Rules    FAQ
User: Guest ( Register )

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:44 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])

Forum rules

• This section is for honest critique of the work shown here. Members are encouraged to give and accept non-confrontational constructive criticism as well as adoring praise and everything in between.
  • In order to show case everyone's work equally, please post multiple customs on the same day into a single thread. If you have a lot of pictures of your work you may have to add them to a separate post within that thread.
  • Please do not link to a sale thread or to eBay from your critique thread. This section isn't to be used to market your finished work. The Market Place section is better suited for that purpose.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: themanw/oaname's sunset post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:33 pm 

I wanted to put some stuff up here before the boards are shut down.
Over the next couple of days or weeks I'll be adding more images to this thread of customs I've finished within the last couple of years. Sorry I spaced out for like two decades or something, but "life happened" for me during that time; it also takes me a ridiculous amount of time to finish a project and i refuse to share anything until i'm done (the millennium falcon in this first post took 6 years of blundering, i've been working on the disney xd cartoon version of the guardians of the galaxy for 8 years and counting.) (also no more holding the shift key in a regular manner because im tired of doing that.) (parenthesis)

I'll do my best to post a few more dio stories i made a few years ago after today's post. I want to avoid using the attachment function just in case the images are lost; and using an image host is going to take forever for how pic heavy these things are. you may notice paint chips and crap like that, i play with my customs. granted i dont do like afternoon adventures but best example is every so often i'll take my custom of myself out and play with it flying a-wings with my son or something.

in this first post some notes:
I've been working on making Lightyear figures into o-ring scale troops like warhammer 40k uh, troopers or o-ring sized people in a big mech space suit. whichever. i ended up making like 11 of these things because i kept seeing lightyear figures on clearance for 4 bucks and coming up with a new one to make. In the following photos, you're only going to see two because i dont have the figures complete with their jetpacks and blasters just the two of these. i feel like this is two of my recent "biggest projects" with the a-team and their falcon (called the baracus) and the space rangers - though you're only getting two of them.

All the space ranger heads are 3d printed on my fdm printer, i modified sadnessofhumanity's o-ring torso to fit in the small space that was created by removing the purple neck and neck ball in the Lightyear bodies.

Buzz Lightyear was the first one I made, I ended up taking his head out and putting it into a xl-15 buzz body. I thought "Hey I should make the group from the Buzz Lightyear of Star Command" cartoon and then I spiraled out of control.

In this dio story thing you'll also see my remnant a-team (which is the star of the show, next to my customs of my son and i) and over the course of a thousand edits to this post you'll see some comments of part lists, who the character is, etc.

please enjoy all the handshaking going on. atleast they're not all standing upright with weapons in their arms stretched out straight in front of them (that i see still going on for some reason, it's 2023 people.)

THE STORY:
After Mimban, in a galaxy far far away, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by an Imperial court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the galactic underground. Today, still wanted by the Empire they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team....
In these photos are my star wars A-team. "Spaceman" is meeting my son and i to coordinate a supply trade with a local regiment of space rangers. Behind Spaceman at the Baracus (a heavily modified kenner millennium falcon and 2010 otc falcon pics later. Ill add some interior pics at a later time) are pilot "Howling Mad", imperial security bureau agent "Hannibal", and mud trooper "DD" (Disagreeable Demeanor).
The Star Command Rangers are two of the 11 space rangers regimented in the area. Captain Lightyear and ranger mechanic Ayte are bringing up their supplies to trade.
Later you see Howling Mad check out my A-wing's custom atat/laat cannon modifications, and my son is helping Ayte run some diagnostics on it. My boy had an a-wing of his own modified for speed in the back.

"Let me introduce my friends"
SpaceMan
The head (i have a helmeted head as well to swap out), knee pad, pouches on the figure and bandolier, scout hip box, backpack and thermal detonators, leg holster and the non removable blaster are all 3d printed. The speeder bike is from potf2.
Torso: crankcase with belts removed. Scout trooper cumberbund and top vest etched into it.
Arms: leatherneck
Waist: steam roller
Legs: stalker v2.

Howling Mad
Head: 04 leatherneck
Body: windmill
Helmet: tie pilot

Mudtrooper "DD" - Disagreeable Demeanor
Head: 3d print of a kitbashed stormtrooper helmet with mudtrooper bumpcap with oring ball joint model
Torso: hit n run
Right arm recondo with lower arm 3d print of a stormtrooper arm kitbashed onto oring lower arm model
Waist: footloose with stormtrooper belt glued to it.
left arm: leatherneck v1
Right leg: outback
Left leg: scoop upper, stormtrooper boot 3d model kitbashed onto an oring lower leg 3d model
Cloak - outback napkin cut and sewn to the pattern of the canvas cloak mudtroopers used in solo.
Rifle/pistol: lame urso.
Torso armor and thermal detonator charges: stormtrooper 3d model and prints

ISB Agent Hannibal
Head: 3d model miniature from rm printable terrain modified with o-ring model.
Torso: techno viper
Right arm: windchill
Left arm: recondo with 3d model kitbash of various cybernetic miniature models upscaled and kitbashed to an oring lower arm
Waist: lt. Falcon
Legs: red star with index card holster straps
Torso armor: ISB agent armor 3d model rescaled to oring size with elastic straps.
Not seen: Valmet m82a rifle 3d print and sequel poe xwing pilot pistol

Me (my handles on the internet are "The Dark One" now, thanks to mad max) so i guess you can call this character that:
Head: flint 85 beret removed and hair/beard sculpted with greenstuff
torso: chuckles with the buttons removed so it's a vneck tshirt. if im not wearing a superhero or star wars tshirt i'm wearing a vneck.
right arm: cesspool with 40k marine shoulderpad
left arm: chuckles
waist and legs: ghostrider.
pistol belt and pistol: the six armed dude from solo.
Not pictured: He-man's sword of grayskull i'd gotten a cast of 20 some odd years ago with a sword of omens.

this is me as my dungeons and dragons character, where i play myself. i'd traveled from the real world, to the fantasy world, lost my arm, got the most powerful sword in the universe and gotten a green lantern ring; before the group disbanded we'd gone to space like star wars.

Groot:
my son is a phantom menace anakin with a hood and pant legs sculpted on. not pictured is his sword of grayskull that's from those tiny figures with the big bodies and little legs. my son's nickname is groot. when i walked out of the theater from watching guardians of the galaxy i promised when i have a kid im going to call them groot. guardians of the galaxy was a major part in me appreciating star wars again.

i figured, since i made a figure of myself with the intention of continuing my rpg character it would be fun to include my son so i made one of him. you can see there's a lot of paintrubs on our figures, because we use them alot. in the background of these images are our a-wings that we each fly around our home (so we get some outside time and i inspect the outside of our home for things to tidy up)

Ranger mechanic Ayte
Head: sollustan 3d model head from battlefront 2 kitbashed onto an oring ball joint 3d model shoved into a heavily modified oring torso model shoved into a lighteyar Izzy body and green stuff filled in)
Mechanical arms: final faction.

Buzz Lightyear
Head: some Warhammer 3d model head kitbashed onto an oring ball joint 3d model shoved into a heavily modified oring torso model shoved into a lighteyar body and green stuff filled in)

the supply drop is done

"let's check out my ride, i want ayte to take a look at some things with groot."
My A-Wing
it's a standard new star wars a-wing with bashed LAAT and ATAT and a big ol chord to power it.

the cannon really is a kitbashed LAAT and ATAT 3d printed and has parachord looped from it with different types of hold downs out of a windshield wiper. i got the parachord as heavy duty wiring idea from empiretoyworks.

in various shots you can see my son's A-Wing, that he took as his own after i all but given up on rit dying it (i didnt like this process back then when you guys started doing it, and having taken me 20 years to actually try it, i still feel the same way about it) in an attempt to dye it black to be like mad max's interceptor - which explains the mad max engine on top of it too. honestly, i didnt even have a chance to formally give up on it. he just took it and proclaimed that it was his. he likes purple, and it just worked out that way. anyway, in our universe it's modified for speed; as the v8 interceptor was.

"alright double d, let's get this stuff loaded up. we've got places to go and people to see."

thanks for looking. i'll toss some wip shots of the Baracus next. there's no order to them just a photo dump so you can see really why it took me 6 years and 3 otc falcon circuit boards to finish.

Last edited by themanwoaname on Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Customs Feedback / Brawlingness  

Post subject: Re: themanw/oaname's sunset post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 pm 

i lied. here's cable from deadpool 2. THEN i'll get on tossing the Baracus's wip pictures.

Cable time-sliding in from the future.
Head: 3d print of josh brolin cable model modified.
Torso: outback with modern hawk web gear
Right arm: outback
Left arm: nullifier with some cybernetic shapes carved in
Waist: leatherneck
Legs: footloose
Teddy bear: greenstuff
Cloak: cloth.
BFG: 3d kitbash of models of the parts used to make the real one. Kriss vector, ak47, barrel, flashlight, scope, sniper rifle barrel. I don't remember what exact parts because i made this a year ago and haven't taken pictures until today.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:30 pm 

The Baracus
since getting a 3d model of the milano to print was next to impossible when i started my disney xd guardians of the galaxy, so i decided to give starlord a yt-1300 since he references things all over the place and name it after a tv show he would have watched.

it's made out of a otc millennium falcon (for the lights and badass hyperdrive light thing) and a potf falcon rear hull. i cut open the front of the newer one for the rear hull and i cut open the top of the shell to make a second removable panel. lots of 3d printed parts, cardboard, cardboard packaging, card stock and plastic greeble crap. even cut offs of the original falcon hull.

the first half of this post, you can see my wip guardians of the galaxy working on it too, the second half you can see DD in it just because he was the closest figure to use to show how figures would look in it, and that's when i decided "maybe i should put all these remnant figures together and make a star wars remnant a-team."

about here is where i mentioned that this became the vehicle for the remnant a-team. but also, i realized that i could totally greeble the crap out of this thing on the inside with 3d printed seats, 3d printed greebles and take a hair off the piles of plastic junk i'd saved to greeble but always wanted to save for a rainy day that i'd never use. filler primer and spraying way too much spraypaint was my friend at this point.

no pictures of the actual paint process. i wanted to paint the black with a blue pearl that turned into a nightmare; and the panel on the back that covered the exhaust ports - i kept breaking them. after that and spending 100 bucks on just a replacement circuit board i wanted to be done with this thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:30 pm 

that's it for today. smell you later.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:56 am 

Some excellent custom work, and it is awesome that your son is involved! The parts you printed are seamlessly incorporated and fantastic sculpting. I thought the Flint head on your self custom was Mercer v.2 at first glance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:10 am 

Void wrote:
Some excellent custom work, and it is awesome that your son is involved! The parts you printed are seamlessly incorporated and fantastic sculpting. I thought the Flint head on your self custom was Mercer v.2 at first glance.

thank you!

your 3d model ball and neck joint is in all the 3d printed heads!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:47 pm 

This is exactly the kind of stuff that I'm going to miss when the board shuts down.

Wonderful work. Parts from left field used in inspired combinations.

You've sunsetted with an inspiring show.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:21 am 

past nastification wrote:
This is exactly the kind of stuff that I'm going to miss when the board shuts down.

Wonderful work. Parts from left field used in inspired combinations.

You've sunsetted with an inspiring show.

hell yeah, one of my favorite customizers!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:33 pm 

so, im kind of stuck on getting my next couple of batches of photos uploaded here. because i never complete a project in a reasonable time i managed to lose 40 1:18 terminator plasma rifles that took a stupid long time to print because i was printing one at a time on my fdm printer to run the last bit of filament out. when i eventually did run out the filament i tossed them in a coffee can and then subsequently lost that coffee can. these plasma rifles were meant for terminators for a dio i'd been wanting to do since 2015; to show off my "military" themed gijoe customs that i completed before 2006 when i stopped doing joe customs for years.

so while i print new plasma rifles with better detail out of resin, and cure, and paint them; i also have my space rangers that i have just their laserguns i have to detail paint and they'll be ready to share here, these mandos will have to do until then. i shared them on an o-ring facebook group, but i figure in the mean time putting this stuff here too wouldnt hurt for when future people look back and facebook lost the social media wars of 2198. :nicepants: actually i have a lot of really great stuff i tossed on that group that i'll be putting here instead of working. kind of excited about sharing it here. that's a mess of words. i've edited this post many times and im giving up on it making any sense and not just a stream of consciousness.

anyway this couple of mandalorians with a short dio for star wars day. They'd been finished for months before this shoot and ive been putting off taking pictures. Finally had a chance and a reason to.

Pilot
Head: 3d rescale and print from seb miniatures/anvil rage miniatures pilot minis model and cloth braided string from helmet to chest box
Torso: rampart with armor, chest box, and back box remixed and rescaled from same pilot mini model
Arms: lift ticket
Waist: fast draw
Upper legs: blaster
Lower legs: airborne with broken knee caps
I painted the hell out of these guys. Lots of tiny stuff was painted on them.
The custom vehicle is a final faction atv with some axles i designed to turn the wheels into boosters, which i glued some food pouch caps to.

Commando (body recipe borrowed from jonah hardenbrook - i cant remember his custom tag. i want to call him turbomagnus. but it's jogunwarrior.)
Head: 3d printed head using imperial supercommando helmet file
Torso: leatherneck v1
Arms and legs: skidmark
Waist: fast draw

this is the mandalorian i intend to be like a scout or recon. He's supposed to be really good at hiding. He's so good that he wears yellow armor to show off.
Head: thingiverse jodo kast mini model rescaled
Torso: blaster
Waist: hydro viper
Legs: 91 grunt
Arms: fast draw uppers, remixed boba fett left gauntlet models merged to resized sgt.slaughter models from thingiverse.
Jetpack: remixed sabine jetpack with my backpack peg file, both on thingiverse.
Westar pistol: shaved down mission fleet deathwatch.
I think my mandalorians are getting better. Like my other mandalorians names based on what they do: "commando" and "pilot"- his name is "scout".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:47 am 

terminator rifles are all cured. today during lunch im going to hot glue them to skewers to batch spray paint. sometime this weekend i'll be painting the space ranger blasters and getting pictures. so for the next couple of posts im ganking my customs i have pictures of from a facebook group.

in the meantime, since time is crunching HARD here's my cyberpunk Warduke and his horse Nightmare from dungeons and dragons. but cyberpunk:

This is my cyberpunk/space warduke and his horse "nightmare". While I don't have any idea how to use the chaos sorcerer in my story (next post), warduke is exactly how he's used in dungeons and dragons. It's also THE Warduke. He's a mercenary/bounty hunter. He is in this universe because he came here through hunting a character. This guy set me on the path of cyberpunking/spacing fantasy characters.
Head: 3d model and print kitbash of warduke from dutch mogul and void's neckball both from thingiverse
Torso: night viper
Right arm: i dont remember. He's been finished for six months. could be sand scorpion?
Left arm and legs: darklon
Waist: crocmaster with fur cloth shaved with a beard trimmer so the hair is closer to a scaled pelt loincloth thing
Sword and shield: 3d model and print from dutchmogul warduke from thingiverse. The sword is painted to reflect the ice power from the cartoon even though everything else says it has fire powers.
Nightmare is his horse, which is a nightmare. I took a 3d model of stridor from desert octopus on cults3d and remixed the hell out of his legs so they're articulated. Then i printed some goat horns that matched the cartoon. I liked the flaming hooves that nightmares have so i made it a feature of this droid horse too. I imagine burned hoof prints left everywhere it lands and walks around.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:58 am 

couple of notes: these customs are long finished and i just copied the posts verbatim. in warduke i said i dont have a use for chaos sorcerer figured out yet, but at the same time, i should have taken pictures of these two together. but i didnt. and i have a bunch of pictures i need to get up here. i made some space/cyberpunk ghostbusters, but im stuck on the third figure right now and i dont like to share projects when im in the middle of them. i may share what i have if i get my bigger dio things done.

This is a cyberpunk version of the chaos sorcerer from heroquest. I have a "space/cyberpunk" setting in my head for my figures. he's been done for a few months. The hang up was getting that backdrop finished and a minute to take a photo.
Parts
Head: 3d model and print kitbash of void's skull head from thingiverse and a chaos sorcerer head for that helmet.
Torso: dr. Mindbender v1
Arms: monkey wrench
Waist: nemesis enforcer
Legs: mindbender v1
Belt: trap jaw belt center 3d print with elastic strap drybrushed gold
Cloak: i downplayed the work i went into this in the facebook group, but that's blue cloth with a yellow ribbon sewed to it with a wire so i can pose it.

Post subject: PHANTOM STARKILLER
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:20 am 

listen, i am super freaking proud of this custom. i worked my butt off making him. not only did i sew some stuff for it, but this one is where i learned how to panel line paint and applied that technique to his head and hands. i was just thinking if there's ever a fire and i am tossing stuff out of the window to preserve it; this custom is one of my customs i'm going to do that to (along with my customs of my son and i and our a-wings). same thing goes for his ship, and im not even a fan of v-wings; just mine because of how awesome it is.

PHANTOM STARKILLER
dudes. This guy is bad ass. He's an original character by killer bootlegs that ill never be able to afford. I decided to go with his original look, but change things around a bit for him made out of gijoe parts instead of star wars and 5 poa figures. Im SUPER happy with his paint job, especially around his face and skeleton arms and his thigh pads. I sewed his cloaks making my own robe pattern. Toypolloi lando cape pattern was used for the blue cape. I painted under his robes but failed to take a picture.
I included his wrecked vwing fighter with space magic repairs (the blue parts are magically replaced force ghost type parts) and the ship itself is in a constant state of smoldering wreckage (like the flying dutchman or other ghost ships). He's like a sith/bounty hunter/master of the universe kind of thing in my head so he gets a ship like that.
Head: jason bandy cast skull head
Torso: rampart
Arms: nascar racing superstars dremed into bones with highlights and wash
Waist: blaster with the vertical belts sanded off.
Legs: knockdown with upper leg nonsense removed.
Chest belts: rio durant from solo and some custom straps im an idiot for not taking pics of.
Waist belt: djas phur from potf2 or whatever.
He also glows in the dark about as good as glow in the dark paint glows in the dark.

Vwing was a busted vwing without wings, they're 3d printed.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:01 am 

Fantastic work all around! I especially love all of the kitbashing of parts that you do, and you have every right to be as proud of that Phantom Starkiller custom as you are. He turned out amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:33 am 

hokay. so. im starting to lean on "these space rangers dont need red/blue/green" fine detail on the blasters. but they will need the plasma dry brushing so. and only one of the terminator rifles is painted with it's black details. this week is borked for all the crap i have to take care of. maybe tomorrow i'll paint them during lunch. maybe thursday night.

anyway, here's two of my favorite many characters of all time. gonna do the little dio story that's sort of connected to PHANTOM STARKILLER's then show off the figures.

"i hate dinosaur planet"

"Michael. Mr. Provost must deliver that package."
"oh boy. Skeets, let's bring it back a little and fix some stuff."
"this is not solidified time, but i can only pull time back this far."
"that's good, Skeets. i can work with that."

"jees, you'd think light craft would be "lighter."
"this is an upgraded model of the skyhawk Michael."
"what's it upgraded for? space travel?"
"yes, it is upgraded for space travel."
"huh. you'd think a light space craft would be "lighter."

"did i ever tell you how much i hate dinosaurs? especially dinosaur planet?"
"yes michael. however this is not "dinosaur planet"
"it's always running with these things. even the ones that dont eat people."
"dinosaurs do not eat people michael."
"well, they ate that guy!"

"you can start moving the velociraptors with the other one. please try not to leave any evidence we were here."
"you mean like that coke can in the back there?"

"Skeets, do you think their tails would come off like a lizards if i pull them by their tails?"
"that should do it Michael. let's go back to our vantage point and see this unfold."
"im not going to get rid of those trails i left dragging them in the sand. they're big lizards and he's being chased by them. no one is going to notice."
"i do not detect any chronal anomalies if you dont. that will be fine."

"awright Skeets, you can let'er rip!"
"acknowledged. continuing time, now."

"ugh. i hate really hate dinosaur planet."

"we did good today Skeets."
"we did Michael. Mr. Provost and the package are en route to their destination."
"do you think he hates dinosaur planet too?"
"the planet is not called "dinosaur planet", but he does indeed strongly dislike this place."
"good deal."

Chuckles
This has been a wip not as long as my second figure but just the embarrassingly long enough time because i couldn't settle on how to paint his hawaiian shirt. I didn't want blue, i didn't want magnum p.i. so i went with his movie look.
Head: jp general with 3d printed ball joint added.
Torso: footloose, filled with resin and sanded to look like a shirt (filling the torso helps when sanding down a lot of crap because the plastic gets real thin or you can make a hole. It didn't cure right for my booster gold and his leg)
Arms, waist, and legs: sonic fighters tunnel rat.
Pistol with silencer jvc
Rifle PTE
duffel reaction breaking bad meth kid.

BOOSTER GOLD
as of 2020 his figure has been a wip for 15 years. I finally got the fortitude to sand, fill and paint him then. He's my favorite superhero and he's the greatest you never knew. I hate the upper right leg crack, which ill be fixing (i have not yet done so). The yellow was a disaster. I had to buy an airbrush to get that butter smooth coat.
Head: general hawk 91 with mirage goggles dyed yellow
Torso: outback
Arms: TOMAX/XAMOT
Waist: uh. 91 snake eyes.
Upper legs: dr.mindbender
Lower legs: saw viper
SKEETS: ignis quadrant drone 3d printed mini from ec3designs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:32 pm 

im stealing the idea of a combined universe through the multiverse for my toys. to get around making fantasy figures with parts i have, i have converted them to cyberpunk/space themed. i have been trying to make customs for groups to play in the mini agnostic game five parsecs from home.

masters of the universe is one such thing, though it was already fantasy scifi. i dont have it very fleshed out how it fits, but it fits. battle cat does not transform because prince adam needs all the powers of grayskull he has because he's so far away from castle grayskull. the other thing, is skeletor is here too, and they have to work together in my five parsecs from home game imagination thing. i dont have photos of skeletor in my facebook album. so i'll have to take some at a later time. since i likely wont, here's he-man and cringer.

(i also have beastman and whiplash made too.)

By the power of grayskull, we have the power!
(There's precedent for a multiverse of he-mans, and I've made my dungeons and dragons defender sword that world's sword of grayskull.)
he-man
head: 3d print using motuc scan for the head.
torso: long range
arms: bazooka
waist: mindbender with buckle modified to an H
legs: sneak peek.
i wanted to go with a battle armor he-man color scheme. there was also some preview dc comics he-man costume and that's where i got the idea to give him pants.

cringer is some 1:18 scale line of animals that i only ever saw once and got him in a lot. i only wanted him they came with him. while painting him i noticed that his stripes are not only inconsistent, but also since filmation was cutting animation corners they were mirrored. so that was "fun" to figure out what i was going to do.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:44 am (All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ])