday. Again contacted HR as I am supposed to report at noon today, but still hadn't gotten any emails about orientation. Was told yes I am told to show up for orientation. I still have not been told WHERE, WHEN, or any other actual details so I can do the orientation. Now, there are different orientations (Student, Vendor, Faculty, Staff) and they each have different buildings scattered around campus, so I can't just show up and go to one-again, need the parking pass. I can't call them, because they aren't listed in the local phone book as it's an University not a business/private phone, plus I am in contact with HR in the first place.

I wake up this morning to a reponse. "Yes, you can attend Orientation today!" Great, still no mention of WHERE and WHEN. I now get online and use my ID to get into their hiring system, since I had to let the ID register overnight. I see 14 things I now have to accomplish before I can actually work, even though I am supposed to report at noon.

I do what I can, and go to sign up for Orientation. Next available session for in person or Zoom call? Next Wednesday or Thursday. I complete as many as the tasks as I can. I notice I had gotten a call from the head of dining while I was asleep. I contact HR again to find out what I am supposed to do now as it is after noon.

So, between multiple phone calls with head of dining and emails to the HR Rep, plans changed three times alone today in a three hour span. [SIGH]

So now I show up Monday to work, complete another shorter Zoom call, and get hands-on training at the cafe. Tuesday I show up for more training. Once I find out when Orientation is, I have to attend that.

Then I get to go through the Onboarding, whenever that shows up.

And I still won't have access to a parking permit or temp parking permit so I can do all of this next week. So I have to make arrangements for rides until I get the permit, which could not even be next Friday...

Post subject: Re: Lost my job on Sunday MAJOR UPDATE 12/3/21
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:18 am 

Hugs.
Hopefully things get running smoother for you.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])