Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 8bitboy's Projects Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 11:13 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
glad to see you on :) i thought we lost you! what can i say other than WOW! that 3rd go is another great looking figure. very impressive sculpting and good call lengthening his legs. i kick myself for passing up 3packs with that killercroc on clearance for $5 :( i was like i'll never use those. a few weeks later i was looking for motu fodder....

Thanks! I'm still around. Just not working as quickly as I used to. Managed to do the Pirate De L'espace, Gor v3 and today's update in the time. Scarlett's body is finished. Just needs painting. Bummer though that now that you need Croc's body, you can't have it. Did you try ebay maybe?

sgcaper wrote:
Great looking work. I'll be following along to watch the progress

Thanks man :)

Torak

In the last update featuring Ceji Arbois Group Action Joe entry: Pirate De L'espace (or Geyperman's Pirata Espacial), I mentioned other international countries throwing their hats in the ring and creating their own sci fi lore to battle against their own G.I. Joes. The only other one I've managed to discover is Brazil's take. Estrela's Falcon 80 carried the humble military theme into the sci fi age. The villain this time was none other than Torak, the Evil Genius!

Not much is known about him. From the tidbits I managed to translate, he's an alien scientist and evil genius. He as being very powerful and having a left hand for a claw, a robotic head and a power vest that he uses blast a 'death ray' at his opponents. He had a secret laboratory with all kinds of evil science doodads. It doubled as the artwork in his original packaging which was clever for the time. He really doesn't like Brazil's G.I. Joe, Falcon or his ally Condor, the man he nearly killed who was transformed into a cyborg to survive. He was immensely popular upon his release too.

Homage

He was built using the Marvel Legends Cosmic Marvels 2-Pack Mar-Vell body; MTF Blank Body forearms and right hand with modified MTF right hand with 30th Anniversary Scarlett's knee joints used as pincers; BFS Spartan Helmet; unidentified G.I. Joe missile ammo backpack; and Canceled Jurassic World Tattooed Mercenary Vest heavily, heavily modified.

Most terrifying part of this custom was the head. I had no idea how I was going to do the intricate angles and shapes. It's definitely not perfect but still works for what it is. The second scariest part was coming up with a way for the pincers to have the unique look. Scarlett's knees tore apart on their own perhaps due to degradation. They were used as the pincers. They were cut very delicately. Next came the cape and collar. The cape wasn't too difficult to do but the collar took some creativity. It's a separate piece that is held in place by 3 wires covering the most extreme dimensions. Lastly, finding a way for the cape to flow down behind the back but not behind the vest piece took a little inventive work. Cut a hole in the base rear of the vest to do it. The backpack holds it in place.

The only thing missing is a gold chain to hold the two parts together. I'll find one eventually. He came out well I believe.

Extra:

Progression

Last edited by 8bitboy on Wed May 26, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:02 am 

more amazing mods! i'm past the motu hump, i think, for now :)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:06 am 
Formerly Push You Down

These are so much fun. I love them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:19 am 

Repost - He's not a "proto-villain" as he appears in a lot of media before his eventual resurgence in infamy in IDW's G.I. Joe and Transformers comics. In the original Battle Action Force comics, he was supposedly of Swiss descent, raised and educated in Britain, graduated from college, joined the army, went rogue and became the fanatical leader of the Red Shadows. "Blood for the Baron!". He eventually, betrayed his own organization and started a new one: Cobra. He became the Action Force Cobra Commander. Didn't like that. The IDW take saw the original Joe Colton take on the mantle of the Baron for a short time. I didn't like this either.

Anyway, I decided that this new Baron Ironblood was a former disciple who took on the mantle. He believed the world needed a Baron Ironblood and he will continue what the previous one didn't have the heart to finish.

He was made by using the 2017 Ninja Force & Transformers Cobra Commander body; unidentified head which happened to be compatible with G.I. Joe bodies; single sticker decal for the skull and crossbones logo; helmet made from that thin black plastic that is used to cover the edges of boxes. It was interesting creating the helmet actually. The template used for the helmet comes from the original toy's helmet schematics.

Original:

Last edited by 8bitboy on Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:19 am 

Who remembers the leader of the Time Enemies known as The Master of Time? Anyone? No? Maybe? That's ok. He's very much closer to fan fiction status than anything official due to being a lore based character than an actual action figure on Gargon's (Palitoy's take on Super Joe's Terron) box.

I recently decided to update him again but I wanted to give him an appearance that would also honour a celebrity that we lost last year. Who is this celebrity?

I chose to honour the late Chadwick Boseman. The head is a 3D printed custom. It really captures his look. He dons an MTF helmet which I'll paint up at some point. It was either I honoured him by making him the French Pirate de L'espace or Master of Time and felt that Master of Time made for a better fit.

Also updated Torak's skin colour and trimmed the neck of his armour to bring him even closer to his original design.

That's all for now. I'm light on updates but will be back with more.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:34 am 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

Wow! TORAK!

You did a great job. Love him!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:38 am 

chad_ghost wrote:
Wow! TORAK!

Thank you! You know Torak?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:54 am 

your set keeps getting better! i liked the old master of time, but the new one is ok. maybe you will move that head onto a black panther at some point :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:00 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
your set keeps getting better! i liked the old master of time, but the new one is ok. maybe you will move that head onto a black panther at some point :)

Yea I feel ya. The way the set keeps growing, getting that head on a Black Panther 3.75 figure isn't outside of my imagination. I like exploring things until I either get bored and want to change it or it needs to match the source material better. Never know :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:53 pm 
Foreign Vehicle Driver
Foreign Vehicle Driver

8bitboy wrote:
chad_ghost wrote:
Wow! TORAK!

Thank you! You know Torak?

Totally!
And his helmet was reused on a Hall of Fame Destro body in the 90s and at one point in neon green!

:ghost: Chad & Matthew's Custom GI Joe Figures :mayor:
emoticons by Sapper

Be transformed at army4One.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:33 pm 

REPOST - She's not a "proto-villain" but a new character adopting the identity of a known one. She's definitely intended to be the replacement for the classic 90s nemesis of the same name in the IDW comic series. Her name is Mercy Gale, formerly a special agent of the Action Man Program. Frustrated with the reactive methodology of her organization, she chose a more proactive approach to saving the world: by assuming the role of Doctor X anonymously. She managed to do some good by doing a lot of bad. Eventually she gets found out and officially became "Europe's Greatest Super Villain" (pretty lame actually) and an enemy to both the Action Man Program and the United Kingdom. Anyway, seeing as this was the IDW version of Action Man, I wanted to give him a matching arch nemesis in the IDW version of Doctor X. Just fighting Cobra seemed... cliche.

This is how she looks in the comics.

My take using the different colours on various items to homage each colourist's different take on her.

She was built using Marauders Task Force (MTF from here on) Valkyrie "Athena" light skin tone with black hair; G.I. Joe Steel Brigade mask respirator part for the peggable gas mask accessory on her chest; MTF "Sierra Ops" torso and shin guards (painted green and silver respectively); MTF "Ghost Ops" Hips and legs; MTF Left Handed gray and black pistol holster; and brown trench coat made using coffee brown spandex fabric sealed together with fabric glue. Probably my favourite accessory of hers.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:14 am 

Been sitting on this for a while whilst reinventing The Master of Time. Also planning on creating his master, The Mentor of Time.

To accomplish the illusion, two whips were built: flaccid and wired. Flaccid for inactive poses. Wired for active poses. Flaccid was built using a pair of elastic hair ties. The wired built using a headphone cable with a 0.5mm metal wire inserted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:31 am 

Wow! I consider myself a pretty knowledgeable action figure collector but I've never seen these guys. They all look so incredible. Love seeing the WIP pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:44 am 

These are really great. Did print and paint that head on Time Master or purchase it? That looks great.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:13 pm 

Love the Dr X. I may borrow some of the ideas for it.

Last edited by harlie on Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:23 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])