Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: The A-Team: Hunter Stockwell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:01 am 

With three months to go to complete my 40th Anniversary A-Team set, Hunter Stockwell is the last "gotta have" figure for the set. The rest will be nice to have, but not as necessary.

This is my 3rd custom using Shark Tank figures in suit, and it's what I'd call a happy fail.

The head I used, an ARAH Chuckles, has a good facial match for actor Robert Vaughn, but it's still not perfect. The head is too large, so I resculpted the jacket lapels to balance this out, but they're too puffy. I also sculpted the hair too far forward on the forehead, and it's too thick.

Unlike Pike and Lynch, whose base figures have open jackets, Stockwell's jacket (a Kevin O'Leary figure) had a buttoned jacket. So while the newly sculpted jacket bottom hides the leg articulation cuts, the legs have very limited range. Pike and Lynch's legs can move forward and up to about 45 degrees, not horrible for suit figures.

As for the eyes, the effect works if you're looking at the figure straight-on. Look at It from an angle and it's obvious they're just painted straight onto the lenses. I tried solid lenses, but it didn't capture the creepiness of being able to see the eyes.

Give me feedback on the eyes, if you would. Curious to see if anyone likes them or not. Now I'm jonesing to try the painted eyes on an ARAH Tripwire head, just to see how it turns out...

Attachments:
hunter-stockwell-front.jpg
hunter-stockwell-front.jpg [ 83.63 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]
hunter-stockwell-back.jpg
hunter-stockwell-back.jpg [ 102.54 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]
hunter-stockwell-hannibal.jpg
hunter-stockwell-hannibal.jpg [ 150.8 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]
hunter-stockwell-pike-lynch.jpg
hunter-stockwell-pike-lynch.jpg [ 155.27 KiB | Viewed 3662 times ]
 Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: The A-Team: Hunter Stockwell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 1:44 pm 

Another great one. My only nitpick is that he should be noticably shorter than Hannibal. Robert was 5'9" and George was 6' (ok, I've seen him listed as 5'10" & 6', but pics of the two of them next to each other lead me to believe the 6').

Post subject: Re: The A-Team: Hunter Stockwell
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:20 am 

harlie wrote:
Another great one. My only nitpick is that he should be noticably shorter than Hannibal. Robert was 5'9" and George was 6' (ok, I've seen him listed as 5'10" & 6', but pics of the two of them next to each other lead me to believe the 6').

I'm not really happy overall with the figure, so I appreciate that you approve.

Scale is something that I mostly ignore- or forget about- until I put finished figures next to each other, then it gnaws at me if it looks too off. Stockwell doesn't really look right next to Pike or Lynch either, and they use the same body style.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:41 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])