Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: 8bitboy's Projects Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:02 am 

Special thanks to 2DARK2C for his awesome support in this project. Could've done worse without you haha. Much appreciated.

Still relatively new to Joe Customs, I decided to make a thread to be on the safe side in case I find myself diving into a new project in the future. For now, I'll post previous, WIP and final customs. At the present moment I am doing my "Proto-Villain" Project. This project involves creative recreations of the enemies that Hasbro and Palitoy first created for G.I. Joe and Action Man way back in the 70s and 80s. These enemies remained in obscurity since and have received next to nothing where contemporary make overs or returns. are concerned. I decided to do them justice.

The first one up today is Super Joe's Terron or, as he's known as in the 80s Action Man line, Gargon.

I did Gargon v1 previously but I wasn't very happy with the result. It was my first attempt at dabbling in putty. To be honest, I was trying to be cheap and efficient. Ultimately, I wouldn't remain content.

So I went ahead and started working on Gargon v2. In my opinion a far superior take.

V2 was built using the Jurassic World Roarivores Ankylosaur; cannibalized frill, rear legs and horn from the previous Jurassic World Juvenile Triceratops; and a Mythic Legions Dwarven Copper Mace for the tail. The cool part about the Jurassic World Roarivores line is that they have action and sound gimmicks! Each time the back is pressed it makes roaring and stomping sounds whilst simultaneously swinging its tail! ROOARRR!!! *Swish, woosh*! Makes the effort worthwhile.

I'll write up a bio for him and the other members once I get a proper background set up. Eight entries for this project to go.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: 8bitboy's Projects Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:02 pm 

Spikes!

Amazing. Some WIP photos would have been interesting. I'd like to see what you sculpted/blended.

How does it scale next to figures?

The solid color works, but adding a wash would really punch up the textures. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:56 pm 

I know almost nothing about this era of toy history but I'm a big fan of making all these toy lines fit into a single continuity. Would love to see it posed with some modern figures (or whatever style your universe prefers) but it looks great!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:42 pm 

Ok - I would not know that was a custom if I hadn't been following your threads. Amazing work!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:30 pm 

that was well worth the work! post those wip pics! i have seen them and it is an amazing transformation :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:43 am 

past nastification wrote:
Spikes!

Amazing. Some WIP photos would have been interesting. I'd like to see what you sculpted/blended.

How does it scale next to figures?

The solid color works, but adding a wash would really punch up the textures. Just a thought.

Thanks, past nastification! Really good suggestions. There is some light sculpting on top of the middle legs, the head and a portion of the tail to conceal the mace head installation. Now, the part about adding a wash, I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Not sure if it will look right. I'll look it up and try it. If you have a resource that's helpful, I'm more than willing to explore it.

DanOfTheDead wrote:
I know almost nothing about this era of toy history but I'm a big fan of making all these toy lines fit into a single continuity. Would love to see it posed with some modern figures (or whatever style your universe prefers) but it looks great!

Thanks DanOfTheDead! I got into this in 2018. Ever since I stumbled onto this story that would never get picked up, I decided that I'd be a hero and finish it! That's when all this toy history started happening. It's only focused on the bad guys because the Proto-Heroes are done to death in customs. I wanted to see the bad guys get some real attention for a change. I'll be posting more images of them with modern figures in this thread in the coming weeks. Look out for those :D.

Chief wrote:
Ok - I would not know that was a custom if I hadn't been following your threads. Amazing work!

Good to read! Thanks much!

2DARK2C wrote:
that was well worth the work! post those wip pics! i have seen them and it is an amazing transformation :)

You got it!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:00 pm 

nice! you can practice doing washes on anything that has some texture. it will vary on how much paint to water you go with. it even varies on how you set it while you paint (how it holds the liquid) like my facehuggers i did a few weeks apart got the same exact paint, but ended up way lighter. all in the wash. i suggest painting something with your green and give it a black wash.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:57 am 
ARAHddict
ARAHddict

Nice to see the process of this project!
Something involving dinosaurs always has my attention. I like where this is going.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:27 am 

Wow! The work you did on that was well worth it. It looks fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:37 am 

2DARK2C wrote:
nice! you can practice doing washes on anything that has some texture. it will vary on how much paint to water you go with. it even varies on how you set it while you paint (how it holds the liquid) like my facehuggers i did a few weeks apart got the same exact paint, but ended up way lighter. all in the wash. i suggest painting something with your green and give it a black wash.

Ok. I am waiting for the weekend to work on it. Can't wait to try it. I'll see about finding a Youtube tutorial or article on it. and try the black on a test subject. Interestingly, I still have the wreckage of Gargon v1... hehehehe. I have a guinea pig :)

Tim 121RVC wrote:
Nice to see the process of this project!
Something involving dinosaurs always has my attention. I like where this is going.

Thanks dude! There won't be new dinosaurs but there will be more images of one of the most unique.

sgcaper wrote:
Wow! The work you did on that was well worth it. It looks fantastic.

Thanks! I now have a better appreciation for making some financial sacrifices. Ran me $40.00 to get the Ankylosaur due to its rarity on the aftermarket. I'll be perfecting it some more before posting him with a bio again.

To add, I did some more digging in the fiction and discovered two more bad guys I'll be adding to the Time Enemies! Extremely obscure but I hope to do justice by them. I don't believe either of them have ever received customs before as they've never been made into toys: purely in the fiction.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 am 

Been a while. I almost cut off the tip of my finger whilst cooking. Good news is I'm recovering and finally got around to completing a long time entry. I wrote sometime previously that I had completed the "Proto-Villain" Project with the work done on The Master of Time. I really believed Palitoy never had a hand in the invention of any more new villains for Action Man. That was until I stumbled onto this:

By total accident, I discovered the book had another Action Man Space Rangers story inside! Right in line with my theme and style of the Time Enemies. No doubt this story had villains but who were they? Enter the people of the Planet Margax:

The Margax people seemed to be a futuristic alien race of gold clad warriors and priests. They had everything from grand cities, spacefaring war vessels, fighter ships of various kinds and advanced weapons. They were ruled by Chylon, The Brain-Being. He was just a giant brain they worshipped. Not a very smart guy either going by the story.

I was juiced to bring new characters to the Time Enemies. So I chose to make Margax. I didn't want to do up yet ANOTHER warrior. So I went to work conceiving one of their priests. It wasn't until I started getting all the parts and doing the drawings that I knew I wanted to branch out and do something somewhat of an homage of the original source material yet unique from my vision. Enter:

The Margax Shaman!

The Margax Shaman was built using Vitruvian HACKS Blind Bag Anubis Cane Staff and head with putty for the nose and mouth; Vitruvian HACKS Black body with pink skeletal tattoos native to it (which was a huge inspiration towards making her a shaman in the first place); 3D Printed Vitruvian necklace and skirt; stretchy gold fabric for the hood and cape; and finally putty for the boot hoods on her calves and the gold wrap around her left forearm.

The philosophy behind her is this idea that she is a heretic in Margax society as she believes the Brain-Being is fallible. She attempted to travel into the past to fix things never learning that Rom and Space Ranger, Captain Jake Hardy, killed Chylon and destroyed the City Center of Margax in the process in her timeline. She encounters the other Time Enemies offering her special ability to commune with the four elemental spirits to lend her their power over Earth, Fire, Water and Air to return home! She must keep a good relationship with the spirits in order to do so. She can also commune with lesser ghosts as well.

Extras

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm 

holy donkey! that is a cool homage and great construction too!!

at first i was expecting either fortnite drift
or possibly stargate anubis helmets. the jackal comes right off.

may be a cheap way to army build some :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:22 pm 

2DARK2C wrote:
holy donkey! that is a cool homage and great construction too!!

at first i was expecting either fortnite drift
or possibly stargate anubis helmets. the jackal comes right off.

may be a cheap way to army build some :)

Thanks, 2DARK! I'll keep the suggestions in mind. I still have a pair of Anubis heads left from the box set if i ever plan on making other versions from the Margax race but i like your suggestions for other reasons.

I plan to create the 4 totems that represent each of the elemental spirits. Little Pokémon looking guys I'm envisioning but resemble Margax people in some way. Thinking about crafting them as miniatures. Gonna head over to your thread for some ideas, haha.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:43 am 

Totally awesome, love this.

http://s1321.photobucket.com/user/customjoes74/library/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:47 pm 

please tell me you are building a big brain!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 pm (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])